Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Stans Crest ok for XC?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I’m after a lightweight set of 650b wheels for light XC use on my Tempest. Does anyone have experience of the new Crests (mk3) for this type of riding? I’m aware of the 40psi limit, but I’ll be running 2.1″ tyres so that shouldn’t be a problem. The hubs I’d like to use are 28h only, so I’m slightly worried that the back wheel in particular might be a bit flexy/weak. I am only 65kg though, and it’s a fully rigid bike so won’t be used for anything particularly rough.

With Bitex BX106 hubs I reckon can get a wheelset at less than 1400g for less than £300.

Cheers!

johnnystorm

If it helps I’ve ridden down Snowdon Ranger on the old crests and nobody died.

jairaj

I had crest mk1 wheels many moons ago in 26 flavour. They are more than up to the job of light weight xc duty, I hammered them up and down rocky trails in Wales, Peaks and lakes for many years and they were straight as an arrow. I’d even say you might even want to think about going for the next lighter rim that Stans do?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

So, you’re light, your riding is light, and you’re worried that they’ll not be strong enough? Who exactly do you think they’re aimed at? 🙂

DrP

They’ll be fine..i ran them for years on a rigid 29er SS..upgraded to Arch Ex, then Hunt XC wide, purely cos i wanted wider rims..

DrP

Mowgli
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’d just read a few reports of them being very flexy and easily damaged, but it sounds like they’ll be fine. Hurrah!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of sets of these rims. They’re significantly lighter than any other equivalents which is great. Unfortunately it’s at the expense of durability. It’s almost impossible to build a strong set as the required spoke tension is too high and they fractures the spoke holes in the rims. The rear drive side is the worst.

Happened to 2 sets of mine and everyone I know that’s had a pair.

I’m 72kg, ride XC and I’m very kind to the rims. Same has happened to my sub 60kg friends. I know loads of people that have had these rims as I’ve raced a fair few seasons recently. Same story every time.

I’ve just replaced them with some DT Swiss XR391’s. Bit heavier, wider but build quality is waaaay better.

I’d avoid the crests

molgrips
    Free Member

I had ZTR Olympics for years – I’m a fat bastard at 85-90kg and they were on an Orange 5 and they were still great, no cracks.

taxi25
    Free Member

I had crest mk1 wheels many moons ago in 26 flavour. They are more than up to the job of light weight xc duty,

Ditto.I’m 80kg+ and had the same using Dt240’s. The went from bike to bike, and I think I trashed 2 rims in about 6-7yrs. Sold them with the last 26″ bike I had a sub 21lbs Scott Scale. I don’t usually regret selling bikes but I do that one 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had them on my SS 29er for ages with zero problems, but they were the OEM eyeletted versions and nearly symmetrical hub flanges.

I’ve now got Crests (mk2?) on my CX bike, and building them was a PITA, there simply isn’t a way to get enough tension into the non drive side at the rear. 28h with novatec hubs.

In the end I just thought f*** it and went over the recommended tension to build a reliable wheel. At some point they will pull through. Then I’ll replace it with a WTB i19 asymetric, same width, 100g heavier, and even spoke tensions!

I’m 90kg (was 110 at one point on the SS though).

For 650b at your weight it’s probably fine. I would maybe keep an eye out for 650b version of the WTB rims in the sales, it’s the same ERD too IIRC so if it ever does crack then it’s a straightforward swap.

I’ll caveat my positive review by saying I only paid ~30% of RRP. So if they die then they owe me very little.

john_l
    Free Member

Just an observation – all of the positive feedback seems to be on earlier versions of the Crest. Mk3’s are wider and significantly lighter.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Yeah, I think it’s the most recent version that folk have had troule with. The Arch is only 425g, so I might just go with those instead.

jakd95
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of 650b Crests (32h) that were used on my gravel bike (loaded up for bikepacking) and now are on the commuter with 47c WTB Horizons. I weigh about 75kg and don’t ride particularly sympathetically and they’ve been absolutely fine.

Edit: think mine are the mk2 actually.

swanny853

I’ve had a few sets of the older model. They’ve been fine. A little harder to keep true because of the tension limit- not so much that they needed trueing more often, just that you needed to be a little more careful. One catastrophic crash on the cross bike I think. Other half is still running a set of 26s that I bought in 2011.

I have a mk3 on the front of the Solaris and it’s…. fine. Unremarkable other then being light tbh. Which I think is a bit of a win really. Might be worth noting I’m running it on a boosted hub so the spoke tensions are (deliberately) almost perfectly balanced, which might help.

My main concern on a gravel bike would be that you might rule out some of the tighter tyres like wtb as the bead is snugger.

windyg
    Free Member

I have MK1’s on my 650b, I’m just a bit lighter than the OP, they have been well used without any issues, i have MK3’s on a 29er and again no problems other than some wider tyres are a little harder to seat tubeless but fine once up.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

In summary –

Mk1 & 2 = ok

Mk3 = cracked spoke holes

slackalice
    Free Member

I’ve thrashed around the Passportes du Solei on a set of 650b Crests and as above, no one died nor did the wheels and they’re still going strong.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Was that the Mk 3s though?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

If you’re racing XC this year then get the Mk3’s but accept you’ll probably need to replace the rims after 12 months.

If you’re not racing get the Arches or DT XR391’s

slackalice
    Free Member

Was that the Mk 3s though?

Absolutely no idea, I got them new, in 2013 I think.

burt
    Free Member

Mk3 with cracked spoke holes, third pair this has happened to. Just going to keep using them until one pulls through this time though.

damascus
    Free Member

What tyre pressure do you run?

If you run low pressures avoid the crests as you will dink them.

I’d go arch personally unless you are racing, a weight weenie or don’t mind rebuilding a wheel.

jakd95
    Free Member

That’s a good point about using Stans rims with WTB tyres, I’ve found them the tightest and most awkward combos of any rims/tyres I’ve had (to the point of being almost unable to mount the tyres), and I think others have had the same experience. Both with Crest/Horizons and Flows/Rangers.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

My experience with Arch MK3’s wasn’t a good one.Similar to Burts-rear rim cracked as spokes all pulled through on driveside ,replaced/rebuilt under warranty,spokes all came loose shortly after,re tensioned…only to crack again like the first.Front rim lasted longer but went the same way.
    Stans may well of eradicated these weaknesses/faults by now…….
    I had both replaced(good riddance) with DT Swiss rims,no problems since.

spooked
    Free Member

Brilliant. Mine arrive today 🙁

100mph
    Free Member

I’m running crest on 28h novatec hubs and they are ace, lightweight wheels. Running tubeless with circa 30psi and still true after 18mths of weekly riding

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’ve gone for DT XR 361s in the end – I’m not racing, and really don’t want to be rebuilding them. Arches would have been a bit too wide for skinnier tyres I think. Thanks for all the input!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Stans Crest ok for XC?’ is closed to new replies.