• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by bol.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Stamford Hill London
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Its a shame that other thread got closed as I used to live in Stamford Hill (between 1997 and 2002) and had some very colourful experiences during that time. Living among the orthodox Jewish community was fascinating. The young boys living in the school behind where I lived certainly knew how to whip up a party! There wasn’t any ‘integration’ every community lived separately but harmoniously. There was even a synagogue next door to a mosque just off the high street.

Oh and Volvos everywhere. The absence of big German cars really doesn’t need explaining does it? I used to think it would be very lucrative to open a Volvo service centre there (as opposed to a dealership because those things ran for decades).

There was one branch of Hassidic Judaism that also saw the state of Israel as blasphemy on account that God expelled the Jews from Israel and therefore only God could send them back to the promised land. You used to see posters abou it around the place.

boblo
    Free Member

I smell the smell of the ban hammer coming…..

geetee1972
    Free Member

Why? It was a wonderful place to live. I haven’t got anything bad or negative to say. Just wanted recall fond times.

boblo
    Free Member

Or, are trying to continue a thread that was deemed ‘unsuitable’ and closed by the mods?

Kryton57

Trollin’….

geetee1972
    Free Member

No really, I loved living there. I bought my first house, well OK a flat, in Stamford Hill. I also used to live as a lodger in Osbaldeston Road, that’s OSB ALD EST ON; I have really fond memories of being 20 something and living in London, I really was just reminiscing.

I loved it and loved living among the Hassids. You felt safe. They were a bit odd but then who isn’t.

bol

We lived in Holmleigh Road for a bit in the late 90s. I think your summary is spot on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Stamford Hill London’ is closed to new replies.