Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Stans Dart tubeless plugs
  • RicB

Anyone got one yet?

I’ve always managed fine with the Weldtite tubeless kits and spare anchovies from eBay but after a few punctures that were tricky to seal whilst faffing about in pouring rain I wondered about having some darts as a quicker option.

Also found that fitting anchovies is harder with foams in the tyre, and a couple of anchovies worked their way out. Presumably because the foam pushes against them from the inside.

I presume it’s best to just buy the 5-dart refill kit and use a suitably sized hex key to install, rather than buying the bulky tool with only two darts?

rone

Interested too.

happybiker
    Free Member

I have only ever used the old anchovy type, can’t help thinking the Stans Dart should have the fluffy bit inside to catch sealant instead of outside to catch dirt!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    howarthp

Mine has just arrived. Not used it yet. Currently have Dynaplug equivalent that has worked well on the last two punctures I’ve had recently

RicB

Howarthp- please can you check if the darts will fit into a standard hex key?

igm

Ouch. Makes Dynaplug look cheap.

howarthp

2mm allen key works well

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ouch. Makes Dynaplug look cheap.

Like CO2 I kinda view dyna-plug as something for racing where a quick repair is better than limping back to the pits for a wheel change. Whereas anchovies and pumps are the everyday alternative.

But yea….. £35 for a puncture repair kit that only does 2 punctures!

Having said that, touch wood I’ve had no tubeless punctures so far this year! Plenty of tubes, on the one bike still not tubeless, but no tubeless faff.

MSP

Am I right in thinking that these and the dynaplugs leave a sharp pointy object on the inside of the tyre and would render an innertuble useless in a repaired tyre.

howarthp

It’s £25, not £35 – still expensive but the two times I’ve had punctures this year have been in grim conditions so the ability to fix quickly makes the cost more than worthwhile (Dynaplug in these particular cases)

howarthp

MSP – you’d just pull the sharp bits out before putting in an inner tube

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Also have a dynaplug but haven’t used it yet. The sharp points are only loosely attached to the plugs and only assist in inserting the plugs. You could easily remove the point when popping a tube in

ocrider

I’d be interested to find out which sealants these work with. Would any latex based one work?

mashr

Should work with every sealant, it’s just giving a better surface for sealant to hold onto and plug the remaining (tiny) gaps

simondbarnes

Should work with every sealant, it’s just giving a better surface for sealant to hold onto and plug the remaining (tiny) gaps

No, the plug is designed to chemically react with the sealant to permanently seal the hole. This definitely won’t happen with water based sealants.

RicB

Thanks Howarthp

Did you get the 5 extra darts with the kit, or buy them separately?

I agree with cost but having spend 20mins in pouring rain at night fixing the last puncture, including dropping my Cameback into a dog turd, I’d pay £4 not to have to do that again.

The alternative way of increasing surface area for the sealant is to use a small strip of cotton, and push that in with a hex key. Not tried it myself

mashr

No, the plug is designed to chemically react with the sealant to permanently seal the hole. This definitely won’t happen with water based sealants.

Huh, mustve missed that bit. Thought Stans was water based?

simondbarnes

Thought Stans was water based?

I’d always thought that it was latex based with ammonia and some other stuff. The MSDS has bugger all useful info on it…

https://www.notubes.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/GIS-004%20Stan%27s%20Tire%20Sealant%20SDS%20GHS%20R6.pdf

stevious

I’d be interested to hear how well these hold up at higher pressures (gravel and road).

I’ve had mixed success with tubeless road, but a really quick puncture repair makes it seem a bit more worthwhile.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d always thought that it was latex based with ammonia and some other stuff.

I suppose there might be something coating the darts that makes the latex solution congeal (something to lower the pH) but I suspect that they would work well with other sealents just by giving them more surface area to dry out on.

Stans is water based in so far as its a natural latex solution in water (with some other stuff to keep it stable).

I’d be interested to hear how well these hold up at higher pressures (gravel and road).

Gravel ive never had a problem with anchovies, and know people who use dynaplugs. But then I only run a max of 40psi in 35mm tyres.

On the road Stans Race has always sealed the punctures, worst was it dropped to 60psi but I got home and it sealed properly overnight.

My worry with road tyres is jamming a 5mm diameter lump in the tyre is going to make the tyre bulge. Almost like it needs a really thin option. Im tempted to try soaking some wool in rubber solution and using a large weaving needle with the end snipped off.

RicB

I’ve had mixed success with road tubeless. It’s definitely more comfortable and feels a bit grippier due to running slightly lower pressures.

Punctures don’t seal well though, including the one I got 5 miles into the Fred. Anything above 40psi seems to blow the sealant plug out. Plus anchovies on the tread surface make for an uncomfortable ride

howarthp

I bought the Dart (2 repairs) and the refill (5 repairs)

I’ve used the Dynaplug for two gravel bike punctures at 50psi – the first took a while to seal but eventually did, the second was immediate. Both while using Orange Endurance sealant

RicB

So as to keep this in the same thread

Had to use the Stans Dart repair for the first time this evening and…..

Utter garbage.

Not really much quicker than a pre-loaded anchovy and was quite tricky to force through the tyre (Hans Dampf Snakeskin). 30 mins later the tyre was flat again and when I moved the plug a bit all of the black fabric/rubber things just fell off. Presumably the white plastic barb is rattling inside the tyre (which had a fair bit of sealant in it)

Put an anchovy in and all-good.

big_scot_nanny

Thanks Ric, appreciate the follow up, I was also interested for similar reasons as you

binman

Used one today when a hole wouldn’t seal (when pedalling) at the base of a nobble.

It broke the first dart (awkward angle) but the second one worked.

First time I have seen a hole not seal.

I wouldn’t use an allen key, it would be too fiddly.

Underwhelming !

zntrx
    Free Member

To follow up on the 6 month old comments now that this thread has popped up again… I had a huge hole in a Marathon supreme a few months ago. I plugged it with 2 dynaplugs, can’t remember if it was 2 fat or 1 fat/1 skinny.

It’s been fine since, though the pointy end has come off one and is rattling (haven’t bothered taking it off to remove yet!). I run this tyre at 80 PSI.

NormalMan

Anyone tried the Lezyne tubeless kit?

Lezyne tubeless kit

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm i thought these were the holy grail – i was going to get some as all the vids suggest they are really good!

anyone actually got positive reviews from them in the real world?

mickyfinn
    Free Member

For me the Holy Grail has been Dynaplugs simple as can be. Quick to apply, quick to seal and just works -the metal point isn’t actually sharp just pointy enough to squeeze into the hole-. I’ve used 3 small in 2 years all have save the day in holes which wouldn’t seal.

sillyoldman

As above – Dynaplug. Not had a hole that can’t be fixed quickly and easily yet.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Used my stans dart for the first time last night. Quietly impressed. No issues getting the dart in to a hole smaller than the 5 MM min hole size they’re designed for. The first one came out after a couple of hundred metres, but I hadn’t left it any time to ‘weld’ with the sealant. Popped a second one in, again no issues, left it a good few minutes and did a bit of giggling about with the tyre to coat the dart and this time it worked like a dream. No issues for the rest of the ride and still up now. Deff quicker, easier and cleaner tgsn anchovies (user error aside)

Kryton57

left it a good few minutes

So not the race saving solution I thought it might be…

sofaboy73
    Free Member

So not the race saving solution I thought it might be…

i suspect they would seel quicker than i left them, but i was being over cautious. first one only came out as i was heavy breaking on some stone slabs just where the plug was on the tyre so a little unlucky.

only have a sample size of one use, but impressed so far and the best tubeless repair solution trailside i’ve found so far (although ive not used dynaplugs)

RicB

The first one came out after a couple of hundred metres

Quietly impressed

Erm…

Think I’ll buy a Dynaplug. If I’m paying £4 for a rapid and might-work puncture repair I’d rather pay a bit more for something that’s guaranteed to work

The other thing that struck me is that Darts require sealant. If you’ve been a bit lax topping up, the darts won’t work whereas a Dynaplug or anchovy will

claudie

Bit disappointed to read the above as I was keen to hear people’s feedback. I’ve never had a problem with anchovies and I always preload them at home so the repair is very quick, they’re cheap so can’t really see the point in the more expensive solutions.

Duane…
    Free Member

Sorry for stupid question, what is the difference between bacon strips and anchovies in the tubeless context..?

And I assume neither dynaplugs nor stans dart fit into either of those categories?

Thanks,
    Duane

RicB

Bacon strip=tubeless worm=anchovy=tubeless poos

They never had an official name so people invented their own

Dynaplug are just tubeless poos with a brass tip to make insertion easier and come in a very expensive machined holder/insertion tool

Darts are completely different- check youtube

whitestone
    Free Member

Darts definitely won’t work

13thfloormonk

My riding buddy tried putting a Dart into a small puncture which had reopened on this morning’s ride.

The first one failed instantly, the head disappeared (I’m assuming into the tyre, and it seemed to leave the stem behind in the tool? The little rosette of plugging material just sort of fluttered to the ground.

The second one seemed to work, but the rosette just seemed to be sat on the surface of the tyre, so not really sure what the point of it is? It didn’t actually seal properly until I suggested he rotated the wheel until the plug was immersed in sealant.

I’ve chosen to resist the lure of tubeless but at least two riding pals are now using it, and these are guys I want to be going for long remote adventures with so if they don’t learn to fix punctures reliably then I might have to!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Stans Dart tubeless plugs’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts