Stan's Flow – Cracked at a spoke hole?

Home Forum Bike Forum Stan's Flow – Cracked at a spoke hole?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Stan's Flow – Cracked at a spoke hole?
  • Is this a common problem?

Generally only if it’s been overtightened, or took a big whack and was pulled straight (also overtightened really!)

Was it built by Superstar?

Is this a common problem?

Yep, it’s why I went for mvic rims which have eyelets rather than saving a few grams and paying more for the privelage.

bigdugsbaws

Even on correctly tensioned rims I have seen swelling round the nipples that is only going to crack in the future.

cynic-al

Not heard of that. You are aware of the spoke tension maximum?

BTW my 6 year old Olympics are fine, no cracks. I did bulge my alpha 340s tho 🙁

thisisnotaspoon – thew lightest mavic tubeless rim is about 550gm IIRC – stans are 350+

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Subscriber

Isn’t this why the Sun Ringle licensed version of Stan’s rims have eyelets? Apparently you can only buy them as complete wheels, though.

Andy

Hob Nob

Yes – no eyelets = weak point.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Certainly not common but yep, it’s how they tend to fail. Though to be fair, it’s how eyeletted wheels tend to fail too if they last long enough without getting smashed.

Sun Ringle make Stan’s rims. Most Sun rims are silly light, and I’ve seen the eyelets pull out of them too.

MuddyDave

Don’t suppose the hubs are straight pull are they? My LBS had some experience of Crest and Flow rims cracking and originally blamed the non-eyelet design. After more research the majority of failures occurred on straight pull hubs. Could be coincidence as Mr WheelPro spends some time on his site discussing the lower spoke tensions recommended by Stan (i.e. caused because there are no eyelets). However, I’ve got 3 sets of Flow 29ers, one of Crest 29er and no signs of cracking and all traditional j bend spoked hubs. I do tend to stay in contact with the ground though ;o)

Premier Icon Conespanner
    Subscriber

Yes Muddy Dave Mr Wheelpro states that spoke tension is nearly 300N less on stan’s rims. If you go into Bike treks in ambleside and look at the Hope Hoops display and compare the stans rim to a mavic also on display the difference is very obvious.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Compare them how? Squeeze the spokes? What does that tell you?

As above, it’s certainly not common, I’ve never seen one do it, but it’s how most rims fail (eyeletted or not)!

cynic-al

Conespanner: if it was significant then stans rims would have so many failures they would be out of business.

DUH.

Standard spoked Hope Hoops rear wheel.

Hope have said to send it to them and they’ll take a look. I love Hope.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Instead of my Flows cracking, they simply decide to come loose almost every ride….. 😕

Premier Icon Conespanner
    Subscriber

Squeezing parallel spokes on the non drive between the two examples tells you loads. It’s not scientific but if you tension to the amount that you would say a Mavic rim you can understan why some stan rims crack. Hope hoops are machine built and obviously stans recomendations have been calcualted into the hope build.

Are these cracks on machine built wheels or hand built examples.

thisisnotaspoon – thew lightest mavic tubeless rim is about 550gm IIRC – stans are 350+

Yes, but that’s not comparing like for like is it? Stan’s rims aren’t tubeless, they still need a rim strip, I run my EN521’s tubeless with stans strips.

Stans flow rim 470g
    Mavic EN521 540g

~70g, not 200g.

doof_doof

Squeezing parallel spokes on the non drive between the two examples tells you loads

Tells you more about the hub flange geometry than anything about the rim.

doof_doof – Member
    Tells you more about the hub flange geometry than anything about the rim.

What are the major differences in hub flange geometry between a Mavic rim on a Hope Pro 2 hub and a Stan’s Rim on a Hope Pro 2 hub?

Just the top three will do.

messiah

Certain mavic rims notoriously crack under the steel eyelet 🙄 and mine failed when the eyelet pulled out 😈

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Stan’s rims aren’t tubeless, they still need a rim strip, I run my EN521’s tubeless with stans strips.

The newest ones (Podium, Crest, Flow) work best just with a turn of yellow tape, ie a rim tape. Mavic rims, even with the heavier rim strips don’t work as well.

EN321s aren’t really comparable to Flows either, the Flow is a tougher rim.

You can’t really draw direct comparisons between Mavic and Stan’s rims. I personally found my XC717s far more prone to denting than the Olympics, Crests or Podiums I’ve had, which have all been lighter, in the case of the Podiums they’re over 110g lighter each (not that I’d expect them to be as strong, but they look in better nick after a year than any of the 717s I’ve had are!). The only wheels I’ve experienced cracks around the spoke holes on are old X517s and a Crossmax UST.

Stan’s sole downfall is that they’re significantly more expensive than Mavic (except when my Crossmax cracked it went in the bin, making a Stan’s rim seem a bargain), other than that I see no reason to buy Mavic personally! YMMV of course.

Next bottle of sealant I’m getting will be CaffeLatex for that reason.. Apparently it’s pH neutral, so is kinder to tyres and rims (and hands??)

EN321s aren’t really comparable to Flows either, the Flow is a tougher rim.

Possibly, I was talking about the 521 which is the big new-ish toblerone shaped rim. Felt much stiffer than the 321 it was replacing during building.

They worked with just a layer of electrical tape, but I’ve got the strips so used them and have been faultless so far.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Yes, but that’s not comparing like for like is it? Stan’s rims aren’t tubeless, they still need a rim strip

No they don’t, they work best with the yellow tape (and once taped are functionally identical to my 819s). Not the same thing at all as adding a rim strip, works much better as they have a proper bead hook.
    Adding a rim strip to a stans rim would be daft.

ScottChegg

That’s how my Stan’s Flow’s failed. 2 weeks old, and collapsed. (Factory built Hope Hoops) The autopsy said they were overtightned.

I will not have another Stan’s rim. It’s not worth it.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Stan's Flow – Cracked at a spoke hole?’ is closed to new replies.