Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stans flow rim question
  • glynP
    Free Member

I normally use mavic ust rims so dont need to mess about with rim tape etc, just got a set of flow rims so what do i need to make them tubless, can I get away with Stans yellow rim tape and a tubless valve or do I need the full rubber strip carry on?

Liftman

As you stated yellow tape and tubeless valves, you dont need the rubber rim strip.

matthew_h
    Free Member

But they will work better with the rubber rim strip and will be less likely to burp.

glynP
    Free Member

BURP! I hope not my ust ims have never burped, is that nomal with Stans also are they easy to get tyres on and off?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The’re just as unlikely to burp as UST rims if you’re using tubeless tyres. On non-tubeless tyres, they can burp sometimes, but IME it very much depends on your tyre choice.

The usual caveats Re: baggy tyres stands. I’ve run flows for nearly 4 years now and he only tyres that have burped have been folding maxxis (non-tubeless) – Specifically an ADvantage.

KonaTC

+1 for yellow tape and tubeless valves

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The advice I had from Jon at JRA was:-

UST tyre – yellow tape and valve only.

non-UST tyre – yellow tape and rim strip.

A non-UST setup will work without the rim strip, but it will be more burp prone.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

one flow rim I have was a leaky pain in the butt till I changed from yellow tape to a rim strip, even with a UST tyre. The rubber rim strip was just easier too. It isn’t like the yellow tape is exactly cheap.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The only thing that says to me is that the tape was improperly installed.

Northwind

Only ever managed to burp one non-UST tyre, and it also dinged the rim and gouged a chunk out of the sidewall at the same time so I can’t say as I blame it for burping. Stans + yellow tape + suitable standard tyre = win. Lots of miles on my Nevegals with this setup including the fort bill downhill and .

As far as I can tell the performance of Stans with tape is identical to my 819s despite not being “proper ust”. Certainly wouldn’t dream of fitting a rim strip to mine.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Scienceofficer – you’re probably right – and not me who did it…

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Another vote for Flows with yellow tape and standard tyre here. Been running Nevegal/Blue Groove for about a year now without any probs. I’m 15st ish and run pretty low pressures, no burps.

glynP
    Free Member

Thanks guys my confidence in my new Industry nines on Flows is back, now to build the rest of the bike new Blur LTC arrived today with nice Bos forks, loverly!

eshershore
    Free Member

forget the yellow tape – its expensive and does not stick very well

the trick is to use Specialized’s “Roval” blue tape (which they sell for their Traversee all-mtn wheels) its about £7 for a huge roll, much more adhesive than Stan’s yellow tape and also considerably thicker / tougher

we use this with the Stan’s valve units, and 2-3 cups of solution and it works very reliably with minimal degradation of the tape over months of use

for tires? Specialized ‘Control’ (2-bliss = tubeless ready) family of tires work great with the ZTR rims

I’ve personally used the Captain in 2″ and 2.2″, Eskar, Purgatory, Fast Trak LK. Storm XC and Clutch SX with Stans’s on ZTR Flow rims with no burping, tire roll or any installation problems (track pump, goes up first time, every time…)

glynP
    Free Member

cheers for the advice, cant see past 2.35″ high roller ust on the front with a ust 2.25″ crossmark on the rear,

nickegg
    Free Member

glynP: I had no problems inflating a UST Maxxis tyre on my rear Flow rim (2.25 Ardent). Took seconds using a track pump. Only used yellow tape.

Just tried fitting a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 (Wire bead) to a new front Flow rim and have given up for the night!!! Just wouldn’t work at all. Have left it with a tube installed in a bid to get the beads to fit better.

I’m giving normal tyres a go as the UST tyres are abit weighty.

Northwind

Mmm, I’ve used yellow tape in my stans and roval blue tape in my rovals (funnily enough) and they seem to work much the same, though the roval tape “slipped” when I removed a tyre once which the yellow tape never has. So now that wheel has bog standard electric tape instead and it seems to work about the same.

robhughes
    Free Member

bit of a hijack but can you use a standard tyre on flows

Northwind

Aye, no problem at all

nickegg
    Free Member

Well….to anyone that cares: Leaving a tube in overnight has worked a treat.

Unseated one side, removed the tube, added latex & valve, reseated bead and after a few pumps….tubeless tyre! Looks like the bead just needed a little assistance.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stans flow rim question’ is closed to new replies.