Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Stans Flow EX ZTR & Tubes
  • discoduck
    Free Member

I’m having a bit of trouble and whilst I know I’m supposed to run tubeless rims tubeless I’m having a few issues with the bastid things !

Frinstance
    If I wheel my bike into garage and return two days later I expect the bastid things to have air in them !

So have been running tubes or a tube in the rear wheel but I’m getting constant flats on the inner side of the tube, the rubber seems to be balling up and perforating the tube where its rubbing on the rim tape !

It’s pissing me off to be honest !

Running tubeless is ruining my riding.

chiefgrooveguru

If they’re going flat in two days they need more (or some) sealant!

Clobber
    Free Member

Yes any sealant in there?

Done the shaky thing to make sure sealant is spread around?

Using yellow tape?

discoduck
    Free Member

I put six little scoops in there as it was the first time I’d used it, I shook the bottle from hell and back prior to and whilst applying it? Spun the wheels, flipped em over side to side back to front rolled around then took apart and re did with another 4 scoops,

Then lost patience and put tube in, then it started holing the tubes !

Now I’m considering putting my old Mavics back on ?

Clobber
    Free Member

What Rim Tape have you got in there?

prezet
    Free Member

What tyres are you using? I had real troubles getting standard Racing Ralph’s to seal, a Nobby Nic went up ok after a bit of trying – but my Hans Dampf were easy to hold. Probably because they are snakeskin sidewalls.

I’d suggest inflating them and then putting the wheel in a shallow bath to see where they’re leaking.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Very long shot, but you could have split the rim.

If it were me I would be taking the rim tape off (seems like that is a problem for you already so a good idea to do it anyway), checking the rim and taping it up again.

I am running these with some Superstar rim tape (the wider tape) tubeless with some Hans Dampfs and they have been incredible.

martinhutch

What tyres? Can you hear air escaping? And have you actually ridden them or just fitted them and put them back in the garage?

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

No yellow tape?

stevied
    Free Member

Did you do the ‘soapy water around the tyre’ test? That’s a good way to find leaks and concentrate on getting the sealant to that spot.

discoduck
    Free Member

I’m using yellow tape, and MAXXIS High Roller 2 dual ply jobbies

42 front
    60 rear

Cannot hear air escaping and not tried the bath yet, initially put 60 psi in left it overnight then dropped to just over 30 before I rode, yes I’ve ridden in them, a couple of hundred miles, seems OK whilst riding to be honest but they just drop pressure for no reason ?

I wonder if its the valve ?

IA

Valve not tight enough in the rim?

That combo should be flawless, something wrong with your setup…

extremo
    Free Member

I’ve had this happen a couple of times when I first went tubeless. sometimes tyres deflating when not riding, but it tends to correct itself after a couple of rides. Other issues that could cause this are tyres with porous side walls. If that’s the case then they will slowly deflate.

gazc
    Free Member

my geax saguaro dropped pressure after every ride for the first 4/5 rides but now holds air fine. maybe persevere with it a little longer?

Northwind

Have you actually done any riding on them tubeless? Or just sealed them up then left them? UST aside I’ve never had a tubeless tyre stay up fully til it’s been ridden at least once… Just beds everything in and spreads the sealant out (and helps it hit the leaks while they’re leaking which draws it in)

No idea what’s going on with your tubes issues though, sorry!

sugdenr
    Free Member

When I replace tyres I get a bucket with some water/soap in it, so I can soapy them to get them on and all over the tyre rim edge and valve afterward – now you can see any porosity or leaks. Then shake it all around and lie inflated wheel on the bucket and leave for an hour, shake, soapy again, turn over and leave other side. Repeat until no more foaming from anywhere. Once sealed up a veritable collander of a panaracer doing this.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Just to rule out a longshot…

I have seen someone refer to the standard rimtape that comes with Hope Hoops as “yellow tape” and they were getting a bit frustrated with the way the setup kept deflating over the space of a day or so when tried tubeless with stans fluid.

I trust you have removed the stock rimtape (it’s a greeny-yellowy colour, hence his confusion), and replaced it with a Stans 25mm tape.

Apologies if I’m stating the obvious, just worth ruling it out.

damascus
    Free Member

Ecky thump, I was about to say the same thing. I was disappointed my Tubeless rims came with standard rim tape. It was an extra cost I had not factored in. Then you need the valves and the sealant etc.

But having run Tubeless, I’d never go back.

discoduck
    Free Member

Hi, they’re not hope hoops, they are hand built custom Jobbies, its proper tape,

And I’ve even ridden them !

Although I was told to fit them and leave them overnight and not ride straight away ? I bobbed 60 PSI in them initially reducing this to 30 ish for riding ?

kudos100
    Free Member

So have been running tubes or a tube in the rear wheel but I’m getting constant flats on the inner side of the tube, the rubber seems to be balling up and perforating the tube where its rubbing on the rim tape !

I have a pair of flows and was getting the same thing on the rear with tubes.

What I found was a little rough ridge that seemed to be pinching the tubes and causing the problem.

I filed it down and haven’t had any problems since.

edd

Personally I’m a luddite so I run my Stan’s Flow EX rim with a tube. Works fine for me…

Northwind

discoduck – Member

Although I was told to fit them and leave them overnight and not ride straight away ?

Never heard that tbh! Suppose it means that if they’re going to pop off, they’ll probably do it overnight rather than while riding but it’s not like that’s common anyway.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Stans Flow EX ZTR & Tubes’ is closed to new replies.