Stans Arch ex or Flow ex 650b

Home Forum Bike Forum Stans Arch ex or Flow ex 650b

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stans Arch ex or Flow ex 650b
  • Spice

Hi, I am looking at getting a new wheelset and can’t decide which is the best choice of arch ex or Flow ex 650b rims on Hope pro 2 for weight versus strength and so on. I ride natural stuff, trail centre and the odd uplift day at Antur Stiniog and bike Park Wales. I weigh 14.5 stone and last wheelset was 26 inch pro 2’s on 355 rim never had any issues with.

Anyone got real life weights of the wheelsets.

fozzybear

Flow.
    My Partner has flow on CK.
    ridden BPW and a few others and they are pretty tough.
    The build came loose once and no damage to the rim.

Premier Icon captaindanger
    Subscriber

I was fairly well sold on the wider rims after reading this

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday–Wider-Rims-Are-Better-and-Why-Tubeless-Tires-Burp-.html

Am happy with my decision so far

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

Tyre choice is a factor here. I’ve never ridden Flows but was unhappy with the profile of 2.35 Hans Dampfs on my 29er Arch Ex, it was much too light bulby and I wasn’t relaxed about burps, so I took them off. I am happy with the 2.30 Spesh Butcher Control I have now.

The Arch Ex were fine at BPW on a HT, I am 80 kg. Since I am happy with the bike I will likely buy a Flow 0r similar wheelset at some point, so I can run big rubber.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

good link Captain, it was that or similar that persuaded me to take the HDs off my Arch Ex.

interesting point about mitigating the rim weight by running a narrower tyre on a wider rim, too.

Premier Icon captaindanger
    Subscriber

Yeah I don’t think that is true actually, it depends on what tyre you are running, but they are fairly similar in mass terms.

Simple way to I see the benefit though, if you stand with your legs apart you are in a far more stable position than with your feet together, it’s the same principal with the tyre.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

for the record, in 29″:
    Crest 380gm
    ArchEx 460gm
    Flow 545gm

26″ Flow 490gm
    26″ ArchEx 400gm

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

Enve AM 29″, 444 gm, 24mm internal width (Flows quoted at 25.5)

Scamper

As a rough guide but on 26 inch, both on Pro 2 evo

Flow EX, one with super comp, another comp 1909g
    Arch EX, one with super comp, another comp 1723g

15stone fine on both – main difference was the rear flow didn’t feel as if it was pinching against the tyre on landing and the front flow could be leant over more

Spice

Thanks for the replies, thinking the flow sounds like the best choice

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stans Arch ex or Flow ex 650b’ is closed to new replies.