Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stand alone VoIP phones
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

I know very little about this so throwing it out to those that do. I’m wanting to replace out landline with a VoIP phone that doesn’t needed to be plugged into a PC to work. Is this possible for home/office use and if so how?
    I use Virgin Media cable 150mb broadband if this relevant.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

Not sure what you want to achieve as you can’t get rid of your landline as your internet comes down it.

If you mean SIP based Voip then you’ll need a service like Voip phone servicesto connect your voip phone to. Then just pick a sip voip phone like Voip Phone.

It’s possibly cheaper to get a Skype phone and sign up to their service to provide you with a real world number etc. Skype phone
    I used to use a similar Skype phone and service to provide the business number and keep the landline for home use. The one phone handled both.

Cougar

Not sure what you want to achieve as you can’t get rid of your landline as your internet comes down it.

Unless it’s Virgin cable, no?

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

Virgin media. Phone + Broadband = £34.49/month (after the offer)

Broadband on it’s own = £30.25/month

a saving of £4.24

But then you have to buy a phone service, be it a Voip account or a Skype account. So my point is, if it’s a money saving scheme you might not achieve it. Unless Skype’s call charges are cheaper.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Our Phone line rental on Virgin Media is £16.99 pm. Enquired about dropping the landline last time we renewed the contract and it wasn’t tied to the broadband services. We never use the land line except for the wife speaking to her mother and vice versa. Mother in law is the problem and won’t phone mobile numbers otherwise we could just kick into touch altogether.

Cougar

Mother in law is the problem and won’t phone mobile numbers otherwise we could just kick into touch altogether.

A plan with no drawbacks.

In seriousness, if you got rid of the land line she’d have to ring the mobile or do without. If she’s that adverse and you’ve really only got a landline for her benefit, ask her to pay for it.

Cougar

Which is a point, OP. Why do you need a tethered line at all, VoIP or otherwise? Can you not just use your mobile?

craigxxl
    Free Member

I had made the suggestion of dropping the landline last time and the mother in law would then have to phone her on the mobile but it went down like a lead balloon.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Yes but as others have said you’d require a SIP provider to be able to make calls.

Plenty mobile apps where you can ‘buy/rent’ a virtual landline number which comes straight into your phone so the outlaw could still ring at same cost. (Tringu would be default for this)

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just bear in mind that it won’t work if you have a power cut or your internet has gone bandy.

Direct Exchange Lines (what your phone is on at the moment) are very reliable and work even if you’re house has no power. Having said that, everyone has a mobile, so it’s not such a disaster these days.

VoIP itself is pretty mature now (been using at work for a long time now) and it does have advantages due to it being in the data world and therefore is portable. In theory, you could take you home phone number anywhere you can get a data connection.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I have a skype number for incoming calls from the office so I don’t need to give them my home number. It’s £40 a year but you can choose what area code you want it to have, the MIL won’t know it’s not a real landline and it won’t cost her any more for calls.

annebr
    Free Member

How about just getting your phone number redirected to your mobile?

Mother rings landline number but you answer your mobile?

Quick google -> https://www.virtuallandline.co.uk/

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Direct Exchange Lines (what your phone is on at the moment) are very reliable and work even if you’re house has no power

I believed this for ages before I realised we only had cordless phones! (That’s right kids, phones had wires to attach them to the wall once upon a time..) 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

We have voip phones in work, there okay up to a point – that point being when the IP address changes, then they stop working.

Cougar

How about just getting your phone number redirected to your mobile?

Mother rings landline number but you answer your mobile?

I once tried that with personal mobile redirecting to work. Turns out that it’s billed as a separate call, so I received a hefty bill for other people’s phone calls.

Cougar

I had made the suggestion of dropping the landline last time and the mother in law would then have to phone her on the mobile but it went down like a lead balloon.

What’s the problem, anyway? IIRC, both BT and Sky do free evening / weekend calls to landlines and mobiles as their basic package. Does she think she’s being billed like it’s 1999? Christ, if it comes to that tell her to ring once and hang up and you’ll call her back.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Does she think she’s being billed like it’s 1999?

This is the problem that mobiles are expensive to call and no matter what you say she won’t budge on that.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I have a MIL like that^

I blame the Daily Wail

P-Jay, suggest whoever sets your phones up doesn’t really know what they are doing. Properly configured VLANs and DHCP is the way to go

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I use a siemens gigaset n300aip with 2 dect phones. I connect to 2 sipgate accounts and also a bt land line on one handset. The other is configured to ring for one sip account and the land line. It works really well.

Stoner
    Free Member

we got rid of our landline phone nearly 10yrs.

Just mobiles to receive, and if I need to do a make a long call/conference call/overseas I use Skype or Google Hangout from the computer headset for 1p a minute.

And if I had a M-in-L like that, Id probably undo my flies and check I hadnt left my bollocks on the bedside table and then tell her what I plan on doing in MY house.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stand alone VoIP phones’ is closed to new replies.