Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Stans in a car tyre?
  • sam_underhill

Any reason why not?
    I’ve got a slow flat, I’m thinking that I’ll take the wheel off to inspect the tyre and if it looks OK take out the valve core and bung in some stans to seal up whatever small leak is there.
    The only thing I can think of that’s much different is that a car tyre gets quite warm.

Marge
    Free Member

Never actually tried Stans in a car tyre but the ‘repair kits’ that are normally supplied with cars these days also use a rubber milk to seal the tyre.
    You will need to do the same as a with a bike tyre (plenty of fluid & rotate the tyre to make sure it’s well spread).

The repair kits use approx 500ml so a touch more than a nobby nic

timber

Looked this up for a tractor tyre we have issues with. Did the calculations and we were going to need about 5l of sealant for a front tyre. Didn’t bother.

snaps
    Free Member

Yep done it & it works – only used 50ml in a 205/40/17 tyre & it sorted a slow puncture on a nearly new tyre.

maccruiskeen

I’m thinking that I’ll take the wheel off to inspect the tyre and if it looks OK take out the valve core and bung in some stans to seal up whatever small leak is there.

You’d do that rather than spend a tenner on getting the job done properly?

nach
    Free Member

This is going to be even better than Badger.

fettlin

It worked in my ride on mower wheel 😀

I think if there is a known/specific hole then it should go straight to it and seal (so long as it isn’t mahoosive obviously), but it’s an expensive road to go down if you treated it like bike tires.

jamj1974

I’ve used it before – just to get me to the repair shop. Worked fine – better than the Tyre Weld stuff seems to.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Check it’s not rim corrosion

milky1980
    Free Member

Used Conti Revo Sealant in a brand new Pirelli on my car, worked all summer until it got another puncture that wouldn’t seal and wasn’t repairable. I wouldn’t recommend using it as a permanent repair but for a temp solution it works.

singlespeedstu

If you take the car to a tyre place as soon as they find out you’ve put jizz in the tyre they’ll tell you it’s scrap.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve used the tyre weld stuff to solve rim corrosion in the past with good success.

Certainly for life of car.

molgrips
    Free Member

It does work. Even with corroded rims it stops the slow deflation – almost.

If you take the car to a tyre place as soon as they find out you’ve put jizz in the tyre they’ll tell you it’s scrap.

Wheel or tyre?

sam_underhill

Tyre probably only has 4-5mm tread remaining so if it lasts another 2 to 3 thousand miles then that’s great. If not… Well it’s scrap anyway.

Jizz is in, so will see how it goes.

Wheels are only 7 years old, so I hope they’ve got plenty of life left.

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

Just make sure that once you’ve added the Stan’s you turn it upside down and spin the wheels.

kaiser
    Free Member

also interested why a tyre should be deemed scrap when jizzed ..wouldn’t affect a repair surely ?

singlespeedstu

Wheel or tyre?

Just the tyre.
    I think that they just don’t want to deal with the mess/cleaning up the inside to make a repair.
    This was at two different ATS garages. I think there’s also a warning on the bottle that it will scrap the tyre (Skoda jizz)

milky1980
    Free Member

also interested why a tyre should be deemed scrap when jizzed ..wouldn’t affect a repair surely ?

The chemicals react with the glue they use for the plugs that make a permanent repair. Also some sealants (Stan’s is one of them) have tiny amounts of ammonia (>2% so they don’t have to declare it) that can rot the tyre over a year or so. Boils down to the fact that modern car tyres aren’t really designed to be repaired using jizz like our bike tyres are.

hols2
    Free Member

DT78
    Free Member

Car tyre? One that you drive upto speeds of 70mph? Why risk it….just get a new tyre.

sam_underhill

I’m happy to scrap the tyre in the not too distant future. It’ll definitely be less than a year’s time. Just seems a waste to bin it (+ the other good one on the other side) at the moment.

mmannerr

They sell sealing liquid for tractor tyres, 25 litre buckets are available. Price per litre is not super cheap and I heard that it does not work as well as Stand in the bike tyres.

And can confirm that tyre shops are not too keen to work on tyres which have been filled with sealant. I used the stuff on one puncture but tyre could still be repaired as most of the sealant was spilled on me (6mm bolt through tyre was bit too big to seal).

Northwind

DT78 – Member

Car tyre? One that you drive upto speeds of 70mph? Why risk it…

What do you think the risk is?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Stans in a car tyre?’ is closed to new replies.