Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Stans Tubeless Valve – £12 !!!
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyone else think that’s excessive?

Jamie
    Free Member
    martinhutch

It is for 2.

svalgis
    Free Member

These also work fine.

Out of stock though.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ are those SS ones a pair?

If so, that’s much more like it

svalgis
    Free Member

From the description:

Kit includes 2 valves for a pair of wheels

enfht
    Free Member

If you’re current one is broken are you sure you don’t just need a replacement core?

Stans Valve Core

And all for a mere two English pounds.

taxi25
    Free Member

I bought some of the Dt swiss ones and they don’t have a removable core. Bit of a PITA if you ask me 🙁

JohnnyPanic

Taxi25, I’ve just bought the DT Swiss ones linked in Kryton’s post above. They did come with a removable core + the tool to remove it – exactly as advertised on CRC.

I bought them to replace some Superstar Alu ones that, whilst they work fine(ish) are a smidge too narrow for track pump or mini pump to grip firmly. They do grip and seal to the pump, and the pumps inflate them, but the grip seems tenuous and I’m not happy with them.

honourablegeorge

Specialized ones are good vfm if there’s a dealer near you

Cheezpleez

I’ve now sheared two Superstar valves – one while pumping up a tyre and one in a bit of a freak accident while riding. Probably just karma but I’ve now gone with Stans. When I say sheared, I mean the whole valve not just the core.

taxi25
    Free Member

Taxi25, I’ve just bought the DT Swiss ones linked in Kryton’s post above. They did come with a removable core + the tool to remove it – exactly as advertised on CRC.

Just looked at mine again. Palm to face 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can use ones form old tubes, so paying anything for them at all is stupid IMO.

Kryton57

😀

@ Jonny Panic – I used superstar too but moved to the DT Swiss as the rubber “seal” although looking quite industrial will never go through a presta hole, its too big.

And that valve core tool that comes with it is ideal for carry about the place in a camel bak/ emergency kit.

dobo
    Free Member

How long are the dt swiss mtb ones from crc? assume the road ones are longer?

peepingtom
    Free Member

Its the stans tape that’s a rip off , I use duck tape ,you can easily take a 10mm strip of a roll and it cost bugger all and seals spot on ..

JohnnyPanic

Valve core tool is neat. Also impossible to overtighten with it (I think). I’ll measure my DT Swiss ones tomorrow – not fitted them yet.

You can use ones form old tubes, so paying anything for them at all is stupid IMO.

This is true if you have any old ones lying around, though not that many have removeable valve cores, Schwalbe seem to though.

noltae
    Free Member

American Classic are £20 and mine snapped on day one – I salvaged the cute little anodized red nuts that come with them – then replaced with Stans – so that was £32 spent on valves – beyond excessive 🙁

breadcrumb

I’ve been using a the Superstar ones in a couple of bikes for a good while, absolutely fine.

I’d chop up old tubes but I like to use a syringe though the valve to get the sealant in.

Stoner
    Free Member

This is true if you have any old ones lying around, though not that many have removable valve cores, Schwalbe seem to though.

Ive never needed to remove the core when using salvaged valves.

Pour latex in through a small gap between the bead and rim. A few blasts with the Joe Blow and it’s mounted.

Mbnut
    Free Member

I see items like valves as one of those bits of kit that should be fit and forget but get a bad one and it will become a serious pain in the arse, often winding you up and almost certain to fail completely at the worse possible moment.

£12 for a product that is from a company that specializes in running tubeless, so probably/hopefully made to a high spec with good materials as opposed to £6 from a company that specializes in making products as cheaply as possible seems reasonable to me.

I spend hundreds on my wheelsets and tyres are around £30 to £50 a pop, no flipping way I am skimping on the details!

For the record i use Stans valves and run 5 sets of tubeless wheels, they work great. Not that I throw cash at stuff for the sake of it. I have used Gorilla tape on all my wheels as it simply does the job better than anything else, is lighter and just so happens to be cheaper.

Stoner – I lost my syringe years ago so use the same method as you but I have removed the cores a couple of times over the years when having trouble getting a tyre seated for the first time, normally on other peoples bikes, and it does help.

breninbeener

To the guys using gorilla tape, do you just use that like ( in place of ) the Stan’s yellow rim tape?

sadexpunk

To the guys using gorilla tape, do you just use that like ( in place of ) the Stan’s yellow rim tape?

yup, and you can also use a couple of links of old chain (9speed i think) as a ‘removable core’ tool. perfect fit 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

I’d chop up old tubes but I like to use a syringe though the valve to get the sealant in.

Continental presta tubes have removable cores. iirc there is another brand that does too but i forget which. (scwalbe maybe?)

timb34
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the Specialized/Roval ones do – certainly the ones I have do (but I’m not sure that they are Roval as they were given to me by a nice specialized dealer out of his spares tray)

jamj1974

Specialized/Roval and DT Swiss have both worked well for me. Stans are a bit crap IME.

JohnnyPanic

@dobo, my DT Swiss ones from CRC measure about 42mm from the base of the valve to the tip of the valve core.

dobo
    Free Member

thanks, that should do the job, they deffo got removable core valves?

JohnnyPanic

Specs say they do, mine did, taxi25’s did (eventually). You can always send em back for free if they don’t.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Stans Tubeless Valve – £12 !!!’ is closed to new replies.