Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Stagging
  • northerntom
    Free Member

Morning all,

So, one of two best men for my brother wedding, and currently looking to organise the stag do. Hoping for some advice, past stories, helpful tips etc.

The current plan is for it to be based around Edinburgh, for a total of 15 people. 11 Thursday to Sunday, with another 4 joining Friday morning.

Current idea is (and this is very loose):

Thursday: Whisky tasting & castle stay – Fly into Edinburgh airport for fairly earlyish. Drive up to some massive castle that also happens to be a distillery, and stay there for the night. I currently have no ideas on where’s best for this, advice on this would be great. Also could look at going to a distillery for tasting then going on from there to a local pub, and staying in somewhere in the area.

Friday: Outdoor activities – Drive back down to Edinburgh to pick up remaining 4. Then I would ideally like to do a day of activities, so Kayaking, white water rafting, canyoning, cliff diving. Followed by a night spent camping, in yurts or something of that ilk, next to a lake, so we can go swimming etc. Get on the beers, have a big fire, all that kind of thing. I was thinking Peebles for this, only because this is the only place in Scotland I know well from mtb racing. If anyone has better suggestions around an hour or two away from Edinburgh, then more than welcome.

Saturday: Head back to Edinburgh, get somewhere on air b&b, and head out to town for beers, strippers, boats and hoes. Pretty simple, if anyone has suggestions for decent places to go out, more than welcome.

Any advice more than appreciated!

onehundredthidiot

Get some one who doesn’t drink to drive. Plan looks to have travel when most heavy night sessions would put the driver over the new lower limts

northerntom
    Free Member

Ah yes, we are planning on getting a mini bus and driver more than likely. But good point.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Remember that these weekends can turn eye wateringly expensive an people feel obliged to join in/spend more than they want to.

Not wanting to sound grumpy but having done 3 or 4 in a year it’s a bit much

binners

Get some one who doesn’t drink to drive.

That sounds like a great weekend. I can imagine you’ll be deluged with volunteers for that job. “Hey… fancy ferrying a load of pissed people round for a few days? We’ll buy you as many soft drinks as you can cope with. You’ll have to pay for your own accommodation though…”

Get a mini bus and driver.

We did a Peebles Stag do, very similar to what you’re describing. It was ace. Why the need to pack in so much though? Its not a competition. Or it shouldn’t be, at least. That could easily end up feeling like you were being frog-marched from one activity and location to another. Will you be using an iPad with an Exel spreadsheet? 😉 Chill out a bit!

We just went riding. The lads who didn’t ride were golfists, so they were happy doing that instead. We then got a mini-bus into Edinburgh on the Saturday for a big night out. The we sat around recovering

northerntom
    Free Member

Yeah mini bus and driver is a definite.

Just a Peebles/Edinburgh stag do is a possibility. It’s a loose plan at the moment so looking at all opportunities. Sadly, only 3/4 of us are mtbers on the trip, so riding is out of the question. Also, attendees from all around the world, so don’t want to drag them over here then split the group up.

Agree on doing too much though, moving around locations on a hangover is not fun.

binners

The thing is with stag do’s is that you meet new people, and you see people you may not have seen for ages, so its nice to factor in time to just sit around and have chat over a few beers.

I’d pick one activity that everyone will enjoy, and just do that. Peebles is a great shout location wise though

onehundredthidiot

Oh I’m terribly sorry binners. Although not explicitly stated a professional driver would be one who didn’t drink. Neither you nor I know the make up of the group. There may be non drinkers.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

If you’re after WW rafting then you’ll be on the Tummel near Pitlochry (numerous companies) or the Garry which is a long way north in the Great Glen.

If you want someone to organise everything for you have a google for Tayler Made Adventure. They’ll be able to organise any combo of outdoor activity you want.

teacake
    Free Member

Yep – I second TMA – Bob’s a great guy and will understand what you’re trying to do. He’s organised a few things I’ve been to.

http://www.taylermadeadventures.co.uk/

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ah yes, we are planning on getting a mini bus and driver more than likely. But good point.

I know a fella I recommend.

northerntom
    Free Member

great, could you PM me a number or anything?

Also, will contact talyermade as looks perfect, exactly what I’m after.

thanks all for your help. Any further suggestions would be fantastic.

The Whisky part is one I’m still keen on, any one have any ideas?

onehundredthidiot

Couple of distilleries in Pitlochry. Good warm up after a cold dip.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

can’t see how to pm

teacake
    Free Member

Scotch Malt Whisky Experience in Edinburgh
    Famous Grouse Experience in Crieff
    Deanstone distillery is a nice one near Stirling
    Kings Barns – small new start in Fife, near St Andrews

If it’s nosing and tasting the spirit you’re interested in then you don’t need to be at a distillery really (and I’d argue being on “neutral ground” is better since you’ll be tasting all different brands. SWE is apparently very good.

If you want to see a distillery then the above will give you a good feel for the process and raw materials.

felixdamouse
    Free Member

the aberfeldy area may be worth checking out for the castle/whisky tasting and outdoor pursuits option, also close to loch tay/river tay where you used to be able to hire jet ski’s and can also do white water rafting there. options for canyoning etc aswell.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member
    kbomb
    Free Member

Sounds a good plan.

Less is more with stag do’s, you’ll need to allow plenty of time for gathering people, and as said, people are happy just drinking and getting to know each other.

Figure out what its going to cost, add a bit for contingency (you can always buy a round with it, but having to keep asking for money will get annoying), and get everyone to pay you, giving them a time limit. A few will probably pull out or go quiet at that point, but at least you then know how many you’re catering for, and you shouldn’t end up too out of pocket.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Scotch malt whiskey society is in Leith, I personally would scrub round the travel idea as the logistics would be hellish on hangover day.. Alternatively just go somewhere in the first place then travel to Edinburgh for the last night, all that buggering about back and forth just sounds crap tbh when you could do it all in one place.

Cougar

Can you switch Thurs and Fri? I’d want to do loads of action activities the day

before

getting trousered on single malts, not afterwards. Driving to play taxi the next day might be risky as well.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Stagging’ is closed to new replies.