Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Standard of driving tonight was awful
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Went for a road ride, we experienced

Multiple over take of blind bends
    Multiple overtakes on blind hills
    An idiot who overtook us and nearly hit a horse coming the opposite way
    A daft bit who overtook the tail of the group only to force her way into the middle of the group only to turn left a few hundred yards up the road

And to top it all towards the end of the ride we stumbled across a fatal accident – arrow straight road, 40mph limit, the car had veered off course, hit a lamppost. Sadly the woman driving died.

Can’t everyone just slow down and be sensible?

DezB
    Free Member

I couldn’t believe how bad the driving was today. Actually worse than normal. I was in my car, surrounded by utter morons.
    Golf in the middle lane of the motorway, 65, no lane changes, I was on the inside lane, caught up. Woman driving was just blabbering to her passenger, oblivious.
    Many more. Does my nut in.

mrchrispy

At least the muppet that hit the lamp post didn’t take anyone else out.
    Zero shits i give

Drac

At least the muppet that hit the lamp post didn’t take anyone else out.
    Zero shits i give

Maybe they died at the wheel and then veered off the road.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

What a lovely sentiment , how do you even know it was her fault . Wonder if you would be so hard hearted if it was somebody you knew .

brooess
    Free Member

We found a woman pretty much parked in the hedge on our club run on Sunday – someone had just overtaken us on a blind bend and she’d had to take avoiding action.
    She was looking rather shocked.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Maybe they died at the wheel and then veered off the road.

Seems that is probably the case 😥

Drac

Poor bugger!

northernmatt

Got diverted on the way home tonight after a car tried to overtake another car into the path of an oncoming bus. The bus took avoiding action and crashed into a house. Turns out it was stolen and the 3 lads in have done a runner.

Shred
    Free Member

On Saturday I had a car overtake me, only to have to slam on brakes due to parked cars and oncoming traffic in the lane. He had the benefit of abs, where I suddenly had a back of a 1 series suddenly in front of me. Luckily there was a gap between him and the parked car. I stopped by his front wheel.

Tonight I had a coast guard Land Rover defender pull out I to the road. He saw me coming, but obviously decided that a bike can’t be going that quickly. I was stuck behind him as he trundled down the road for about 3 miles.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just a knobbish thing to say. Someone’s dead you tool!

stealthcat

I was wondering on the ride home whether I’d missed the announcement that today was “National Overtake on Blind Corners Day”. My commute has quite a few blind corners and blind crests where I expect people to pull stupid overtakes, but today’s score was almost a full house; 3 very near misses where the drivers almost went head on into another car, and about another 4 that were just in stupid places – blind corners or crests – but with just enough room to pull back in before the oncoming car needed that bit of road. The strange thing was that only a couple of drivers didn’t give me enough room – most were overtaking with lots of space, but failing to realise that there might be cars coming the other way…

nickdavies

Had a couple this evening, biscuit taken by some plonker who came up behind me whilst i was going through a narrow 20mph zone with cars down one side, and enough room for 1 car to get down.

So I sat in the middle of the road (at about 25kph which is about as fast as i’d want to go in a car down there) to save being shoved into the kerb, and instead of waiting for the 50 metres down the road to safely overtake the bloke got on the horn and then when I let him pass where it was safe chucked in a punishment pass for good measure. Then the bloke in front of me got another handful for stopping at a roundabout.

Bearing in mind this is 7pm in Birmingham, his efforts rewarded him with a queue of cars at the next junction where I rolled past. I really don’t get it…

cheers_drive

Having just spent a week in China I can now appreciate how good the driving in the UK actually is. Not just a few idiots but every single driver, I guess they all expect each other to do something stupid otherwise I would have seen even more smash ups.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Entered a Primary school 20mph zone the other day and cockwomble behind decides that 20 in a 20 is too slow and starts leaning on the horn.. then decides it would be best to overtake me whilst going over a big rubber speed bump thing and literally skimmed me as he pulled in. Less than a 100m later he turns left.

Trekster

Not had many bike incidents recently but a near miss in the car earlier today when a driver cut across me at a set of traffic lights only to find their exit blocked by the car that had been in front of having turned left and finding the road blocked by traffic due to nearby building works 🙄
    Travelled the A75 a couple of times recently to/from Carlisle and awaiting a major incident on the new section of road which has a couple of dual carriageway sections which narrow to single lane before a right hand exit lane. Seen some daft overtaking at this point!!
    The work is supposed to improve safety after many accidents 🙄
    http://www.itv.com/news/border/topic/a75/?page=4

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

edited, not appropriate if there was a fatality

jools182
    Free Member

Some sanctimonious comments here

How do you know the circumstances that led to the unfortunate women’s death?

I agree the standards of driving are truly terrible, and some days you seem to cross paths with nothing but bad drivers

What annoys me more than anything is people who don’t pay attention

I was behind a golf on my way to work. 30 zone, then a turn off on to a 40 zone. The golf driver decided that 20 was fine on both roads. What was also fine was fishing around on the passenger seat and footwell every minute or so, whilst veering all over the road. Complete disregard for any other road users and any road signs. Also braking heavily for cars passing in the other direction, small puddles etc

I was very glad I wasn’t on a bike while she passed

cookeaa

Odd down here in Berkshire it seemed a bit more tasty on the road going home, I thought maybe the nicer weather and or lower sun might be a factor.

Every six months or so innit, spring into summer, autumn into winter, that’s when driving standards seem to take a dip… But why exactly?

cbike
    Free Member

ratedriver.co.uk – dunno if it actually helps in any way but it helps to vent!

globalti
    Free Member

Commuting times are the worst.

mrchrispy

okay late in revisiting this and yes I agree that without knowing the details it was a rather knobbish thing to say, for that I apologise.

(however if it was due to driving like a knobber then the number of shits I give remains zero)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Standard of driving tonight was awful’ is closed to new replies.