Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Stans flow rims and the yellow tape fitting
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Just got some hope hoops with flow rims and want to run em tubeless. Is it best to put 2 full runs of tape round each rim or just the one?

Any tips to fitting/bedding in the tape? Do you do what is on the video and pump a tyre and tube up to seat the tape?

messiah
    Free Member

I went with the flow rim strips on mine – been working a treat for the last month with Michelin UST tyres.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I doubled up on my tape and basically did what it said in the video. Lots of cleaning and then tape and then tyre and tube over night.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

not got time for the over night shenanigans will have to be an hour max to seat the tape

Tiboy

ONzadog, where’s the video? I’ve got the tape and valves on their way for my flows, so for once I’d like to do a proper job!

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s on the Notubes site. Loads of instructions on there and a pretty helpful forum as well.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

What can i use as the cleaner as have no brake cleaner 🙁

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Grapefruit juice and brown sugar

Northwind

Isopropyl alcohol will do the job perfectly too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

grab one of those little cleaning wipes out of the first aid kit or at a push, rob some nail varnish removed from the mrs.

Tiboy

thanks onzadog, should have looked there I guess!?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

seconded – cheers onzadog

Anthony
    Free Member

Wipe rim with meths
    Leave for few mins
    Apply one rotation of tape with 3″ overlap
    Cut valve hole with scalpel
    Insert tube and leave for 30mins at 40psi
    Carefully remove one side of tyre bead
    Remove tube and smear plenty of soapy water on bead and rim wall
    Fit valve and remove core
    Refit tyre and place flat over bucket
    Pump like mad.

With a bit of luck the tyre will pop/clang onto the rim. If not then fit a tube and try again anoter day.

If it works then,

Deflate tyre and again remove valve core.
    Insert (using a 60mls syringe) about 80mls of sealant (in two goes)
    Replace valve core and inflate to 35psi
    Shake and spin wheel as much as pos.

Go ride. Take a tube with you. They often loose pressure if it’s a new tyre until the sealant has covered everything inside. Some tyres are better than others, I’ve had some seal within seconds and others that have taken a week.

Once your confident it’s holding pressure you can adjust it to suit. I like mine about 20-25psi.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Why the faff? Schwalbe bmx tubes, JRA milk, fairy liquid, track pump (or sometimes CO2 with certain tyres)8 tyre changes on the same bmx tube and still no worries. Rim tape sounds like way too much hassle.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

because all rims bar sealed beds require tape :tard:

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Running the same bmx tubes on 717’s with eight different tyre changes over the last 14 months – NO TAPE.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

no rim tape to cover the spoke holes?

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

yES rOB – what you driving at the moment?

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

OK there is the original Velox tape but no faffing stickytape

racing_ralph
    Free Member

ha ha pwned ya sen

racing_ralph
    Free Member

driving – why do you ask? if i must tell you, ya mums car as i left mine at her house last night!!

matthewlhome
    Free Member

as Anthony said. One wrap of yellow tape pulled tight when stuck on. I did this with Bonty TLR tyres. Inflated for half an hour with an inner tube in, then removed the tube, put the valve stem, poured some Stans juice in the tyre and they pumped straight up.

As for less faff with BMX tubes – i think not. The Stans rims have been ace, actually pumpable with a normal track pump (unlike the rimstrips i bought which are a nightmare!)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

pumped up with a basic track pump – up first time

Anthony
    Free Member

Quite how anyone can say Ghetto is less faff than Stan’s rims (NOT Stan’s rimstrip kits, these are a different ball game completely) clearly hasn’t grasped the concept of Stan’s rims.

It’s exactly the same as Ghetto, except wihout the faff of needing the BMX tube!

Glad you got sorted R-ralph, Stan’s rims are brilliant. I can run mine sub 20psi and I haven’t burped once in over a year of use.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Rob my mother passed away nine weeks ago.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

😳

why do you insist you know me btw?

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

one wrap of yellow tape.

and mundie, once there is that one wrap, its just like a mavic sealed ust rim. i change tyres all the time on stans rims with no problems.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Stans flow rims and the yellow tape fitting’ is closed to new replies.