Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Stans Tape V Tesa.
  • zippykona

I’ve only ever had tubeless work with Stan’s tape and consider anything else a waste of money. However ,the Tesa tape looks tempting.

Anyone not like it?

transporter13
    Free Member

I’ve used it and although not quite as sticky.. As long as you degrease your rims and install in a warmer area then it’s fine

SirHC

Bird Tubeless Tape is very good, stickier than the stans and more flexible

ta11pau1

Tesa 4289, job done.

£15 or less for 66 metres on ebay, enough to do many, many bikes.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Yeah, big roll from eBay – dirt cheap, lasts ages. Seems to be exactly the same as Stans.

johnnystorm

It’s the same stuff isn’t it?

ogden
    Free Member

https://www.twistedcogs.shop/product/black-tubeless-tape-25mmx60m

60m £13.50 delivered from Twisted Cogs, York.

After I realised Gorilla Tape was absorbing the Stans in my wheels I gave it a go and it worked well. The only thing I’d say is you need to warm it up, it wouldn’t stick to the rim at all till I did that but it had been left in a cold garage.

Mbnut
    Free Member

15,000 miles off road on Gorilla tape, still on the same roll…. gutted to have wasted my money.

Kryton57

Love it and as per Ogden warm it up.  I leave my wheels and the tape in he house for 24 hours and a

is good.

ogden
    Free Member

15,000 miles off road on Gorilla tape, still on the same roll…. gutted to have wasted my money.

My E1900 wheelset is running gorilla tape no issues what so ever but they have a 25mm width and the Gorilla tape fits perfect. The wheels I had an issue with gorilla tape on had wider XM481 rims. I’d previously swore by Gorilla tape.

Mbnut
    Free Member

I have a 50mm wide roll, just tear it to width.

Hadn’t thought about to soaking in sealant but I over jollop anyway.

Will have a butchers at the Tesa stuff, if it needs warming does that mean the adhesive becomes brittle or less sticky at low temperatures?

mcnultycop

Stans = Tesa. No difference at all.

gringo

I’ve used the Tesa tape with good results as well. As said above, warm it up a bit first and all good. I put mine on a radiator for a bit. Much cheaper!

wzzzz
    Free Member

I used Gorilla 25mm gaffer tape on a 25mm rim, but I suspect it will be a PITA to remove and clean up if / when I damage it with tyre levers. Plus apparently eventually it will soak the sealant and make it go soft.

Also used Gorilla “Clear repair tape” 48mm on an Easton 45mm plus rim, this is more like tesa stuff but much cheaper. This I will likely cut down with a knife for narrower rims in future.

Both holding fine!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Took me ages to clean the Gorilla Tape off my rims! I’ve got the Tesa tape on at the moment. Had a few issues at first as I kept splitting the tape with my thumb when I was trying to pull it tight.

Might try something else next time it needs doing.

sharkattack

Gorilla tape is great but please put a few runs of electrical tape underneath it. Removing the glue is a nightmare.

scotroutes

I just used electrical tape on my DT Swiss fatbike rims.

escrs
    Free Member

Why bother with sticky tapes which just make a mess, cost a small fortune (Stans) for what it is

Use some Specialized 2bliss tubeless rim tape (other tubeless rim tapes are available)

£3.50 per strip, fits various width rims, no mess, easy to remove if you need to replace a spoke and nipple, wont degrade over time etc…

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/14847/2019-2bliss-ready-rim-strip/

nickfrog
    Free Member

£3.50. FM. Tesa works out at less a pound. Tight gits reunited.

TESA is ideal really.

zippykona

Bought some Tesa. Tyres went up first time and have stayed up. Cant ask any more than that.

It works.

lornholio
    Free Member

escrs, are the 2bliss strips working well for you then? I remember you replying in an old thread when they were suggested and saying you would try them next. I’ve been wondering about the strips for a while, like the idea of them being reusable and not having to cut & patch tape if replacing a nipple, but never think to order them ahead of time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This I will likely cut down with a knife for narrower rims in future.

I found it an utter PITA to cut, even with scissors it stretches and leaves a funny edge. I think it’s designed to stretch a bit and conform around car headlights etc. You can get 50mm PVC electrical tape which works just as well for 40~48mm rims but much cheaper.

scotroutes

You can get 50mm PVC electrical tape which works just as well for 40~48mm rims but much cheaper.

That’s what I used on my 80mm fatbike rims.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I’m looking at 25mm Tesa tape on Amazon and getting an option of indoor, outdoor or sensitive (for extra pleasure). Which one do I need?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

thanks mate

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s the same stuff.

Isopropyl alcohol on the rims first, install indoors and pull that bad boy hard!

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Gorilla tape for me. Definately makes inflation easier, tyres where I had normal tape on struggled to pump up with the track pump were no issue once the Gorilla tape was on. Never had any issues with it leaking etc, and it is easy to remove when a wheel needs trued etc.

thejesmonddingo

I use the wife’s hairdryer for putting on Tesa,isoprop first is a must.

zippykona

Put the tape on a radiator to warm up. Makes it more pliable.

Jordan

Is 25mm wide enough for 26mm internal rims? I’m never sure how far under the tyre bead it should go. Just retaped one of my 26mm rims with 25mmm tape a couple of days ago and by the time it has been pulled tight into the centre of the rim it is a mil or two away from the edges. Tyre has stayed up though.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Gorilla is easier to fit, as it’s more flexible and stickier than Stans/Tesa but as said it is a pain to remove as it leaves a gummy residue. Tesa is trickier to install in the first place as you need very clean rims (use IPA) and you must pull it really tight to avoid air bubbles (wheel truing stand helps) but when its on it lasts longer than Gorilla (IME) and works well.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Alternative is Joe’s No Flats rim strips. Had much better luck with them and don’t get damaged by tyre levers when changing tyres or leave residue as not sticky. £9 a pair on CRC and they have the valve built in

docgeoffyjones

Alternative is Joe’s No Flats rim strips. Had much better luck with them and don’t get damaged by tyre levers when changing tyres or leave residue as not sticky. £9 a pair on CRC and they have the valve built in.

I found with these strips  the valve would eventually split away from the strip. The only tubeless failures I have had were from this. Having the valve as a seperate piece is much better.

If you are worried your taping is not up to scratch pop a tube in overnight to push the tape onto the rim surface.

krixmeister

Having tried lots of different solutions including Stans, Tesa, duct tape, electrical tape…. For various reasons, my goto now is the Caffelatex tape – “Mariposa” or whatever. This stuff: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/effetto-mariposa-caffelatex-tubeless-tape/

Right amount of stretchiness/stickiness/removable-without-gunk…iness.

Northwind

I still favour electrical tape, especially on wider rims.

Gorilla (black stuff) has no place anywhere near a bike imo. Yes it keeps the air in, but so does loads of other stuff, without the apocalyptic cleanup job. The clear stuff is alright.

Jordan

@ogden that link you posted says that black tape is much better than the yellow. Have you found that to be true and why?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Stans Tape V Tesa.’ is closed to new replies.