Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stans rim, continental and bonty TR tyre question.
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

I have done a fair bit of googling but haven't come up with an definitive answer so i guess one of you lot will know.
    If i use bonty jones acx tubeless ready tyres on a stans flow rim is the yellow tape and valve with a bit of jizz o.k or should i use a rimstrip?

also has anyone used a conti tyre (not a UST type) and would i need a rimstrip for these?

if i don't get the bontys then thinking of possibly using a 2.2 rubber queen. if the weight of a tyre and rimstrip is greater than the ust version (or close to it) then i'll use the ust version.

anyone using the above tyre/rim/rimstrip combo's your info is appreciated.

njee20
    Free Member

They'll be far easier to inflate with a rim strip, but you won't need them. Conti tyres can be a bit baggy on the rim, they're very inconsistent, so you may need a few turns of rim tape to get it to stay up. Bonty tyres are usually really tight, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The rim strips weigh about 15g, not exactly the difference between a UST version! If you plan on changing tyres, I'd strongly recommend using them.

MrSmith
    Free Member

it seems the rimstrips (not yellow tape) weigh 56g not 15g? which isn't much, i thought they were heavier than that.

i don't intend to change tyres as the jones acx are meant to be good all rounders and seemed o.k in the mud when i borrowed a pair or wheels with them on.
    if the bontis are easier to inflate i'll go with them over the conti's, just need to know if they are difficult to seal with yellow tape and a track pump? i don't have a compressor.

njee20
    Free Member

Nah, should be fine without on the Bontys. My recollection of the weight of a rim strip is obviously out!

fozzybear
    Free Member

i use the strips with mine even though i have 819 rim's makes them easier to pump up, i also run high roller kevlar's (none ust) no strip they are imposable to mount without a air line, with strip they mount ok (with some furious pumping on the track pump)

pate
    Free Member

I've just done 355 / Bonty with only yellow tape. Easy to inflate with truck pump. Had a spin on it at the weekend and it was fine. You may find that the tyre will burp air with certain 'extreme' 🙄 riding style.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The advice from Just Riding Along on such things, that I decided to ignore and then found out was actaully correct was this: –

Flow rims and non UST tyres, use a rim strip
    Flow rims with UST tyres, just yellow tape.

Of course, there are people who have got other setups to work but I had some burping issues with normal tyres and tape, and a couple of roll offs!

fozzybear
    Free Member

no burps with my stans rim strips.. but i don't run them any lower than i would with tubes in.

MrSmith
    Free Member

thanks for the replies.
    i'll give the yellow tape a go with the bontys. if i can't inflate them with a track pump i'll get the rimstrips.

now i just have to decide between straight pull wheels and/or 4bolt rotors.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stans rim, continental and bonty TR tyre question.’ is closed to new replies.