Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Stanton Bikes | Back On Track and In Stock
  • stwhannah
    cromolyolly
    Free Member

I notice that the Outlet and Sale bikes are exactly the same price as the not-outlet/sale ones, you just don’t get to choose the colour. Did part of the business plan include borrowing on-one’s magic 8 ball to do the pricing?

I say that with respect – Stanton are lovely guys but £650 for a taiwan made plain 4130 bike? Ooof.

martymac

I paid that for my surly F+F 3 years ago, I’m happy with it, so I don’t think the price is bad tbh.
    IIRC. It might have been £699.
    But either way, it doesn’t seem a ridiculous price.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Green

Outlet and Sale frames include Elite paint which is normally an extra £100 over standard

albo

A production jump bike?!

funkmasterp

Short travel 29er would be fantastic.

flossie
    Free Member

And a Cotic Solaris is £675, so it seems about right.

flossie
    Free Member

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Outlet and Sale frames include Elite paint which is normally an extra £100 over standard

Which would be worth paying, if you got to choose the colour yourself. On these you get what they’ve made.

The old frames were 699 new, weren’t they?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Which is 853 on the main tubes, not plain 4130. Kinda my point. Stanton wants £25 less for a taiwan made (like the cotic) plain 4130?

cb200
    Free Member

The Sherpa – superb bike

Northwind

Does seem a little expensive compared with some of the competition. Then again I’m comparing with Cotic, a hard comparison for anyone- but a Ragley Bigwig is somehow £600 these days.Not sure it’s fair to call it “plain 4130”, they do all sorts of butting options for cromo now so a well thought out frame is a big step above ye budget gaspipe

I do like a bit of 853- had Souls, got a Solaris- but how much difference does it actually make, is the question… Enough that Stanton think it’s worth offering as an upgrade…Do they quote weights anywhere? I can’t see it which always bugs me…

thrashstronaut
    Free Member

Having bought a Slackline frame 3 years ago off them I will say this –
    1. They got too big too quickly and lost their focus on customer service.
    2. Their after sales is a joke, I have now bought 4 mech hangers off them (again, poor quality) and on at least 3 occasions they sent me either the wrong hanger or sent it to the wrong address.

Could have been a great company, however, when it came to buying my new full sus I didn’t want to give them my money and went with transition instead, because I knew that bike would both turn up AND work properly 🤦

cromolyolly
    Free Member

y do all sorts of butting options for cromo now

No, fair point. To me plain old 4130 (vis bikes, anyway) has 2 or 3 butts. Anything else is gas pipe.

Ragley Big Wig you say? I’ll see you and raise you an on one Big Dog frame for £700! So maybe the Stanton’s aren’t so bad. Except Cotic.

ahsat

Do they quote weights anywhere? I can’t see it which always bugs me…

I emailed them when I ordered mine and they quoted 5.7 lb for a 17” Sherpa. When it arrived it came in about that, and 27 lb for my full 853 home build.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Good to see they are back on track and I wish them all thes success. I had a bike on order from them summer of 2019 and gave up as they were a bit overwhelmed/understocked.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I’ve had a Slackline and a Switchback, both of which were fantastic frames that looked and rode brilliantly. However they were 851 and 631 so maybe ride lighter/ nicer than a cheaper steel? That’s open to debate but looking at other steel frames they’ve all bumped their prices up (to be expected). I also had a couple of moments with customer service, but that was a good while back and I wouldn’t use that against them in the future; I’d rather support a small British company wherever possible, even if the process wasn’t as smooth or took slightly longer to get their products.

funkmasterp

The Sherpa – superb bike

Full suspension Sherpa then 🙂

haggis1978

Not so stealthy for sale advert: I’ll be putting my UK Made 18″ Switch9er hardtail frame up for sale in a week once I get back from work. It’s serial number shows it to be frame number one of the UK editions. Special Iridescent Lagoon paintjob and it’s been invisiframe’d from new. All in this would skin you just shy of £1200 today. I’m after £700 for it. Drop me a message if you’re interested.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I went to see them when looking for my last bike, rode the Switch9er fs, and liked it.
    BUT i was left we the overwhelming feeling that it was a small british company with best intentions, that was probably trying to do too much at the same time, and didn’t really think that I would get a bike in time for a month long trip I had planned.
    Also was a little concerned about the back up and quality I might then get from them, IF they did indeed struggle to get on top of things.
    It was speculation, and much as above guy, bought a transition instead.
    Seeing how things panned out, I was 100% right, lots of issues getting bikes into the hands of customers over the last couple of years, and lots of issues seem to be cropping up…

Glad to hear they think they are back on top of things, would definitely consider as Switch9er HT in the future!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I’ve been hankering for a steel 29er HT for a little while now, looking at P7’s, Honzo ST’s and Production Privee as options as well as these guys. I like the idea of buying British so have been hovering over the ‘buy’ button on a Switch9er.

Does anyone have any real world experience on the different tube sets? Is the UK made Reynolds worth the extra dollar or is it just green sticker kudos? I reckon a grand for a steel HT frame is a little much but the £650 or so sits about right in todays market.

olaa
    Free Member

I really hope they can get back on track! But in my recent experience they are probably some way out on that…
    I ordered a full build on a uk frame in a standard colour back in august. Talked to Dan who assured me that 12 weeks was a realistic lead time, even after I pushed a bit since it seemed a bit optimistic considering shortages. I added at least a month to that lead time, with covid and all that. After 16 weeks the frame finally got built, and then I was told that it was going in the paint shop “in the next batch or two”. At that time i made some adaptations to my build, to make it easier for Stanton to source parts. I got back in touch with them about monthly to see if there was any progress, and got the “next batch or two” comment every time. Finally at the end of march i got an email about sourcing components, they were struggling to get all the components when they were trying to order them. More compromises to the build were done, and the realisation that they had not even ordered the parts up until then… In april, i asked what batch my frame was going to get painted in, and got the answer that they hoped to get it done by the end of the month (we are now at 8 months from ordering).
    At this point i asked another owner on the Stanton forum that had gotten the exact same build in the same colour in early march about his lead time. Turned out he had ordered a few weeks after me, but when things had dragged on he had complained and pushed quite a bit which sped things up. On the other hand he had gotten a full build with all the correct components in contrast to me. I then talked to a couple of other people i know that have Stantons they had the same story, you need to complain loudly and project manage in order to get the frame.
    I was fed up and cancelled my order. At that point they said that if i changed my mind i could get it painted the week after, clearly showing that they had no control over production.
    What annoys me in all this is that Dan knew perfectly well when i ordered that there was no chance that i would get my bike in 12 weeks. It was unlikely that i would get it in 24 weeks. With the situation being what it is, a 6-7 month lead time would have been fine. But being told bs, and being deprioritised over other people that just push more just rubs me the wrong way. And knowing that they still have quoted 8 week lead times all this year to customers is just not cool. And if you think that my case was an outlier, it very much is not. Many people have waited way longer for just a frame, and the ones that get their bikes/frames quickly are still waiting at least 6 months.

Making a happy video talking about how things now are great is nice. But maybe just getting things done and most of all being honest would be better and would have saved them all the trouble.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Last year was an arse for sourcing bikes from anywhere. Stanton weren’t alone. I ordered a Ripcord for my lad middle of last year and it took 7 months to arrive. I don’t let that reflect on the bike shop who probably spent most of last year batting grumpy customers phone calls away or the manufacturers who must have been running on skeleton staff if at all.
    Once it has arrived, it’s arrived.
    Last year was unprecedente.

funkmasterp

I can’t imagine being a small firm trying to do the vast majority of work in house then being hit by a global pandemic, huge demand and a parts shortage. Must’ve been a pretty stressful and difficult year. I’m glad they’re back on track.

If they ever release a short travel 29er full suspension bike it would definitely be of interest. Lovely looking bikes and the prices, whilst expensive, seem reasonable for UK made and painted frames.

haggis1978

Mine did take 8 months to arrive which was rubbish but worth the wait. We are living in strange times and I think lots of people were just struggling to get by. Don’t forget that we went through Brexit and Covid in rapid succession which played havoc with Stanton’s business model.

letmetalktomark

I have owned two Stanton Sherpa frames.

The first came from the very first batch of frames in that lovely emerald green. During the warranty of the frame I had a few problems that resulted in a new frame being sent to me that revised some of the initial MK1 issues.

It was a great frame – a tad short but run as an XC bike was excellent. I kind of miss selling it.

I know of the work of one of the UK steel frame builders (hot gluing the tubes together) and off of the back of that person’s work would happily, money aside, have a UK made frame.

Time scales of custom frames are somewhat fluid but a lot of the angst can be mitigated by good and critically honest comms.

I’d be pi$$ed with the repeated comments above about where it was in the Q as they don’t appear in anyway genuine.

That said 2020 was not the year for bike stuff in general!

letmetalktomark

haggis1978
    Free Member

Mine did take 8 months to arrive which was rubbish but worth the wait. We are living in strange times and I think lots of people were just struggling to get by. Don’t forget that we went through Brexit and Covid in rapid succession which played havoc with Stanton’s business model.

In no way am I trolling with this but …….

In the same period brands like Stooge seem to have excelled with their Taiwanese build model.

kelvin

Every bike brand I know of has had supply issues in the last 18 months. If Stooge avoided them then well done them, but that makes them the exception not the rule.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Nice bikes and nice guys. I rode a Cotic, Stanton and Starling and ended up with the Starling, but they were all nice to be honest.

olaa
    Free Member

Just to be clear, i don’t really mind long lead times. I totally understand the situation.
    But i really do mind the amount of BS!
    Other small companies have no problem being honest and communicating well with their customers, Pipedream and Deviate in the UK come to mind there. I know several people that have ordered from them in the last year, and it has been exemplary even with all the supply issues that we have.
    I ended up buying a Crossworx, which is just as custom and made locally as Stanton. They had no issues giving me a realistic timeline and delivering. No overpromising and no bs!

Also, part of the reason why i react is that the speech by Dan in the video is eerily similar to what i was being told i august, about how the production was organised and streamlined…

lowey

Same experience as most of the above. Stunning frame, finish is absolute top quality and it (Switch9er) rides like a dream, but utterly atrocious customer service.

Deviate on the other hand were exemplary in dealing with delays etc.

ahsat

This could have been my post, with a couple of edits:

“Same experience as most of the above. Stunning frame, finish is absolute top quality and it (Sherpa) rides like a dream, but pretty bad customer service.”

moonboy
    Free Member

I have a lowly 4130 gen 3 slackline. I absolutely love it. Coming from a dialled PA and a Soul, the slackline is in a different league, you’d have to prise it out my cold dead hands.

Have done everything from BPW to Cairngorm trailer rides with it.

Expensive? Perhaps. Value? Yes. Smiles per mile. Absobloodylutely.

I went for 4130 to avoid the wait, don’t regret it. If you’re thinking of getting one and want a fun modern HT then just do it.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Stanton Bikes | Back On Track and In Stock’ is closed to new replies.