Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Stage 5 , any breakages?
  • sheepshifter
    Free Member

Unsure on a mark on my frame , just wondering if any breakages have been reported.

tony07
    Free Member

Where’s the mark? Think oranges can sometimes give way at the rear dropouts. Some spots the paint cracks like at the front shock mount, but this is usually just the paint

sheepshifter
    Free Member

Were the downtube meets the bb she’ll , along outer edge of weld , not completely following the weld .

chakaping
    Free Member

If you think it’s a crack, it probably is (since it’s an Orange).

I’m aware of two Stage 6s that have cracked in different spots to where your suspected crack is.

Feel like I’m on borrowed time with my S6!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Were the downtube meets the bb she’ll , along outer edge of weld , not completely following the weld .

I saw a 324 that had a catastrophic failure at the bb shell welds, the shock mount welds and the head tube posted on instagram the other day. I would love to know what the owner did to do that! An epic case to flat I reckon!

russyh
    Free Member

There are loads of recent examples of modern oranges cracking everyday reported on the owners group via Facebook.  Albeit the posts are often removed.  Drop outs appear the most common place and cable inserts into the swing arm.  Not to mention ovalised head tubes.  Interestingly my mate has had two stage 5’s where the rear wheel hits the seat tube under compression.  Orange said it was a characteristic of the bike!  Complete joke to be honest

sheepshifter
    Free Member

Under compression my rear wheel hits the seat tube I’ve put a chainstay protecter down the seat tube 🤔

russyh
    Free Member

Why? How can they think it’s appropriate for the tyre to hit the seat tube! My mate nearly came a cropper as it basically locked the rear wheel.  Could’ve been bloody messy.  His replacement did the same and oranges response was to fill the air can with tokens so the shock ramps up so much it’s virtually impossible.  But that changes the charactersistics of the shock.  Or they suggested changing the shock stroke with a spacer, which would of changed the travel of the bike…why not design and test the bike properly in the first place.  Since Orange have changed ownership in my experience they have seriously dropped the ball

ganic
    Free Member

Out of all the bikes available to buy direct, online or from a shop, why anyone would choose an Orange is baffling.

They are a relic in terms of design and manufacturing.  The geometry is often a strong point but the execution via folded sheet metal which is at best welded inconsistently, paired with a basic suspension design is poor, more so when the cost is accounted for.

The failures of frames is so common and documented on forums and Facebook with photos im surprised anyone buys them.

My experience was multiple failures of an Alpine 160.  Not worth the risk with so many good bikes around now.

dirkpitt74

My mate has a Stage6 and is on his 3rd swing arm.

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>russyh
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Why? How can they think it’s appropriate for the tyre to hit the seat tube!

On the 224 evo some people did this intentionally, because it was better than it cracking the frame mounts when it bottomed out (stupid falling rate suspension meant it bottomed out like a sledgehammer)

</div>
    Only guy I know with a stage has broken the swingarm, very similar to how all the alpine swingarms broke. But I’m sure the fact that it’s only got 2 bearings makes it bombproof right?

Still, for all that, it’s a lovely bike.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Sorry but images would help .. I have to add from a close group of riders myself included ive know 5 frames go from 8  in the last 2.5 years, the last a rear swing arm on a 2018 alpine frame just Sunday .

Oversized head tube

Crank on seatstay

crack near bb shell

crank or swing arm

crack on swing arm ..

Its not pleasant reading ,  fingers crossed for you its warrantied

wukfit
    Free Member

I sold my Five in August and I won’t ever be buying another Orange

The amount of failures is beyond ridiculous

Theyre stupidly expensive in comparison to other brands, especially if you upgrade parts when you order

they used to hold they’re secondhand value at least, but not anymore now they’re cracking and the warranty is only for the original owner

Saccades
    Free Member

Does this mean I shouldn’t press the buy button on a stage 5?

mildred

Do it

joebristol

When you can get frames with better suspension and a much lower failure rate for less money it would seem a risky buy to me going with an Orange fs bike.

chestrockwell

Just for balance, i’ve owned 2 5’s, 2 5 29’s and a Segment along with loads of Orange ht’s, none of which have cracked.

Sold both my 5’s to friends and neither cracked.

joebristol

I know one person who has an alpine 6 and he’s on his second swing arm already (not had it 2 years yet). Previous bike had the same type of riding and lasted a lot longer with no cracks (carbon full suss) until he crashed it hard into something solid. The Alpine just cracked with normal riding / no crashes.

tenfoot

I’ve had a Four for 18 months and had no problems yet. It probably doesn’t get the same kind of riding an Alpine would though, I guess.

Sheepshifter – have a look on the Orange owners Facebook accounts.

chiefgrooveguru

Well this is sad reading. I wonder if the FEA on lightening the gauge of the aluminium failed to take into account strength losses after welding?

liamvc96
    Free Member

are these problems only on the full suss frames?

about to pull the trigger on a crush frame and this thread is worrying me

i know the hardtail frames aren’t made in the same place as the full suss’ so it might not be the same

chiefgrooveguru

“about to pull the trigger on a crush frame and this thread is worrying me”

Total different manufacturing process and location. Doubt you have anything to worry about!

andybrad

not many issues with the hardtails, Its the FS thats had a lot of bad press recently.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Had my Stage 6 for 2 years now out in the alps with no problems.

ton

a orange mountain bike that has broke? …………………………. never!!

zer0cool
    Free Member

All this talk if outdated design is good and well but I tested a bunch of bikes from Bird, specialized, Cotic and an Orange (Five), was the best, for me anyway. I’m no fanboy, with any loyalty to Orange either.

I really hope mine doesn’t crack, or anyone elses from any design fault. It’s mostly Alpines I’ve read about, not seen one in person.

prahran
    Free Member

Nothing lasts forever. I bet most warranty claims are from rider error but blame the bike when it breaks after a bad landing or crash.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong ive been a long time fan an rider of Orange bikes (crush p7 five alpine and alpine five )  and they have been great, and yes as a first time buyer the warranty till cover any problem with the frame if there is a problem. The second hand market for Orange full sus bikes has dropped on its arse as they really arnt worth trusting with the high rates of failure or cracks appearing on the 2015> onwards frames. The customer service they offer with cracks and such seems to be brilliant. If you can read through the bull have a look at the Orange riders page on Facebook there are a few stories of where problems have arisen and been rectified quickly and without fuss normally.

snotrag

Further to the points above, I’ve hammered my Stage 4 (made from thinner gauge sheet than the 5 and 6) with no issues last year. I was actually quite impressed with the visual weld quality,  powdercoat finish etc when I bought it, the only let down being the poor application of the decals – so they immediately posted me out a spare set for when they are ruined.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Crack? No way, Orange are bombproof,  and made in Yaaaaarkshire!😂

legend
    Free Member

I bet most warranty claims are from rider error but blame the bike when it breaks after a bad landing or crash.

I’d bet they’re not. I can’t remember any Orange full-sus bike being particularly reliable from the MrO onwards (and I’m a Five owner if you’re assuming I’m a hater)

Saccades
    Free Member

Pressed the buy button – actually a NOS segment factory at 45% discount. 5 years warranty should see me right.

RustyNissanPrairie

The thing putting me off orange is the Dirt Orange factory tour from a year or two ago.

I know old school British manufacturing is tits and arse calenders and having the crack but this video just put me right off especially as there were a few Hope and SantaCruz factory tour vids around at the same time that showed the new school cad design /clean working environment/professionalism that was missing from the Orange vid as they **** frames with hammers and chuck tools on benches.

That recent Orange ebike vid of them riding Snowdon didn’t help their image in my mind.

I think they need to evolve and change with the times a bit both product, image and professionally.

https://youtu.be/tEv5xkTdC68

stevedoc
    Free Member

Thats the first time ive seen the vid .. The P R  department really need to have a chat .. thats shocking

mahalo

Well my stage 5 is getting toward the age where I would normally be thinking about a replacement but I honestly have no intentions to swap at the moment. It’s just spot on for me. I’ve had no issues and only on my second pair of bearings. If it was to crack now it would sort of be a result…!

timc
    Free Member

That video doesn’t do anyone any favours really, The process isn’t explained well, the staff aren’t introduced or explaining what they do well & the posters of women in 2018 is just poor.

would seem Orange have missed an opportunity to get some great marketing out of that, if i was them id be asking for that video to be removed & doing a new piece & marketing it accordingly.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

The owner looks and sounds like he voted for Brexit.

So now wonder they crack and fail really.

wl
    Free Member

Had two Fives, three Patriots and four hardtails over the last 18 years.  All mint bikes, ridden all year round in the Pennines, Lakes, Alps, Canada and Spain, including guiding.  Only had a warranty issue with one, several years back, and it was sorted in an instant. There’s an Orange FS in every Dirt 100 I’ve ever seen.

cyclelife
    Free Member

That video 😂😂 –  I was expecting to see Grumio with hammer int fine  tuning dept!  “Fair play”

raybanwomble
    Free Member

That video 😂😂 –  I was expecting to see Grumio with hammer int fine  tuning dept!  “Fair play”

How I imagine a day at Orange.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Stage 5 , any breakages?’ is closed to new replies.