Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stans arch ex rims and schwalbe Hans dampf problems.
  • graeme87
    Free Member

I have just went 650b and got pro2 on stans arch ex and bought 650b Hans dampf and I am seriously struggling to get them on the rim. Has anyone else had this problem?

mattjg
    Free Member

Went up fine on 29 version of the above, sorry that’s not much help.

What I would say though is I took them off as the shape was so light-bulby I concluded there was a viable risk of a burb – I think the tyre is too wide for the rim.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Fine on mine…And also on my Flow ex…

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Put a set of them on my 29er hope / crests – one went up no problem with a track pump & the other I tried to get up by putting a tube in & seating one side – but had to resort to a compressor!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Er no. Sorry 🙁

Slogo
    Free Member

Make sure the tyre been is seated in the grove/shallowest part of the rim. Use good tyre levers and someone that can hold the tyre so it doesn’t slip back up the rim. they will go on, it was tight for me too. Now i know how to do it its real easy and can almost do it without levers.

inferno57

I have the same set up and got someone to squeeze the bottom together and up into the grove as Slogo says, went on easy then.

scotroutes

And if you are running tubes, make sure you start opposite the valve, working both ways towards it.

bigrich

is it a UST dampf?

I have no experience of 650b though, as I’m not (that much of) a gullible consumer.

twohats
    Free Member

run Hans Dampfs Super Gravity and regular ones with no issues fitting or burping, even during alpine radcore sessions.

Brown
    Free Member

I thought there was occasionally an issue with Schwalbe tyres and Stans rims. I think the rims are a little larger than usual (to help convert standard tyres) and Schwalbe tyres are a little tighter than usual for the same reason. Usually it’s fine, but if you get one or other that’s at the limit of the manufacturing tolerances, you’ll struggle a bit.

My 26″ set was fine, not that it helps.

eranu
    Free Member

Watch this video, you’ll have them on in no time.

Northwind

Brown – Member

I thought there was occasionally an issue with Schwalbe tyres and Stans rims

There was a pretty big issue a couple of years back, Schwalbe made a stack of early TLR tyres that were out of spec (not just a Stans issue, mine wouldn’t go on an 819 either). The irony being that their old, non-TLR tyres worked perfectly. But that was before the Hans Dampf came out so shouldn’t still be an issue unless they’ve ****ed up again.

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

When you put the stans yellow tape on make sure it is REALLY pulled stretched tight so it sits completely down in the rim well, otherwise it makes it more difficult to get the tyres on (as you are slightly increasing the diameter of the rim).

Also put some neat washing up liquid on the tyre beads to reduce the friction with the rim, I found this helps.

Crank Brothers Speed levers are also useful.

waltonstreetcycles
    Free Member

We had a similar issue fitting hans dampfs to some 26″ Hope Hoops, these had Stans Crest rims and Evo Pro 2 hubs.

After spending ages we determined that the rim tape used was slightly too thick for the set up, we removed this and replaced it with some standard schwalbe tape.

Then, just like jonjonjon3 suggested, a bucket of warm soapy water helps to get the tyre on.

graeme87
    Free Member

Cheats everyone. Got them 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

Nothing makes me smile more than a Stans X rim with a Schwalbe X tyre thread.

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

I kewo saying it needs a sticky.

rickon
    Free Member

After spending ages we determined that the rim tape used was slightly too thick for the set up, we removed this and replaced it with some standard schwalbe tape.

Eh? So, you were using Stans tubeless rims, with Schwalbe tubeless ready tyres, and tubes? Why? That’s asking for trouble fitting tyres. They’re designed specifically for notubes, hence the name.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stans arch ex rims and schwalbe Hans dampf problems.’ is closed to new replies.