Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Stans No Tubes yellow rim tape – alternatives….?
  • strike
    Free Member

Anyone know an alternative to using this tape, to seal spoke holes (without using the rubber rim strip ie on a NoTubes rim)? Is it made by 3M etc, and has a ‘trade’ name?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I couldn’t belive the price of the NoTubes ‘kit’ to run my Stan’s Flows tubeless, so I got a Joes No Flats kit instead. Cheaper and works just fine

MSP

A roll of the tape costs 10 quid, and does 4 wheels, is it really expensive enough to look for cheaper alternatives? Especially as stans rims are a fairly expensive option anyway.

strike
    Free Member

yes, because I only want to do 2 rims

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Sparkeys tape…
    Although for the price I would just get a roll of the proper stuff and have some spare…

cynic-al
    Free Member

B&Q do a transparent plastic tape that has worked for me – less stretchy than electrical tape, which I wouldn’t use.

gcaster
    Free Member

Use the Stans tape for 2 rims and then sell the rest on. That way 2 people get the proper stuff for half price.
    It’s specced to do 5 rims so will be enough for someone else to do theirs too.
    I bought mine from Tredz who seemed to be the cheapest at the time for the thinner tape.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I’ve been using Electric tape for 4 months now with no air loss above what you’d get normally.

MSP

strike – Member

yes, because I only want to do 2 rims

So save the rest, at some point in the future you may damage the tape, or need to replace a spoke. its still a small amount of money when you are speccing stans rims.

Northwind

I can’t remember which it is, but one of my Traversees or Flows is done with electric tape, and seems absolutely fine for it

Don’t begrudge buying more tape than you need though, good chance you’ll need it some time- the tape can get damaged when you change tyres.

“piedi di formaggio – Member

I couldn’t belive the price of the NoTubes ‘kit’ to run my Stan’s Flows tubeless, so I got a Joes No Flats kit instead. Cheaper and works just fine”

Um. You realise you don’t need a kit like that for Flows, right? Just the yellow tape and valves.

jack_noy
    Free Member

roval tape- blue stuff. works a treat

steve_b77
    Free Member

So on Stans rims you just need a set of the Stans valves and the rim tape and thats it?

Is it ok to run normal non UST tyres like that?

chakaping
    Free Member

the tape can get damaged when you change tyres

Second this, and I’m a bit pee-ed off about it as well!

gcaster
    Free Member

So on Stans rims you just need a set of the Stans valves and the rim tape and thats it?

Is it ok to run normal non UST tyres like that?
    Yep, most tyres will work.

Northwind

steve_b77 – Member

“Is it ok to run normal non UST tyres like that? “

Fine with every one I’ve tried though not all standard tyres do tubeless well.

steve_b77
    Free Member

To the interweb shops!

stumpy01

I used some electrical tape for mine and it’s been fine since July. 3 loops of it, once against one edge, one against the other and one straight down the middle.

Wickes red electrical tape if that makes any difference….! 😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

You realise you don’t need a kit like that for Flows, right? Just the yellow tape and valves.

Yes, well aware of that, but at the time, the joes kit was quite a bit cheaper than buying the stans bits + sealant. So it worked out well for me 😀

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’ve used electrical tape for two and a half years and it’s been fine.

I appreciate I’m likely to crash and die, but I’m just a risk-taker. 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Stans No Tubes yellow rim tape – alternatives….?’ is closed to new replies.