Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • Stand by for whining religious apologists.
  • Cougar

You really are the sort of chap who would stand on a hill in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting “all gods are bastards!”, aren’t you?

(-:

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Free Member

In fact, all the debate threads will have to go, we can’t risk anyone being offended now can we.

I find that suggestion offensive 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh please, not that old chestnut. What would you have us do instead? Would you seriously prefer censorship over freedom of discussion?

Not at all, as I have said before. I think it’s all quite funny especially mrW’s imagination and his stamina is equally impressive. Just don’t see the need to keep justifying it (I was ribbing a bit there tbh) – you do clearly tolerate religion bashing more than other types of bashing but so be it, this is your baby…for those who get offended just ignore the thread, don’t get drawn in.

Censorship would rob us of lots of entertainment.

Cougar

I don’t “tolerate religion bashing,” rather I don’t believe that it deserves special exemption from debate. It’s as open to discussion as any other topic is. And that’s a good thing.

I couldn’t comment on the other mods’ views, or the views of the owners. In all honesty, I don’t think it’s something we’ve ever discussed. If it looks like “we” do something, it’s largely coincidence.

Censorship would rob us of lots of entertainment.

If you’ll pardon the phrase, amen to that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you do clearly tolerate religion bashing more than other types of bashing

why not start a thread on speaker cables, homeopathy, conspiracy stuff etc and see what happens then.

If there is a bias, there probably is, then, it is to being rational nd having evidence based views [ does not apply to bikes of course] and religion falls at that hurdle.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If you’ll pardon the phrase, amen to that.

😀 well put

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it is to being rational nd having evidence based views [ does not apply to bikes of course] and religion falls at that hurdle.

The religion bashers fell at the first hurdle on this thread, despite several posters asking for evidence of creationism being taught in science classes in state schools none was forthcoming. Obviously this lack of evidence didn’t put the ranters off 🙂

Mr Woppit – Member

The merest hint of a suggestion of any such a thought had not even BEGUN to contemplate crossing even the extreme outer edge of what passes for my mind, mol.

Go on then Woppit, explain who precisely these “whining religious apologists” are ? Who did you have in mind when you wrote this thread’s title ?

Tell us what occurs on the extreme outer edge of your mind.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t feed the troll, Ernest. Also, don’t get them wet.

Or is that gremlins?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not followed the thread at all ernie …i may just have had my fill of them 😉

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Cougar.

How many people of faith raise their heads above the parapet to join in the discussion….? Sadly not many… I wondered why that might be? Which surely makes your discussion not as rich as it could be.

But of course it’s not “your” discussion is it? You allow woppit to set the tone time and again, and as such all you get is those offended on my behalf going around in circles with the bashers…. Vdull…. Even Junky say so… and we know how much he likes to go on …? 😀

Ernie

Please take CFH advice…. and really Woppit is nowhere near your high standard of STW chat/discussion/one upmanship… you could have him for breakfast.

GrahamS

despite several posters asking for evidence of creationism being taught in science classes in state schools none was forthcoming*.

* Assuming you refused to watch the videos posted or read the links, shut your eyes really tight and went “La la la la I can’t hear you”. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Even Junky say so… and we know how much he likes to go on

I have finally become an SI unit 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…shut your eyes really tight and went “La la la la I can’t hear you”.

Go on then, post the credible links Graham, copy and paste the words which clearly say that creationism has been taught in science classes in state schools. And no I’m not watching any videos, as I have previously said if there is overwhelming evidence it won’t be necessary to watch a video.

To be honest I did suspect that there might be a few isolated cases and I was more concerned with how big the problem might be, which is why I originally asked : “So how many schools and where are they then ? And how come the majority of faith schools don’t teach creationism in science classes in place of evolution ?”

I didn’t believe that it could be a widespread problem across state funded faith schools, contrary the tone which some on this thread seemed to suggest. So you can imagine my surprise when the lack of any evidence, even after several pages, appeared to make it clear that it isn’t a problem at all, at least not in the UK. It isn’t even a small problem.

Of course if you’ve got evidence to suggest otherwise you can still post it Graham, instead of making rather childish taunting comments 💡 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I have finally become an SI unit

Yep

One Junky is a hundred bores

🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

You really are going for the badge today graham 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think Graham is busy collating the evidence JY.

He might be a while.

Spin
    Free Member

Go on then, post the credible links Graham, copy and paste the words which clearly say that creationism has been taught in science classes in state schools

I teach in Scotland and other than a few nut jobs I’ve never heard of creationism being taught as science. It’s a total non issue.

Hurrah for us!

surfer
    Free Member

I teach in Scotland and other than a few nut jobs I’ve never heard of creationism being taught as science. It’s a total non issue.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you are aware of some teachers teaching creationism? If so it is not a “non issue” is it?
    The fact that you consider them “nutjobs” is neither here nor there.

leffeboy

How many people of faith raise their heads above the parapet to join in the discussion….? Sadly not many… I wondered why that might be?

I think it’s because this thread was largely a troll (or at least the title was) and it’s all been pretty much said on this particular topic before.

nealglover
    Free Member

despite several posters asking for evidence of creationism being taught in science classes in state schools none was forthcoming*.

[quote]
    * Assuming you refused to watch the videos posted or read the links, shut your eyes really tight and went “La la la la I can’t hear you”. [/quote]

I watched the videos on the first page.

One of them showed no evidence of creationism being taught as scientific fact in state schools ?

And the other was a Mitchell & Webb sketch.

Have a missed a video somewhere ?

Spin
    Free Member

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you are aware of some teachers teaching creationism? If so it is not a “non issue” is it?
    The fact that you consider them “nutjobs” is neither here nor there

I’ll re-phrase then: apart from a few people doing their own thing without the school’s knowledge. In the few cases I’ve heard of they recieved some form of sanction for it. A couple of loose canons does not a problem make.

GrahamS

Ho hum… I don’t really see the point ernie as you’ll just shift the goalposts once again when it becomes clear your position might be challenged.

You opened this with denying that any schools taught creationism.
    (which the video and links disproved)

Then shifted to saying wasn’t a majority (something which no one had claimed).

Then shifted to claiming it was only independent schools with no state funding.

Then you claimed it wasn’t “a significant problem with state funded faith schools”

Then you changed tact to saying that despite the new rules and new clauses, nothing had actually changed.

Then finally you welcomed the new rules saying “Personally I’m glad that the situation has been clarified and that everyone now knows that creationism cannot be taught in science classes in state funded schools in the UK.”

Now you’re claiming that “several posters” (i.e. you) asked for evidence that creationism was taught in state schools and none was given – but before the pixels were dry on that statement you’d already nicely caged it by saying “there might be a few isolated cases… I didn’t believe that it could be a widespread problem across state funded faith schools”

Well no one claimed it was “widespread problem” and I’m really not going to waste my time looking for further evidence of those isolated cases. I’m sure there are a few out there and the British Humanist Association would be a good place to start, since they were the ones campaigning for these changes. So if it interests you that much, feel free to find it yourself. I’m away for my tea and some light prayer…

..I mean ale.

nealglover
    Free Member

I obviously missed nothing in the videos then ?

And I didn’t even need to stick my fingers in my ears and sing “la la la” to miss the evidence.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

I’m sure there are a few out there

Well that’s convincing……..how can I argue with that !

There has been no ‘moving of the goalposts’ by me, this thread was only ever about an announcement made by the government concerning state funded schools which Woppit brought to our attention.

It was you however who tried to move the goalposts when it became embarrassingly apparent that you couldn’t find any evidence of creationism being taught in science classes in state schools, so you decided change the subject and talk about private schools instead, which had nothing to do with the announcement made by the government. You might as well have talked about schools in the US – it equally had nothing to do with Woppit’s OP.

And yes I did think when I first asked how many schools were involved and where were, that I might be given one or two isolated examples of schools run by perhaps some obscure christian fundamentalists who had somehow managed to secure a bit of state funding.

I wasn’t aware of any examples but I was prepared to be surprised. What I was absolutely certain of was that the overwhelming majority of faith schools, which are either catholic or anglican, did not teach creationism in science classes.

How is this me “moving the goalposts” ?

But anyhow, let’s place the goalposts firmly and securely : have you got any evidence that creationism is taught in science classes in state funded schools ? You’ve had since yesterday to find some.

Or is “I’m sure there are a few out there” the best I’m going to get ? 🙂

GrahamS

Well that’s convincing……..how can I argue with that !

Good, I’m glad I finally convinced you. 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Stand by for whining religious apologists.’ is closed to new replies.