Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Star Wars Squadrons
  • Premier Icon perchypanther
    Free Member

Holy shit! This looks awesome….

Microsoft really need to sort out VR for the Xbox 🙁

Premier Icon akira

Didn’t realise it was vr, ooh might need to think about this. Been playing the Starfighter bits in battlefront to prepare me for it.

Premier Icon chomp
    Free Member

this might actually tempt me to pick up a VR headset for the PS4 (esp as they’ve stated the newer ones will be PS5 compatible)

Premier Icon Cougar

Man, I’ve been waiting for this game since Freespace 2. Which probably means it’ll suck.

I feel a HOTAS coming on.

Premier Icon perchypanther
    Free Member

Which probably means it’ll suck.

Doubt it. If it’s anything like the X Wing VR mission demo that came with Battlefront 2 then it’ll be utterly brilliant. The most immersive 10 mins of video game i’ve ever played.

Premier Icon zilog6128

Could be awesome with VR! Loved X-Wing/Tie Fighter BITD.

Premier Icon Drac

Oh yes I’m quietly excited but Star Wars are either excellent or a steaming pile of shit.

This seems to be the new X-wing and Tie-fighter.

Premier Icon akira

Yeah games constantly come out and they look amazing and get great reviews and I okay them and bleh. Got no man’s sky which is supposed to be good with VR but shelling out £300+ for VR and controllers not cheap

Premier Icon sobriety
    Free Member

I’ve ben waiting for this game since the original X-Wing/Tie Fighter/X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter games.

Please don’t let it be shit, but given some of EA’s recent attempts…I’ve a bad feeling about this…being a lootbox unlockable pay to win grindfest…

Anyhoo if it’s “not shit” then @Cougar a good choice of starter HOTAS is the Thrustmaster T16000M

Or if you want to go super spend: https://virpil-controls.eu/

There are options inbetween the two – but they’re generally all a bad compromise between ergonomics/longevity/modernity of the design/price.

Premier Icon molgrips

I might be tempted…

Free Member

I’ve a bad feeling about this…being a lootbox unlockable pay to win grindfest…

It explicitly says in the trailer that you can get all the options and cosmetics just by playing the game.

EA got badly burnt by the backlash to the microtransactions in Battlefront 2 which they had to change in a patch. Can’t see them dropping that same clanger again.

Premier Icon Drac

EA got badly burnt by the backlash to the microtransactions in Battlefront 2 which they had to change in a patch. Can’t see them dropping that same clanger again.

Yeah that nearly cost them Star Wars rights that one.

Premier Icon stevied

Looks a bit better than this:

Premier Icon Cougar

Anyhoo if it’s “not shit” then @Cougar a good choice of starter HOTAS is the Thrustmaster T16000M

I only have the one option as far as I’m aware.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Windows/dp/B075S7LG8X/

Free Member

I’m hoping for a resurgence in popularity of the Quickshot II.

Premier Icon sobriety
    Free Member

@Cougar oops, I assumed you’d be on PC in VR for some reason. The T.Flight Hotas One/Four/X (for they are all the same mechanically) isn’t very well regarded in terms of longevity/accuracy vs price. Lots of users find they get sloppy within a few months of purchase.

Premier Icon jeffl

Loved the X-Wing series, had all the add-ons as well. Used to like X-Wing alliance and being able to setup your own scenarios. Basically get two big fleets to batter each other whilst you fly around blowing stuff up.

Whilst the graphics on this look awesome I’ve noticed the physics seem better. X-Wing basically forgot you were in space so you couldn’t rotate whilst carrying on your original trajectory for example. Think I saw a bit in the trailer where a TIE fighter basically pulls a handbrake turn next to a corellian corvette but carries on floating past.

VR would be truly amazing and hopefully with it being in space the specs to run it won’t be ridiculous, coming at this from a PC owner.

Edit: Just noticed that Wedge Antilies is in the trailer, result. But also there are no sights/cross hairs on any of the gameplay footage that I can see.

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy

Wow that Quickshot 2 takes me back! Could never afford the Thrustmaster stuff as a kid and not really bought any games that would make use of one as an adult.

Star Wars Squadrons is tempting, I do wonder if it will get samey/boring pretty fast though. I’m more of a “needs a lot of variety” gamer than someone who gets enjoyment out of perfecting the same skills for 10,000 hours in a game. My spatial awareness is also pants so I’ll get my ass handed to me by 8 year-olds on this.

Premier Icon Cougar

I’m hoping for a resurgence in popularity of the Quickshot II.

I’m not, they were bloody awful things.

I assumed you’d be on PC in VR for some reason.

Nah. My PC is built from salvage and other people’s cast-offs (I’m genetically one quarter Womble), it’s primary function is a media server. It’s not a terrible spec but it’s not going to handle modern games without at the very least a new GPU. A GT 610 isn’t going to cut it and I find it difficult to justify throwing a couple of hundred quid at a new card when I can sit in a comfier chair with an Xbox that will play 100% of everything I throw at it.

I do game on the PC, I’m currently playing Deponia.

The T.Flight Hotas One/Four/X (for they are all the same mechanically) isn’t very well regarded

Bugger. Cheers for that.

To be honest though, I suffer a bit with ADD when it comes to games. I’ll probably get bored long before the stick wears out.

Premier Icon zilog6128

Whilst the graphics on this look awesome I’ve noticed the physics seem better. X-Wing basically forgot you were in space so you couldn’t rotate whilst carrying on your original trajectory for example.

more realistic, not necessarily better 😃 Frontier completely ballsed up by introducing “proper” physics. The space battles in Star Wars are essentially WW2 dogfights, which is why they’re cool!

Premier Icon fossy

Ohh, I’ll have to get my son to get it for his PC VR setup. He’s just upgraded from a GTX 970 to a RTX 2770 and he’s getting more than twice the speed, and not even taxing the RTX where the GTX was running full steam (but still performing very well).

Free Member

they were bloody awful things.

Better than pressing the dead flesh of a Spectrum keyboard though.

Premier Icon Northwind

Makes me want to dust off the Gamecube and bust out some Rogue Squadron.

Drac
    Subscriber

Oh yes I’m quietly excited but Star Wars are either excellent or a steaming pile of shit.

A mate of mine is one of the developers, if it’s rubbish would you like me to give him a chinese burn next time I see him?

Premier Icon akira

Frozen y wing bombers hammered into his lawn.

Premier Icon Kuco

Qucikshot, god knows how many of them broke with people playing Daley Thompson Decathlon on the Spectrum 🙂

Premier Icon jd13m

Frozen y wing bombers hammered into his lawn.

😀 😀 😀

now who (else) managed to complete the original x-wing release campaign (before two missions were made easier on the later releases) ??

Premier Icon jeffl

Yep completed the initial release. Without updates. I seem to remember the most annoying mission was defending a capital ship against wave after wave of tie bombers and fighters, two wings of each.

Think I eventually worked out to kill all but one fighter and bomber in each flight. The others would then limp back to the mothership before releasing a fresh new flight.

Think these was also one where some corvettes attempted to kill a nebulon b frigate, but they were rubbish. Eventually had to finish it off in an a wing, which took some time.

Played all the versions so some of those may be from alliance or visa versa.

Premier Icon fossy

Damn, that’s one where I wish I kept my Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro I used for the early star wars flight games…

Premier Icon Cougar

Qucikshot, god knows how many of them broke with people playing Daley Thompson Decathlon on the Spectrum 🙂

Many, aged circa 14 I had a brief cottage industry going at school fixing them. New leaf spring tin-snipped out of a baked beans can, that’ll be a quid, thanks.

Premier Icon jamj1974

Totally agree Perchy. It is an excellent part of the game.

Premier Icon Drac

Sounds promising but seems to lack the storyline of X Wing and Tie Fighter.  Excuse the commentator for having a boring voice but it gives you an idea

Premier Icon darthpunk
    Free Member

I like the look of that, looks like it may be closer to X-Wing/TieFighter with the sheild/weapons management. Seems it won’t be a full price game either so might be worth a punt. Definitely looks better than the starship battles of Battlefront 2

Premier Icon Drac

Rough price is another £32.

Premier Icon jamj1974

I’m even more keen now!

Premier Icon Cougar

A little bit of wee just came out.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Free Member

So?

Anyone bought and played this yet?

Premier Icon sobriety
    Free Member

Me.

It looks amazing, but the control system is totally broken for joystick users – I’ve also been unable to get it to work in VR yet.

I’m waiting to see if they patch it in the next few days or I’ll be getting a refund.

Premier Icon rossburton

My son got it for his birthday yesterday, he was quite overly excited by the prospect. He’s been playing this afternoon in the single player mode, I can report back when I get out of meetings.

Premier Icon windyg
    Free Member

I’ve got it, not had a real long play of it yet, looks great, VR works well and seems easier to play.
    Feels like a steep learning curve quite a lot to take in controls wise on multiplayer i am getting battered.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.