Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Stans No Tubes?
  • clowner
    Free Member

After having to fix several punctures today in the pouring rain I'm thinking of going tubeless.

Looking at using the Stans No Tubes solution on my existing Mavic XM321 and Panaracer Cinder tires.

Does anyone have any experience/opinions/Pros Cons on the No Tubes solution?

thefallguy
    Free Member

Went tubeless myself about 18 months ago using stans kits with dt 4.2 & 5.1 rims with panaracers , bonty mud x and specialized non ust tyres, it has been a really positive experience, the only real issue was inflating the tyres initially, but once you have the knack thats fine too. Suggest a compressor or co2 cartridges to take the pain out of that and a sringe from stans for adding more sealant. If you do a search on here you will see a wide variety of opinion though so I suggest only real way of telling if its for you is to give it ago.

gee
    Free Member

It's brilliant.

GB

Oggles
    Free Member

I had a few teething problems with Panaracers. Took a while to get them fitted because the tyres are very porous. You have to make sure every square mm of the inside of the tyres is coated with the solution, otherwise they will deflate. I would suggest a bit more solution than recommended in, and do the shake shake as explained on Stan's videos, do it for as long as you can be bothered or until you're sure it's all coated!!

I definitely needed a compressor the first time, the (wire bead) Pana tires wouldn't sit right on the rimstrip so it needed that powerful blast for the initial inflation. However, I have managed to reinflate them using a trackpump after topping up the fluid (after ~6 months use).

6 months without a flat is pretty 8)

RealMan
    Free Member

Unless youre fat and corner hard, you will love it.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Converted 6 moths ago and never had a problem. Initial inflation (track pump) was the only faffy bit

clowner
    Free Member

How offten do you need to top up the sealant?

What is the routine if you do get a flat on the trail?

Old style inner tube?

uplink
    Free Member

Have a look at doing it 'ghetto' – Much cheaper & just as effective

Pana Cinders aren't the best choice of tyres mind
    Have a look here for recommend brands
    http://www.justridingalong.com/content.php?pid=529

It's not gospel but gives you an idea

RealMan
    Free Member

Top up the sealant when its running low (shake tyre, if you cant hear it sloshing around, its running low)

Say once every 3-6 months maybe?

What is the routine if you do get a flat on the trail?

Old style inner tube?

Well, you dont. But if you get a massive tear it cant seal, then yes, you just stick a tube in, try to patch the hole, and off you go.

clowner
    Free Member

Well in all my tears of riding i can't recall ever having a massive tear in my tires so all looks good.

Bad news on the panaracers though, wasn't wanting to change my tires as they are fairly new.

Anyone else experience of using Panaracers with this?

gee
    Free Member

Fit tape (to seal the spoke holes and in case you ever have to whack a tube in)

Fit rimstrip – use screwdriver underneath to seat evenly

Fit tyre

Remove valve core

Squirt in 100ml sealant

Replace valve core

Do tubeless dance

Hold wheel in air, put valve at top, pull (pinch apart) the sidewalls either side of the valve to ensure a good seal in this area

Pump like a loon/use compressor/use C02

Do tubeless dance to find small pin-size porous holes in tyre sidewalls, particularly where the sidewall joins the tread and bead.

Be prepared to repeat the last step, even to add more sealant, over the first 2 weeks of having the tyre on.

If you get a flat, let the spooge deal with it by rotating the tyre so the hole is at the bottom. If it can't cope, remove tyre and rimstrip and whack a tube in.

GB

carlphillips
    Free Member

i had to trim the rimstrip slightly too, but all works fine.

lardman
    Free Member

Unless youre fat and corner hard, you will love it.

shit…. i'm a big fat b*stard, who corners real hard, and was just about to go 'tubeless'

what's the deal then?

4.2's and minions both end's.

lardman
    Free Member

err… that should have been 5.1 rims, and minions

dougieb
    Free Member

I've got Stans to work with the Cinders in the past – don't think it was that difficult. However, I would definitely go ghetto as the cost of the stans kit seems to have gone through the roof recently.

Candodavid
    Free Member

if it splits make sure you have some anchovies to repair, depending on where you ride if your tyre has thorns in the tube will pucture pretty much straight away

RealMan
    Free Member

shit…. i'm a big fat b*stard, who corners real hard, and was just about to go 'tubeless'

Heard that you can put enough sideways force to tear the tyre away from the rim, which means you almost immediately lose all air and sealant, and end up in a big mess on the floor covered in sealant and a tyre hanging off a rim.

grumm
    Free Member

I'm fat and corner reasonably hard – never had a problem with the ghetto system with 719s.

Stan's rim strips seem to be a massive rip off compared to a 20" BMX tube.

rich-6
    Free Member

Only recently I could have had one of the stans kits for £25 Brand new, It was at a trail centre in a battered box in the bargain bin 🙄 Should have grabbed it thinking back now

bear-uk
    Free Member

Just done mine for first time tonight.
    355 rims and fitted XC pro's.
    3oz of fluid instead of the recomended 2oz.
    Quite a few white spots on the sidewalls, but they soon seemed to be o/k.
    Tomorrow will see if they are still up, then its fit rotors and try.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i no tubed an ancient x139 last night and its held pressure all night…happy with that!!!

it would help for you to watch this before you install it for just a few little tips which make it easier.

carlphillips
    Free Member

scrub round that, after 4miles out with a group i've never been with, the tire suddenly lost pressure and i ended up skipping the rest of the ride whilst i sorted out the big mess that was sticking a tube back in.

rubbish

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Stans No Tubes?’ is closed to new replies.