Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stanage question ( + observation)
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

First off, the path along the top of Stanage is just amazing. Really good rockhopping and gnadgery tech, absolutely loved it. Wish they would do a Froggat/Curbar and make it legal.

Q:
    Is there any decent descent from that general area to the valley floor?

We started down the permissive bridleway from Stanage Bogs down past North Lee’s campsite, but it goes tarmac pretty quickly and then it’s just a long wasteful road ride back down. Given that the Causeway is now completely rideable up ( last time ~15 years ago it was grapefruit sized rocks all the way up) and the plantation descent is so amazingly brilliantly good, I’d like to link it onto more routes there, but want to find something better to lose all the height back to Bamford or Hathersage.

Any ideas?

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve never found one. There are footpaths but none are really that exciting IME. Best I can suggest is a series of cheeky paths down into Nether Padley then spin along the flat into Hathersage. Or the other way along Stanage top all the way to the A57 and then find a way down to Ladybower.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

the other way along Stanage top all the way to the A57 and then find a way down to Ladybower.

Good point. Has the added advantage that it should be quieter that end. Will look at the map

tuboflard

I’d be gobsmacked if they make the path along the top of Stanage permissive. Not in my lifetime at least.

There’s a broken road down from Coggers Lane to Bamford filters which used to be kind of fun but not ridden it in a long time so can’t say what state it’s in now.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Not that I’ve found either.

Coggers Lane/Hurstclough Lane used to be a decent (albeit wet) descent, but has now been tarmaced by DC****ingC and is now lethal – steep, wet off camber tarmac covered in leaf mulch. Joy.

Bamford Clough has also just been tarmaced too (also DCC’s work, like the wanton destruction of Stanage causeway itself).

…as for making Stanage top a permissive bridleway. Not a ****ing hope. Midweek, dry weather, solo, cheek is where it’s at for that one.

Superficial
    Free Member

The top of Stanage is very different from even next-door Burbage. Big boulders and peat bog in between. It’s very sloppy so if you believe MTB is a problem in terms of erosion, Stanage is far worse than Burbage/White edge/ Froggat etc. It’s also often packed with walkers and climbers. Plus as you’ve discovered, it’s actually pretty hard to ride and a lot of riders would struggle.

The status quo is fine IMO.

Bamford Clough has also just been tarmaced too (also DCC’s work, like the wanton destruction of Stanage causeway itself).

Argh that’s really annoying. I saw they were doing work but didn’t realise they were gonna ruin it. Still, it might work as an uphill drag? It’s nice and, errr, direct!

I don’t mind the fact they’ve done the causeway, it works well for the gravel bike.

tuboflard

Coggers Lane/Hurstclough Lane used to be a decent (albeit wet) descent, but has now been tarmaced by DC****ingC

Thanks @JonEdwards, will mentally remove it from my list of places to revisit then.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stanage question ( + observation)’ is closed to new replies.