Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Stans crest 29er help!!
  • tripleridingstyles
    Free Member

About to order my first 29er wheels, but can’t decide between Stans Crest or Mavic TN719’s.

(I’m a fairly light rider at 67kg, mainly doing long xc rides)

Do the Crests noticeably flex? I’d rather have a stiff wheel than a feather light bendy one! And are they a b**ch to get tyres on to?

Help please!

ssboggy

I’ve only noticed mine flex a couple of times when i’ve got them in a rut. As for tyres i’ve had no problems with Maxxis, and some used Panaracers but i have heard Scwalbe can be very tight

mbl1
    Free Member

I weigh 80kg plus kit and I noticed flex in the rear and needed a major true after 3 easy xc rides. I also get fed up with trying to get Maxxis tyres on the bloody things. They are now my spare wheels and I will probably sell them at some point.

xcneil
    Free Member

These wheels are my race wheelset I’ve done all national,mids xc plus a marathon on them this season and there still true no problems, same goes for schwalbe tyres I switch between racing ralph & rocket Ron set up tubless takes me around 10 mins with no problems, the key is to get the tyre seated down the middle of the rim oh I’m 76kg on a good day so not a “light” guy *supersmooth*;) forgot to say stans crest 29er

flatfish
    Free Member

Crests here, 90kg and i use them for bike packing too.
    Minor amount of flex felt.
    Easy to put tyres on too.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Crests here, 80kg and I’m not exactly a gentle rider.

Drops to 3ft, peaks rocky descents, loads of roots and some proper clumsy ass crashes. They’re as true and straight as they were back in October a few hundred km’s ago.

No noticeable flex either, they’re on a 100mm 29’er HT BTW

Oh yeah, Specialized 2bliss tyres are tight but go up with a track pump easily

DavidB
    Free Member

I am thinking of crests for a CX build, any comments on riding tubeless on road for extended periods..ie. what tyre?

jimification
    Free Member

I have 29er crests. Really rate them. They’re amazingly strong considering how much they weigh. I’m not sure I get your question though – People buy Crests because they’re light….if you want lightweight, get the Crests. If you’re not so bothered about weight and want a stiff wheel, get an Arch EX or something. It’s only going to be stiffer and stronger.

Yes, Crests can be a PITA with tyres as they are slightly larger than “standard”. However, as mentioned above, there is a bit of knack to it and it does get easier when you get used to them.

redfordrider
    Free Member

I’m 70kg and race XC/Marathon. Crest 29er are perfect for the job – light, not too wide and stiff enough for the job. Rocket Rons and Racing Ralphs fit without tyre levers and inflate easily with a track pump. You can’t go wrong.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Stans crest 29er help!!’ is closed to new replies.