• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stakes Pass- loop our out and back?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve had a crack at Rossett Pike before but now want to do Stakes Pass as MBR and some mates of mine have been raving about it.

I’m hoping to do it on the way to Scotland as part of 9 days of riding and it will be our first day. We’d prefer a slightly less strenuous day in the mountains to get going and so I’m trying to decide whether to man up and do the loop (if so is clockwise or anticlockwise recommended) or out and back.

We have a lot of big days on the bike after this so would prefer the easier option, but if they are equally hard we will just aim for the loop.

The only thread I can find on here is from 5 years ago and says that the pass is unrideable rocky megadeath.

Thanks

lowey

Stake pass is hardly megadeath.

I much prefer it up from Langstrath and descend into Mickleden, more technical. The Langstrath side has had a lot of work done and aside from some tight hairpins I would say it would be pretty dull as a descent.

You could do it as an out and back from either Rosthwaite or Dungeon Ghyll, but I wouldnt say its worth it on its own.

boxelder

What Lowey said – kitty litter zig zags as a descent to Langstrath, so go Langstrath to Langdale.
    Not sure what loop you mean but return up Easdale and down footpath to Langstrath do-able with a lot of footwork

scruff
    Free Member

I did a loop from an old mag or something a year ago, clockwise from langdale, over stakes, N along langstrath BW which was 50% pushing along, then portage over grenup edge and 25 push down to Grasmere. Id never do it again and wouldnt suggest it to anyone.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The loop I have in mind is Stakes Pass/Langstrath/Rosthwaite/Seathwaite/Rossett Pike or vice versa (which sounds better).

Or we may do a shorter loop with some cheeky in the middle.

fergal
    Free Member

Haven’t done it, but plan on doing it this summer, last of the Lakeland passes for me. I think the consensus is anticlockwise, then you get to do the brill descent from Esk hause to seathwaite.

benman
    Free Member

Planning on doing it this weekend clockwise – Rossett Pike, Styhead, Seathwaite, Langstrath, Stake Pass.

fergal
    Free Member

oops meant clockwise!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Done it clockwise (up Rossett, down Stake) in December but all the hike-a-bike way up Rossett I was thinking “This is the wrong way around!”.
    But once past that, down Styhead is good, as is down Stake. Neither are overly technical, just rocky/steppy.
    Rossett on the other hand… I still really fancy a crack at that as a descent.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Fergal- are you sure?

Ecky- after the first bit it’s actually a pretty dull descent, it’s had too much work done on it.

lowey

Ecky- after the first bit it’s actually a pretty dull descent, it’s had too much work done on it.

Seriously ?

Rosset Descent is a walk for the majority of its distance for me. If you think that Rosset is dull, I wouldnt bother with Stake… you’ll be bored shitless.

deets

I came over Stake Pass from Langstrath side this January. A few thoughts and pictures on my blog

D0NK

Did the clockwise loop a couple weeks ago was fun-ish, sprinkling and styhead tarn descent is brilliant, stake pass is good too, bit too faffy at the top for me tho.

Anti clockwise don’t think I’d bother, stakes as a descent looks a bit daft, silky smooth and stupidly tight hairpins. rossett tho?

Rossett on the other hand… I still really fancy a crack at that as a descent.

been on my to do list for a while, after carrying up it and seeing it…it’s now been scrubbed off, looks stupidly, not actually doable by anyone except trials riders, technical for the top section, pitched section looks doable but stone pitching can get a bit boring after a while.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stakes Pass- loop our out and back?’ is closed to new replies.