Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Stan's Crest rims + rimstrips + Bonty Mud X = frustration
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Has anyone managed to get Mud X tyres working on Crest rims with the Stan’s rimstrip?

I had a very frustrating lunch hour failing to do this.

nuke

Why are you using a rimstrip and not just yellow tape & valve?

My Mud-X is on a WTB non-tubeless rim with just yellow tape & valve and it works fine.

tazzymtb

why are you using a rim strip with a crest rim? just yellow tape and valve is required and mud x go on fine in both 26 and 29er guise very easily.

Clobber
    Free Member

What they said… Dead easy even with a track pump…

tazzymtb

do you think there should be some sort of I.Q test or at least a reading the instructions test before letting folks near a stans rim 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, all but the baggiest tyres will be obscenely tight with a Crest and a rim strip. Yellow tape and valve only. Far better.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I’ve had very good results with the Flow rims and rimstrips and bad experiences with the yellow tape getting ruined whenever I change tyres before.

Are you all finding the Mud X works well tubeless, before I fork out for more yellow tape?

tazzymtb

how the chuff do you damage yellow tape changing a tyre?

Clobber
    Free Member

I did exactly that combination, Crests with yellow tape plus mud-x only a fortnight ago and they went up instantly and with a quick shake of the gunk sealed almost instantly.

Have you installed your yellow tape as per the Stans video guide?

Did you use a bit of washing up liquid on the rim?

Are your tyres clean?

EDIT: Can’t believe you use rimstrips with flows…

Northwind

Is it a tubeless ready Mud X? I’ve used those tubeless and unsurprisingly, it went quite well. Well, other than them only being any good at mud, and really quite awful at rocks with mud on, anyway.

Buuut, there’s a lot of chat about the latest stans rims being built tighter- folks having issues with Specialized and Schwalbe tubeless tyres. Could be the same thing?

First of all though, dispense with rim strip.

tazzymtb – Member
    how the chuff do you damage yellow tape changing a tyre?

Sometimes when you unbead the tyre, it’ll pull the tape across with it.

nuke

Are you all finding the Mud X works well tubeless, before I fork out for more yellow tape?

TBH not that good…it might be that I haven’t got use to the weight of the Alfine at the back but I find the thin walls and narrowness of the Mud-X mean you have to pump the tyres pretty hard to stop the tyre collapsing as it were on smallish jumps or when hitting rocks/roots clumsily. I have had the tyre burp on the rear as well off a small jump. Thing with this is I like a bit of comfort so having the tyres pumped up rock hard means an uncomfortable ride for the rest of the cycle.

tazzymtb

Sometimes when you unbead the tyre, it’ll pull the tape across with it.

oooo I’ve learned something new , unfortunately this means I must be far to anal with my set us as i’ve never had that happen to me in years of stans abuse 😕

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

Yes tubeless ready ones , but I tried them on a UST rim years ago and they didn’t stay up, sidewalls seemed a bit floppy.

Tazzy – As northwind says, the tape gets dragged into the centre or entirely off to one side. Had it happen on three different sets of wheels before I gave up on it.

Clobber – I mainly use rimstrips on Flows to avoid problem mentioned above, but I suspect they might help stop burping too – not had it happen since I fitted them anyway.

Might stick with tubes

🙁

rewski
    Free Member

I had a mare with mud x on xt rims just couldn’t get the bead to fix, switched to spesh storm, easy peasy even with track pump.

pete68
    Free Member

Using Crests, yellow tape and Mud x in 29er flavour with no problems.Go up easy with track pump.I expect the thickness of the rimstrip is stopping the tyre seating properly.As you’ve already paid out for tubless wheels you may as well try the tape for a few quid more.

br
    Free Member

do you think there should be some sort of I.Q test or at least a reading the instructions test before letting folks near a stans rim

Its the ‘i’ generation, ‘cos it just works – they are buggered with anything more demanding.

Based upon the experience of having 3 teenage sons.

njee20
    Free Member

the tape gets dragged into the centre or entirely off to one side. Had it happen on three different sets of wheels before I gave up on it

Clean your rims with IPA (or similar) when you apply the tape, make sure it’s stretched tight, and really press it down, that’ll stop it coming off as easily. If you put it on dirty rims then it’s far more likely to happen.

Mud-Xs with flimsy sidewalls!? Crikey, I hate racing on them because they’re so heavy, and have run them at <20psi before!

rewski
    Free Member

Clean your rims with IPA

that’s a waste of beer

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

If the yellow tape is lifting up, then it’s probably coz it’s not tight enough. When you put it on you’ve got to sand the rim, degrease it and then haul like hell on the tape as you put it in place.
    Mud x’s have always worked fine for me.. I’ve got a history of wrecking them on the rear wheel though.

EDIT: What njee said!

scaredypants

clean yr rims, apply tape tightly and then compress it using an inner tube inside the new tyre (will make the tyre a bit easier to fit too)

then soapy water when you put the tubeless tyre (back) on after removing tube and putting in yr valve

(I’ve ever seen “proper” yellow tape come off anyway though)

allgearnoidea
    Free Member

Had similar problem with Mud X on DT swiss 29er rims, after some research got it sorted, was operator error, I suggest checking out video at Stans website http://www.notubes.com/Movies.aspx its all in the installation.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Stan's Crest rims + rimstrips + Bonty Mud X = frustration’ is closed to new replies.