• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by rsl1.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stans rim dent – what are my options?
  • rsl1
    Free Member

Despite running pretty high pressures to avoid such things, I got a dent in my stans arch rim last summer. Originally I straightened it out enough to hold air but now a crack has formed in the dent which leaks. Anyone had any luck with good-faith warrantying of such a thing or am I just going to have to use tubes and hope it doesn’t fail catastrophically? I’m unfortunately just out of warranty (2 years ended in August).

On the rim itself, I am not a fan. I normally use stans rubber rim strip converter but that didn’t work (in their own wheel!?), found them the hardest to reliably tape out of any wheel and they dented very easily. Considering this, is it economical to get a replacement built on and if so, what is the flavour of the day for the budget conscious rider?

nickjb
    Free Member

I doubt a cracked rim would be a warranty matter even if it was in date. If it is getting worse then I’d replace it rather than use a tube. A rim swap is an easy DIY job if you can find one with the same ERD, that’s what I’d do.

stevextc
    Free Member

2yrs ain’t too bad….
    Replacement… you didn’t say which rim but either way I’d either replace with something stronger but expensive OR just get whatever is cheap, similar ERD and width then start looking for a nice rim on discount.

Retrospectively… and 20 20 hindsight you might have started looking after the ding. About 2 mo ago there were some new EX471’s for £30 and some 511’s at £45 on ebay.
    Equally there were some Spank rims on Amazon that do a crazy price every so often so long as you don’t mind colour… I’ve had 3 at £15 now.

Nothing at the moment though and

joebristol

Is Arch the Enduro Rim? If so I’d probably replace it with a DT Swiss Ex471 or EX511 depending on the inner width you want (respectively 25mm / 30mm inner).

I’d build it with new spokes personally although based on the other thread running, a lot of people reuse spokes if they’re the right length.

Generally I’ve found Starbike to have the best prices on rims – although occasionally CRC have some decent prices.

1timmy1
    Free Member

Chain Reaction have some decent deals on various rims:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mtb/rims

Picked up 2 XM481’s myself using the £10 off code CLEAR2020.

5lab

I got 2 rims off superstar for £50 last night. No idea if they’re tubeless (don’t care).

for your current rim, could you just chuck a load of sealant or similar over the inside of the crack?

tthew

I normally use stans rubber rim strip converter but that didn’t work (in their own wheel!?)

Why would you use a converter tape in a rim that’s already tubeless? Does not compute! And I’d imagine make getting tyres seated a **** of a job because the rubber conversion tapes are pretty thick.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I normally use stans rubber rim strip converter but that didn’t work (in their own wheel!?)

That’s because its a tubeless rim, so they never thought anyone would use a convertion kit, to be fair.

If it’s cracked, it’s ****, bin it.

rsl1
    Free Member

Thanks for suggestions. I put Superglue over the crack and switched from peatys to stans sealant and managed to get it sealed (went up first time with valve core still in which NEVER happened with peatys). Will have a go at building a new rim on when I can afford it.

Re the rubber strip. I just find it easier and more reliable. Tape always seems to end up leaking eventually even if a shop tapes it for me. The rim I have with the rubber strip only ever needs attention when the sealant dries out. Don’t see why you wouldn’t use it if it fits, personally

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stans rim dent – what are my options?’ is closed to new replies.