Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Stans Arch EX problems
  • bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Anyone else experienced tyre blow offs on Stans EX or Crest 29er rims?

This has happened on two occasions with different tyres and wheels in the last week, luckily whilst inflating. Both tyres let go at about 30psi despite having very tight beads and I’m wondering if its a consequence of the stupidly low rim height as several years use of Flows and old Arch rims has never yielded the same problem with the same tyres.

steve_b77
    Free Member

What tyres are you using? & Are you using Yellow tape or rim strips?

Stans no longer recommend the use of any Schwalbe tyres.

I’ve been using Specialized 2bliss tyres for 8 months and not had an issue on my 29’er Crests with Yellow tape, generally run betwen 24 & 29psi too.

Just switched to Mud-X’s (for Mayhem) and despite the fact I could get them on without tyre levers, they went up easily with a tack pump with a satisfying ping as the bead seated.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Stans no longer recommend the use of any Schwalbe tyres.

Never knew that 😯

Running yellow tape and tyres were Nobby Nic 2012 Snakeskin/Geax AKA TNT. May try the Spesh tyres as have had them in mind for a while, are the sidewalls beefy enough?

toons
    Free Member

Yes i’ve had that problem 2x on flow rims; once in the garage blowing up the tyre and once on the trail!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Does the schwalbe restriction just apply to the mk II rims or the old ones as well? Just considering a hd ust for my flow rims.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Just reading that it applies to all rims, they state it is a changing tyre issue. I have an HD/Flow combo too and it works flawlessly even without sealant (crosses fingers).

dirtyrider
    Free Member

how odd considering stan’s make schwalbe doc blue fluid

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bugga. Well, that’s the schwalbe Hans damph off the list. Heard lots of stories about rubber queens deforming. What’s left?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Think I’ll buy some tubes in the meantime, Stans’s guidance is not very confidence inspiring

ska-49
    Free Member

I using the 26” version with spec purgatory tyres and they’ve been amazing. Not had any issue despite riding some very rough stuff with low pressure. Not sure if the 29er is different..

seavers
    Free Member

Got a NN front and a RR rear on my flows and never had an issue. all 2011 kit. Had no idea Stans no longer recommend the use of any Schwalbe tyres.

been looking at the spesh option so might go that way when it’s time to change. But for now I’m not worried.

d45yth
    Free Member

Maxxis

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve been runnign 2.1″ Ground COntrol S-Works for 8 months and they’ve fine for everything I’ve thrown them down from Welsh rocks to Lee Quarry & local mud-fests.

The side walls are starting to wear quite a bit now, but the S-Works are thinner than the much tougher Control models.

pjm84
    Free Member

Blow off on a Geax AKA TNT? Something is not right. I run these tyres on my Arch 29s and they are so tight to get on that I had to use a G clamp.

The 25mm yellow tape on the Arch rim is a bit “tight” so I used a blade to trim the tape along the bead line to remove any “bridging”

dickie
    Free Member

Oh FFS, just fitted new 2012 26×2.25 NN’s TL to my Crossmax ST’s last night with sealent.
    Went on OK, & then OK on a round the block ride but it does say on various rims the issue has occurred.
    They came up narrow too! 52mm across compared to 56mm for 2.25 Rocket Rons on the wife’s ZTR Crest Rims. I have some X-Kings 2.2 Race Sport on Crest rims & there 54mm.

I had this problem about two years ago. Over a period of about 12 months I had three tyres blow off.
    Once when inflating from new, once after washing & bike drying in the sun, & once when the bike was at rest, again in the sun halfway round the Garburn Pass loop in the lakes.
    wrote to Schwalbe after hearing about similar stories & found out it effected a batch made in 2009 – all three replaced free of charge.

neninja
    Free Member

All Schwalbe tires are not recommended to be used tubeless.

Over the last two years, as Schwalbe has transitioned to offering most mountain bike tires in Tubeless Ready version, we have become aware of these tires blowing off rims unexpectedly. The phenomena is a bit unusual in that it often occurs at low pressure and may or may not break the tire bead. Rim make and model do not matter as we have received reports of, and witnessed tires blowing off of UST rims and several other brands of tubeless ready rims. Most Schwalbe tires perform without incident, but it is near impossible to identify a tire that may be problematic. For this reason we do not recommend using Schwalbe tires as tubeless.

So I read that as the older Evo tyres are fine but the new tubeless ready ones aren’t suitable for any Stans or UST rims which seems a bit severe.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Reason enough for me to steer clear I think. I normally play it cautious and use ust tyres on flow rims.

D0NK

new tubeless ready ones aren’t suitable for any Stans or UST rims which seems a bit severe

stan covering his arse? Bit wierd that a TR tyre is no good for tubeless (allegedly).

Onzadog
    Free Member

Why does he need to cover his arse? The whole thing started with him using other peoples products in a way they weren’t designed for.

soobalias
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

new tubeless ready ones aren’t suitable for any Stans or UST rims which seems a bit severe
    stan covering his arse? Bit wierd that a TR tyre is no good for tubeless (allegedly).

has anyone from Mavic or Schwalbe confirmed this?

verticalclimber
    Free Member

my kendas work fine on mine, also conti should be ok

coopersport1
    Free Member

I run Ralphs on Crests no problem. The issue I have had is they are tight and if you change tyres regularly, levering on and off the rim repeatedly the Schwalbe sidewall will stretch/deform and eventually it will no longer hold the rim. The 2 occasions this has happened to me have been on 2 well used tyres. Usually they have just randomly blown off the rim whilst in the garage not out on the trail.
    I think Stan is covering his arse just in case, although I don’t see why as the whole system is designed for use with non-specific tyres in mind

D0NK

Why does he need to cover his arse?

when stans first came out weren’t we warned off using panaracer tyres coz the bead was too loose? I guess if they have experience of something not working they’ll give you the headsup. public service rather than arse covering then? Plus of course, if loads of people have bad experiences with tubeless it kinda impacts on their business

D0NK

has anyone from Mavic or Schwalbe confirmed this?

I’d like to know too tho presumably unless the tyres are UST(tm) mavic will say “No of course they don’t work” (if they care enough to answer)

edit not saying mavic are heartless bastards but they have a proprietry system (licenced?) so I guess aren’t going to support or condone some half arsed “tubeless ready” tyre.

soobalias
    Free Member

agree DONK, do they have reservations about LUST tho?

(i dont expect an answer from MAVIC to be honest – mostly because im having the conversation here, not with the makers of my wheels)

Onzadog
    Free Member

So not just because they’re French then.

twohats
    Free Member

So, are Schwalbe tyres now compatible with Stans as there no mention of it on his site!?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I hope so as I just bought new arch ex rims and schwalbe tyres!

bigrich

schwalbe have a lot of batch to batch variability. this means some are fine, some are shizer. very un-teutonic, if you ask me.

Garry_Lager

neninja – Member

All Schwalbe tires are not recommended to be used tubeless.

Over the last two years, as Schwalbe has transitioned to offering most mountain bike tires in Tubeless Ready version, we have become aware of these tires blowing off rims unexpectedly. The phenomena is a bit unusual in that it often occurs at low pressure and may or may not break the tire bead. Rim make and model do not matter as we have received reports of, and witnessed tires blowing off of UST rims and several other brands of tubeless ready rims. Most Schwalbe tires perform without incident, but it is near impossible to identify a tire that may be problematic. For this reason we do not recommend using Schwalbe tires as tubeless.

So I read that as the older Evo tyres are fine but the new tubeless ready ones aren’t suitable for any Stans or UST rims which seems a bit severe. I appreciate this is an old thread an all – but what does that schwalbe quote mean? That a Schwalbe TLR shouldn’t be used tubeless? Surely not.
    Used loads of Schwalbe tyres tubeless over the years (mainly UST) and have experienced the tyre blow-off-for-no-reason once or twice. 1000s of miles nae bother though.

Well in that case…my next pair of tyres are going to be the new 2.3 Highroller 2’s.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well in that case…my next pair of tyres are going to be the new 2.3 Highroller 2’s.

Some Maxxis have been suffering with bubbling under the surface/in the surface when run tubeless. For a bit Maxxis said they would only honour warranty if used with the Joe’s Eco Sealant – not sure how far that got but that stuff is more expensive 🙁 just about given up bothering really and will just use whatever comes cheaper in a big bottle next time

bigrich

it’s the ammonia to keep the latex liquid that causes the problems, science fans.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I thought both those issues had now been resolved. The maxxis one was a constructionissue. Delamination allowed tthe sealant to get between layers rather than the sealant being the cause and that schwalbe statement is no longer on the stans site.

wallop

HDs on Flow EX here. No problems thus far.

Northwind

bigrich – Member

schwalbe have a lot of batch to batch variability. this means some are fine, some are shizer.

Aye, I got a TLR Schwalbe that wouldn’t bead onto my Flows or 819s even with a tube- got a nice easy refund though as it wasn’t the first the shop had seen it with. But then I’ve had others that were fine.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Blew a Maxxis Advantage of the rim when fitting the other day, but it was upto 50psi , the other fitted fine, tried again no problem , must of been someting I’d done , Flow EX rims, Advantage front and rear.

igm

They’re not that fashionable (Mud X excepted) but Bonty FR and XR ranges in TLR form work a treat with Stans. And work pretty well on the ground too.

wrecker
    Free Member

Dammit. Was going to try some HDs. Rubber queens it is then. Again.

vorlich
    Free Member

No probs with Hans Dampfs on my Flow 26

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Stans Arch EX problems’ is closed to new replies.