Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stanmer park – cycling through on a road bike
  • singletracksurfer

Does anyone know what the track is like out of the western side to the car park to Ditchling road – I heard it is loose gravel. Is it no good for a road ride group? Thanks.

Best alternative I assume is to go through Coldean and A270 cycle path.

JoB
    Free Member

it depends on your road group’s willingness to embrace a bit of dirt and gravel and how precious they are about their bikes 🙂 but it’s currently dry enough to ride a road bike through Stanmer Park, in fact i did it in a group just the other weekend

the other alternative is the tarmac road through the village and up to Upper Lodges

DrP

My local road group avoids roads that have been resurfaced in the past 3 months….

I’d check their preciousness first!

DrP

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

Not quite sure where you mean but if you’re looking at the climb from the village past the barns and up to the pylon it’s a fairly rough track with lots of loose flints.

As Jo says, the actual fireroads are currently as good as they get – you have to accept a bit of grass or a field crossing to reach most of them from the bottom of the valley though.

avdave2

There is a tarmaced road out to the car park at the bottom of Ditchling road. The only gravel really is in the car park at the top of the road. Ride through the village, past the cafe and toilets and there is then a gate on the left at the top. Go through that and follow that road up the hill till you come to the car park. You are now at the lower end of the road leading down from the beacon.The road is actually far better than many in the area!

singletracksurfer

It was the track from Upper Lodges (Ditchling road – car park) which goes past the north of the Nurseries/gardens and then bears right (south) past the tea rooms, to Stanmer house I was thinking of.

wwaswas

as above – bit of gravel through the car park, cattle grid at the bottom otherwise it’s tarmac.

there’s a nice bit of singletrack in the woods beside the road that follows it down if you’re feeling frisky 🙂

lardman
    Free Member

singletracksurfer – Member
    It was the track from Upper Lodges (Ditchling road) which goes past the north of the Nurseries/gardens and then bears right (south) past the tea rooms, to Stanmer house I was thinking of.

That would be fine on a road bike. It’s all tarmac, with maybe a little stone here and there. The upper lodges car park is the only place thats actually gravel/dirt and its about 5 meters across, so you’ll make it.

singletracksurfer

Brilliant, thanks Lardman, appreciate the help (and knowledge I won’t get lynched) 🙂

lardman
    Free Member

and knowledge I won’t get lynched

Cant guarantee that……. Might be some of those pikey types in Stanmer ATM. The weather has cheered up, so it should be right about now the Park get’s over run with nasty unwashed traveller types.

5lab

The only thing I’d add is that if you’re using it as a descent, there are several speedbumps which are easily vicious enough to dismount someone who’s taking a reasonable speed down the road, and they’re often not visible from very fat away

singletracksurfer

Noted. Thanks for the warning.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stanmer park – cycling through on a road bike’ is closed to new replies.