Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Standalone bike insurance a thing?
  • kayak23

Recently moved in with the girlfriend. She owns her house so I’m effectively a tenant.

The house is small and no garage so I got an Asgard for the yard, into which I want to put my bikes.

Trouble is, her house insurance don’t do expensive bikes and she’s worried about penalties for stopping it before it expires and wotnot.

As far as I can tell, you can’t just insure the bikes..it needs to be part of a building and contents policy. Is that right?

Or is there anyone that’ll just insure my bikes in my shed only?

tomhoward

Loads of companies do it. Google ‘cycle insurance’ E&L are one I remember, but never used. Protect your bubble do it too

Tends to be a lot more expensive than adding them to a (different to what your mrs has) house insurance policy.

kayak23

Ah right.

I thought it wasn’t a thing. It certainly costs more than adding on though I’d say.

Is there any issue with other insurance policies overlapping and causing claim issues with a standalone policy?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jordan

Have a look here. Cycling UK I have been checking em out for foreign cover which I am not sure about yet but their home cover seems fine.

Flaperon

Got mine from Yellow Jersey. It’s not cheap, but it covers the bike for accidental damage, and when it’s in a communal area or the car.

bails

Speak to pedal cover. If you end up cancelling the existing policy to move to a new one it should still be cheaper than paying for standalone bike cover.

nickdavies

I used bikmo when I was in a similar situation for a bit. Most certainly more expensive than adding on or paying for a new policy and cancellation fees. Iirc it was £25-30 a month for the bikmo policy.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Got m ine insured with Barclays standalone . Ridiculously cheap. Premium is around 0.6% per year which is stupidly cheap.

kayak23

I’ve gone with someone called Cycleplan. It was a shade under 20 notes a month. Still, gives me a little peace of mind. Surprised that none of the quotes asked about Asgard sheds or anything though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Standalone bike insurance a thing?’ is closed to new replies.