Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • stans tubeless on mavic 719s
  • retro83
    Free Member

Yellow tape on, rim strip on, valve core removed. Some stans goop inside.

Using a large co2 canister, I can get the tyres to briefly stay up, but they leak air and goop and go down very quickly. The tyres don’t seem to actually click on properly and once they lose their air, they are coming away completely from the edge of the rim.

What am I missing?

retro83
    Free Member

Tyre is a nobby nic tubeles ready pacestar

retro83
    Free Member

Bollocks!! Got it to stay up, went in to get a cuppa.

Two mins later, heard a colossal bang, bugger had exploded and coated my garage in wheel jizz. Arse biscuits!

Tyre ruined too 😡 50 psi was apparently too much 😆 😳

parkesie
    Free Member

Can’t help but pictures please 😆

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ha ha ha sorry I can’t help but laugh at that image.

I have in and got 18bikes to do mine.

retro83
    Free Member

parkesie – Member
    Can’t help but pictures please

Not sure where that girl came from

davewalsh
    Free Member

I had exactly the same experiance with a RaRa, pain in the arse to get the bead seated, then the bead failed and filled the garage with spaff. Luckily for me, it was on a mates bike at the time and it was his garage, saving me the clean-up 🙂

Stans no longer recommend schwalbe tyres due to the high number of bead failures. I’d try again with a Maxxis tyre.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I just put some snakeskin NN’s onto stans crest rims. Tyres went on without levers and inflated with a track pump. It does say on the rim not to exceed 45psi though. They’ve been at 30psi for 3 days now. All seems good so far.

househusband

Be wary of using CO2 with the jizz already in the tyre!

It can, in my experience, cause it to set – once the tyre has popped onto the rim then insert it using an injector through the valve stem!

bikeneil
    Free Member

Where does it say that stans no longer recommend schwalbe tyres?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I think Stans advised against Schwalbe tubeless for a time but are now saying they’re ok again. FWIW I have the same rims and have set up Specilaized and Bontrager tyres without any issue – not tried Schwalbe.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It would appear that all 29’er tyres are now suitable according to this -> http://www.notubes.com/recommendedtires.aspx

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Compatible Non Tubeless* tires:

29er Tires: All
    but

Not Recommend Tires

WTB TCS and UST 29 inch tires are too tight for Stan’s Notubes rims and NoTubes licensed rims such as Sun Ringle Black Flag.

Unless they have tested “ALL” tires then I’m guessing there are still some odd balls out there.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Where does it say that stans no longer recommend schwalbe tyres?

It was on their website last summer, shortly after I’d bought a Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph 👿 , just had a look round and can’t find it anymore. Never had a problem on my flows, just the 719.

Simon

I’ve used 719s/Stans rim strips with Spesh 2bliss Eskars and also Maxxis Highroller & Minion (both wire & folding), no problems with any of them.

althepal

Never had a problem with Evo NNs on my Rovals.. Back took a bit of sloshing to get it airtight and the valves a wee bugger but apart from that its all good in the hood.,

retro83
    Free Member

Simon – Member
    I’ve used 719s/Stans rim strips with Spesh 2bliss Eskars and also Maxxis Highroller & Minion (both wire & folding), no problems with any of them.

Does the tyre hook/click into the bead? Or is it just air pressure that keeps it on?

If you let all the air out, would you be able to reinflate without a compressor?

What’s the secret? Extra layers of tape?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘stans tubeless on mavic 719s’ is closed to new replies.