Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stamp collections: how to dispose of 'em.
  • Moses

When I were a lad, before the days of BMXs & computers, I collected stamps.
    I’ve got a huge collection from the 1960s which is of no interest or use to me now.

What’s the best way to get rid of the collection, & hopefully get some money too?

Underhill
    Free Member

Post a lot of begging letters?

edlong
    Free Member

eBay?

singletracked
    Free Member

send them to me

avdave2

I’ll be interested to hear peoples comments, I’ve got a small suitcase full of stamps that my grandad collected.

footflaps
    DezB
    Free Member

I bet footflaps’ link doesn’t work…

DrP

A huge stamp collection from the 1960s? – to beat that will take a bit of licking…

DrP

mudshark
    Free Member

My Grandad built up a collection when he retired as he was into them as a kid. Unfortunately this was in the 80s when prices rose then crashed, he tried to sell them but was only offered face value of decimal ones. So I have them now waiting for the day when they might be worth something once again.

OP – I have heard that people at local stamp collecting clubs are often interested in buying so see if there’s one near you.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Get a million of them and you can have a Ford Fiesta 950 popular.

Yes children, back in the old days people used to get stamps when they bought things from shops, and they used to stick thos stamps into books, and use the filled books to buy goods.

Cougar

Green Shield Stamps. I remember my grandparents collecting those.

singletracked
    Free Member

Gosh! That sounds like they were being rewarded for their loyalty. If only we had some sort of electronic card device to allow that today.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And the Co-op used to do blue ones.

the-muffin-man

Get in touch with this fella (Roger West), he may be interested if they have some value…

http://www.avionstamps.com/

Cougar

Sorry for the tangent, but I didn’t realise this and thought it was interesting,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Shield_Stamps

Green Shield Stamp catalogue shops began to offer part stamp redemption and part cash, for the goods in their catalogue. The proportion of cash accepted was slowly increased until the goods could be purchased, outright, without the need for any stamps. With this groundwork laid, the catalogue stores, warehouses and vehicle fleet were re-branded Argos in July 1973.

DezB
    Free Member

There is an EBAY category for stamps.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I have a mate who had a business buying, splitting and ebaying collections. Must be worth a shot at ebay

Rubber_Buccaneer

Urgh, I have just remembered the taste of the glue from licking and sticking greenshield stamps in the books as a kid 🙁

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stamp collections: how to dispose of 'em.’ is closed to new replies.