Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Stanton Bikes Frame Price Increase?
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

If it is truly a full 853 frame, then it’d probably be a wise move to change some of the tubes to standard butted 4130 (and bring the cost down). You’d still keep the 853 sticker, which is all anyone cares about anyway.

They use 525 for the rear end.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

They’re great Simon. I bought a mk 1 for £399 earlier in the year – lovely frame, the balance between climbing and descending ability is bang on.

kelvin

Only £599 frames are thru axle versions of Soul and the SolarisMAX, and they have full 853 front triangles.

Just checked again and only Reynolds tube is a DZB down tube. Rest are Cotic own. Just read that on their frame spec sheet for the soul.

Reynolds 853 DZB down tube, Ovalform top tube and Cotic Exclusive 34.9mm seat tube combine for a supple yet precise ride feel

All three of those tubes are 853, Cotic Exclusive means that Reynolds make that 853 seat tube just for Cotic. I believe to Cy’s design/spec, with tooling he purchased for them, but you’d have to check that with him. All three main triangle tubes are definitely 853.

kelvin

Go SLX instead of XT.

I think Brexit means that SLX is going to be the new XT anyway. Good job it does a good job.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

How about supporting one of our pioneering frame designers

😆

Which part of a steel hardtail frame is “pioneering”?

jackal
    Free Member

Yes I see your point, a steel hardtail is just the same as any other steel hardtail in that context.
    I was talking specifically about the geometry, apologies.
    There’s not many companies that offer such a slack ha (combined with a st angle that meant it could also be ridden up hill) steel tubed frame, with a 415mm back end (especially in 650b format).
    I believe Dan was one of the first to go down this route (as in that slack with such a short back end), this is how frame geometries evolve and makes our riding experience better. If it wasn’t for companies like this we’d still be on short top tube 70 degree head angle long stem machines, hence the pioneer comment 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice to hear from the manufacturer. I’m saving for a 29er HT and the Sherpa is top of my list. It was before the price increase, it still is after.

What I can’t understand is that folk taking part in a multi-thousand pound hobby, at least when using kit of the quality Stanton produces, consider £100 to be the tipping point.

Get a second-hand fork. Go SLX instead of XT. Don’t use ludicrously-priced carbon rims. Get Nanos rather than Boomslangs. There are so many cost savings to be made when you’re building a bike from scratch, with negligible effect on quality, that completely negate the £100 frame price increase.

You’re absolutely right about the frame being the most important bit, but many of us are already making the component compromises you suggest.

I think everyone was being pretty respectful and understanding even before Dan Stanton showed up here, and he’s been honest that he’d really have preferred not to put the price up to that level.

They were £500 a year or two ago, yeah? I could have just about managed that. £600 was probably a stretch too far, but never say never. £700 is honestly never gonna happen on my current income. That’s just how it is for a lot of us.

On the subject of widespread Brexit-based price hikes – I’m sure they’ll happen, but I think it’s the bike industry that’ll suffer more than the consumer as people will just buy less.

stumason10

Sherpa mk1 was £500 with no yokes, stealth or the new posh graphics. That was over 2 years ago.

Mk2 600 from the off. With above upgrades included. My view it’s value not cost that is important and when I looked at all the alternatives at the London bike show including a 1500 pound Zillion and Shand for a grand up close you could see how much better the stanton was. Also been future proofed as the swap outs will take all current wheel width trends including boost including super fat tyres on the Switchback. So should be sweet for a few years to come.

nwill1
    Free Member

Fact of the matter is they’re awesome bikes with great features that justify a higher price tag…many pay over £3k for a carbon push bike frame…many buy cars at silly prices, TV’s, clothes, funiture, Apple kit, sound systems, photography gear what ever the hell else at silly prices.

Yes it might put some off but they’ll still sell in good numbers.

It’s a great brand that’s well respected and lusted after by some.

I’m sure if/when the exchange rate improves it will be reflected in the prices.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Europe is the worst thing that could have happened for many small businesses,

Who rely on importing and selling on ,at vastly inflated prices?

winrya
    Free Member

I’ve never really read a lot about Stanton frames. Thank you to this thread for highlighting them to me, what a beautiful product. The price increase is a consequence of Brexit and that’s it. Go to currys or any other retailer and you’ll see they’ve been pushing up prices by over 15% for the past 6 months. Price freezes at 2016 prices on tech that has always got cheaper each year. 2017 TVs, sonos, apple, all Rrp 20% higher than 2016. It’s **** but more people voted out than in so unfortunately this is how it is now 🙁

eyestwice
    Free Member

Who rely on importing and selling on ,at vastly inflated prices?

Top trolling. Hope your business tanks, if you even have the balls to go it alone in the first place.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

I can understand why this has had to be done but unfortunately for me it’s stretches things too far. I was already pushing it as it was at £600, there has to be some cut off point for normal people on normal wages else I’d just say sod it I’ll but a frame for £1000, £1200, £1500… where do you stop.

Yes there are people out there with a lot of money but there are also a lot that don’t have that luxury and have to save hard. I’ve got a mortgage, bils and kids to pay for. Biking comes last with whatever is left over and I can’t afford or justify a steel hard tail for £700. Sorry that’s the way it is.

So I’m going for an alternative frame. Already placed an order for a new Chameleon and got a little discount so it’s coming in a lot cheaper than the stanton. A shame yes but times are hard, I can’t just go buying everything I want.

shandcycles
    Free Member

if the prices go up much more i could almost justify a shand frame, they are about a grand

Not anymore!

https://www.shandcycles.com/2017/02/23/price-increase-warning/

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Shand, Stanton and Cotic…. All pricing amateurs compared to these guys
    http://trillioncycles.com/prime/. 🙂 £1500.00 😯 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Stanton Bikes Frame Price Increase?’ is closed to new replies.