Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • star wars tonight – 2d, 3d or 3dimax
  • MadBillMcMad

we are off to see it tonight

Are the 3d or 3dimax any good or should it be trusty old 2d ?

z1ppy

… just make sure there’s (decent*) tickets available before you go 🙁 and don’t trust women other ppl (not my partner) to be organised to do this first?

Hoping to see it soon.. when I’ve booked the seating

*I am not sitting on my own when I go to the cinema with my partner and will not use ‘crap’ (front row in this case) seat because that all that’s available for the best part of £20.

Jamie
    Free Member

I will be going 2D when I go in the new year. Never seen a 3D film, tho, so there is that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kryton57

Going 2d in about 90 minutes with junior. There were no 3d seats left, but i didnt want to be distracted with specs anyway.

#oldskool

mrlebowski
    Free Member

2D IMAX.

It’s been filmed in 70mm & in 2D. The 3D effects are added in post-production. A friend of mine, whose an AD & stuntman, has previously told me that unless the film is made in 3D, then post-production 3D is really just rather shite in comparison. You’d be better off watching the film in the format it’s been filmed in basically…

For an example of the difference:

Drac

I seen it in 3D iMax it was brilliant but not sure they’d be much loss without 3D the IMAX added a lot though.

ampthill

2D as 3D gives me eye strain

2D imax sounds good too

Hohum
    Free Member

Going to see it in 3D IMAX this afternoon with son and youngest daughter.

We have decent seats because I booked them back on 13th December.

We are all looking forward to it a lot!

MoreCashThanDash

Paddington 2 for the win, far more enjoyable.

And I quite like Star Wars.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Question is whether it was filmed with imax cameras or is the imax open matte. i.e. was it shot for imax, or was it shot for widescreen?

Personally, as I can’t reproduce imax at home, I’ll likely stick with standard widescreen. If I can be bothered to watch it at all. I’m a bit meh about it.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

By the looks of things 70mm IMAX:

Tech specs

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Whichever format costs you the least money

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s definitely a film that warrants iMax. I’ve seen it with mates in standard cinema 2D but taking the kids to see it in 2D iMax.

What’s the point in seeing it, or anything, on the cinema then? Just wait for it to come out on DVD/BR or even get a dodgy copy downloaded for free off the internet and watch a grainy, wobbly image shot from someones iPhone from a cinema.

It’s a visually spectacular film so to enjoy it to its full you want to see it on the format that is most capable of delivering it, which is iMax. 2D or 3D is unto you, I personally think 3D detracts form the actual film and degrades the experience, so 2D for me.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Crap, looks like iMax only does 3D.

palmer77
    Free Member

I saw the 3D IMAX version, which according to my lads made it ‘The best movie ever!!!’ In my view the glasses are not that bad 🙂

We were going to go to the 4DX version, but it’s a long movie and I was worried about having to get up etc…

funclejester
    Free Member

We saw it in 3d IMAX , I’m not normally a 3d fan but in this case I really enjoyed it and glad we did + when I buy it I’ll only be able to watch it on my normal TV so made sense .

edhornby

I saw Rogue One in 3D IMAX in the chavworks in Manchester and it confirmed that I personally don’t like the 3D, saw Force Awakens in 2D and it was great, if you can find one in 4k res screen then this would be better

uponthedowns
    Free Member

It’s definitely a film that warrants iMax. I’ve seen it with mates in standard cinema 2D but taking the kids to see it in 2D iMax.

What’s the point in seeing it, or anything, on the cinema then? Just wait for it to come out on DVD/BR or even get a dodgy copy downloaded for free off the internet and watch a grainy, wobbly image shot from someones iPhone from a cinema.

Well you’ve made me say it. Cause its a crap film. I saw it in 3d but wish I’d just paid for the 2D version- or better still not bothered.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s alllright – but yeah, don’t spend loads, cos it ain’t a classic! £42 for 3 people at Vue was crazy so I plumped for £27 at the chavvy Reel. ( 😉 in case)

MadBillMcMad

cheers all

no good 3dimax seats – so that’s ruled out

going for plain old ordinary 3d.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘star wars tonight – 2d, 3d or 3dimax’ is closed to new replies.