• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jim.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stainless steel bearings, are they worth it ?
  • blastit
    Free Member

As title really, anyone use these and are they worth the extra cost?
    When I have changed my bearings its corrosion that seems to be the problem.
    With winter on the way will these last longer and maybe be able to regrease and use again.
    Si

JoeNation
    Free Member

Worth it compared to…?

Ceramic bearings are pointlessly expensive, and anything else (if there even is anything else) is rubbish and shouldn't be available from anywhere but Halfords.

blastit
    Free Member

normal ones

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sv

Yes worth it. simply bearings have a good selection & delivery.

Offroading
    Free Member

Stainless steel is softer than normal steel.

So they may not rust this time but they may wear out quicker. The best option if you ask me is ceramic hybrids – ceramic balls in Steel cages. You can even get ones which have a special coating which prevents the steel corroding. Bit expensive though.

Alternatively if you dont mind stumping up £80 per bearing full ceramics are an option.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Stainless steel is softer than normal steel

since when ? Doesn't it blunt normal cutting tools ?

Offroading
    Free Member

Since it was invented i pressume.

Rockwell hardness:

Ceramic Ball (SI3N4) 75-85 Hardness
    Stainless Race 58-60 Hardness
    Steel Race 62-64 Hardness

2-6 point difference might not seem much but it means about a 20% difference in bearing life.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stainless-steel-cartridge-bearings-do-they-last-longer

stainless steel is ductile and work hardens considerably which is what knackers cutting tools.

normal steel? well of the thousands of different steels I guess you must mean EN1 mild steel, you'll soon know if some part of your bike is made from this…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If corrosion is your problem and you don't want to pay for a ceramic bearing, then stainless is the way to go. Its good enough for chris king and plenty of others.

Alternatively, up your re-greasing regime. That depends on many factors of course, not in the least the ease of re-greasing.

pondering-panda
    Free Member

Keep in mind that cheap ceramic bearings are not worth it IMO. You generally get what you pay for.

jim
    Free Member

2-6 point difference might not seem much but it means about a 20% difference in bearing life.

Bearing life due to wear? I think the bearings in an external bb (which I assume we're talking about here) will generally fail due to corrosion a long time before wear comes into play.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stainless steel bearings, are they worth it ?’ is closed to new replies.