Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stans Sealant in tubes
  • getonyourbike
    Free Member

Who’s tried it?

I’ve just received a pint bottle in the post to lob some more in my Stans tubeless setup but I’m wondering if it would work alright in the tubes on my full bouncer. My main problem is snakebites.

Does it seal snakebites in tubes?

Cheers all.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Nobody tried it?

MrTall
    Free Member

I tried it in a couple of my tubes with mixed results. I’ve had two puntures from simple thorns that have failed to heal and then of course you can’t slap a patch on as it’s covered in sealant.

One i noticed when i got home, pulled the thorn out and expected it to seal but it just pi$$ed sealant all over the floor and deflated. Strangely though (after i’d left it overnight unfixed) i pumped it up in the morning and it’s been fine ever since after several rides? That’s not much help out on the trail though unless you want to wait 24hrs for your punture to seal.

I may of course have picked up other punctures which may have sealed without me knowing it.

You can only give it a try and see what happens?

MSP

Innertubes are stretched when inflated, which means that the tension expands a puncture and is unsuitable to be fixed by stans (or other) sealant. Michelin do some protex (?) innertubes that are meant to be suitable, but for the price you may as well convert to tubeless.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Basically, don’t bother. Cheers

Macavity
    Free Member

spooky_b329

No sealant will sort snakebites reliably… Up to 3mm max its normally quoted, a snakebite is two slits.

sofaking
    Free Member

i run stans in my fatbike tubes and have had significantly less punctures since i did so

scruff
    Free Member

Put Stans in my 700c commuter tubes to try, had 2 punctures last week & sealant did nothing.

chiefgrooveguru

It probably works ok in fatbike tubes due to the much lower pressures. I’d do real (kit/ghetto/guerilla) tubeless with everything else MTB.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Some sealants do work in tubes. I use these and have had no punctures for a year. Maybe the sealant in these is thicker (possibly heavier) than the Stans stuff?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’ve never known any sealant to be any use against snakebite punctures.

If snakebites are that much of a problem then you need to rethink something about your riding. Maybe run bigger, heavier duty tyres at higher pressures or even just pay more attention to your line choice on the trails

sam_underhill

If snakebites are that much of a problem then you

then run tubless!

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve done it using Joe Noflats sealant. It worked ok but it still pinch flatted so I since went tubeless and won’t be going back to tubes.

Whether it’s worth it for you depends on how often and what type of punctures you get.

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe the sealant in these is thicker (possibly heavier) than the Stans stuff?

Tube sealant (Slime et al) are all much much thicker than tubeless sealants, which tend to be a similar consistency to water. I imagine that’s why they’re not really cross compatible, what MSP said makes sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stans Sealant in tubes’ is closed to new replies.