Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Stainburn,DH Dood's…….
  • Blower
    Free Member

Went again yesterday,everytime i go i see geezers there on full on DH bikes and gear…
    Is there some downhills there or am i missing somet?
    thought it was xc,red,black,over the road malarky, cant seem to find any downhills to warrant them big bikes..

matthew_h
    Free Member

Maybe they can only afford one bike and have chosen a DH bike as that is their main discipline.

Not everyone has the facility or the desire to have a specific bike for every different conceivable ride or location.

Blower
    Free Member

hmm maybe…
    they all have fancy cars though,

matthew_h
    Free Member

So what? If they only ride DH on the whole so only bought a DH bike and have no desire to buy another but decided to ride Stainburn then why not.

I hate all this judging of people because of the bike people happen to see them on one one occasion

Pook

i don't think he was having a go was he? Just questioning where the DH trails were?

jeez – sensitive bunch on here tonight.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Oh come on Pook, you've been here long enough to see the real reason behind threads like these.

davo
    Free Member

i think he means there a bunch of fannys for needing a dh bike, when it can be done on a ladys shopper! 😀

Pook

crikey it's all got a bit cynical. Maybe, just maybe, he wasn't….

😯

firestarter
    Free Member

i have five nice bikes and im 5hit 🙂

Simon

It's all XC at Stainburn………..

singlespeedstu

davo – Member

i think he means there a bunch of fannys for needing a dh bike, when it can be done on a ladys shopper

And the tell it like it is award goes to davo. 8)

davo
    Free Member

thankyou 😀

Pook

I'm quite tired

Blower
    Free Member

matthew h chill out lad!!been on this forum a long time too.

was only a comment,i was asking jesus..i am curious as to where they are these downhills.
    although if they can afford these big **** off bikes and fancy cars then they can afford another bike.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

mi©k – Member

i have five nice bikes and im 5hit 😉

*High fives multiple bike yet sh1te rider owner*

ton

descentline on a dh bike is awesome…..ideal spot for one.

firestarter
    Free Member

high fives back big buddy 🙂

Simon

Seriously, speaking as someone who has been involved for a few years with building at Stainburn, none of the trails were designed with DH riders on big bikes in mind. They were designed to be technically challenging red and black XC trails. Some of the uphill sections are my favourite bits.

But if people want to enjoy the trails on rigid singlespeeds or full on DH rigs it's all good.

stumpyjon

Can I join in the far too many bikes for the skill level club 😆

Blower
    Free Member

Gonna try the climbs on a dh bike next week,take mi armour and goggles for the occasion 😉

Simon

Can I come and watch?

Blower
    Free Member

yeah next sat Si,10am be there…

gonna try get to march's dig though..see if i can fetch a few bodies too.

carlosg
    Free Member

If you come out of the carpark and turn left and ride up the road about 300 yards where the treeline stops there's a DH of sorts running down the hill.

Nothing too taxing and TBH it doesn't really need a full on DH bike but it's good fun.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the 'descent line' is lots of fun on a Dh bike…

i think it's a very good trail; there aren't many places where you can have 3 minutes of fun with your big bike, and be back at the top in 15 easy minutes.

i wish there were more Dh tracks like that – it would make races a lot cheaper as you wouldn't need to pay for an uplift truck.

Stainburn is an under-rated Dh venue. Dh'ing is a bit like bouldering; sometimes it's good to just practise a few corners or a tricky section, rather than riding the whole route. Stainburn is great for that because you don't burn loads of height just going round a few corners.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do people post on DH forums when they see people riding XC bikes on DH runs?

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Really? What do they say?

(Genuinely interested)

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

If you come out of the carpark and turn left and ride up the road about 300 yards where the treeline stops there's a DH of sorts running down the hill.

I see lots of people doing that and it really puzzles me. The trail they're turning onto is the Descent Line. There's a lovely gentle (by Stainburn standards) climb from the car park on purpose built trail i.e. the Red Loop. Get to the top of that and you can either go back down the red to the car park (with a choice of two lines; bermed or skinny) by following the trail round to the right at its high point or go left and you're there where the DL trail starts almost at the road.

I guess the road ride is a touch easier (especially on a "big" bike) but the traffic / drivers are a bit mental and the alternative just seems much more fun. Hey ho.

Stainburn was built to be rideable on a HT, there are no purpose built DH trails. Saying that there have always been people that come, ride and seem to have fun on "big" bikes. Some of the trails blur the line a little but FC's official stance is no DH tracks. Yes, we've tried to talk to them about it. No we haven't got anywhere. No, there's too much else to be sorted to bother going back on that issue for the foreseeable future.

But saying that a wise man knows there are a few good, steep dirt tracks to be had in the woods. I'm not postingthem up here though 😉

The plonkers that keep riding through the badger sett on Norwood side and carving a trail there though are doing themselves no favours. So long as it doesn't come back on or jeopardise anything SingletrAction is doing then that's one thing. We've told FC it's nothing to do with us and TBH support them in their efforts to curtail it. Disturbance to a protected species is pretty daft and a surefire way to alienate a land manager.

My gut feeling (and I know it's been discussed elsewhere on the forum before) is that "big" bikes probably cause greater erosion but TBH as long as a few of the riders come back and help on the digs then that's just the life of a trail for you. I can never tell who rides what as we're all too busy with shovels 😉

Given the place is designed to be ridden up as well as down then I think "big" bikes are getting a poor return out of what is, really, a pretty small wood / set of trails. Being able to ride the Boulder Trail in something close to "one go" is something I'm still working on. But again, each to their own 😎

The Pyjama suits are just WRONG though 😉

Blower
    Free Member

Seems to me i see 80%ish doods on big rigs,and the other on xc machines..

Could do with attracting more riders xc orientated to what its aimed at right??

mark_b
    Free Member

Not really – you've got the whole of the Yorkshire Dales to ride XC in. I'm firmly in the 'make it harder for the riders of big bikes' camp 🙂

Chevin
    Free Member

Bit os an old clip now, but there is this.

Stainburn Descent Line

Matthew

ahwiles
    Free Member

chakaping: – almost exactly what blower said up there, but from the other side of the fence.

most of it sounds like 'they'll die!'

or, 'you'd think they'd put their saddle down or something!'

Cheeky: – you've probably seen me doing that, the technical climb is good fun, but not on a big bike.

the 'Burn is a jolly good place to spend an afternoon mucking around on a downhill bike.

(yes, i've helped out on a few dig-days!)

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Could do with attracting more riders xc orientated to what its aimed at right??

It's aimed at people who want a technical challenge. I don't think that restricts it to XC riders. I call it super-tech XC but, as I mentioned before, the lines are blurred between any arbitary, marketing led (?) definition of riding type.

I've seen DH mincers (and rippers) in the woods / on the trails as well as fully lycra'd HT riders launching off the Boulder Drop on the Descent Line. It's a funny old world 😉

Blower
    Free Member

recognize that one cheeky,,wa a bit icy slip slidy on sat though..
    you have a point….

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

It's so bloody trite but it is a great saying: "it's not about the bike …"

😎

benjag
    Free Member

pretty sure there are some proper DH runs up there, I was talking to the beardy dude from the mag and he was telling me about it.

edit, doh! that was Gisburn…………

cynic-al
    Free Member

FFS are you lot forgetting the first rule of mtbing?

If you see someone with a bigger bike than you riding the same stuff then you have a right, nay an obligation, to slag them off on stw the following Monday!

Why do you think the rigid singlespeed thing took off? They can slag everyone off!

misterfrostie
    Free Member

PJ hardtail styling it up on the boulder drop – love it 😉

jackal
    Free Member

If you see someone with a bigger bike than you riding the same stuff then you have a right, nay an obligation, to slag them off on stw the following Monday!

Why do you think the rigid singlespeed thing took off? They can slag everyone off!

😆

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

You wanna see the dirty looks I get riding the boulder drop with my pannier'ed up, high-posted, alfine'd on-one. I'm the man me 😉

Agree with the point above – why miss out that bit of red to get to the descent? One of the best bits imo.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Stainburn,DH Dood's…….’ is closed to new replies.