Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Stag do travelling etiquette
  • sing1etrack

So, stag do to Edinburgh in June.

Two groups making up the do – i) the stag’s mates and ii) his wife-to-be’s mates’ other halves (I’m in the latter – the girls do quite a few things with us other halves so it’s a closer relationship than it sounds).

Proposed method of travel is train, at £65 each return. Is it wrong for the five of us in group ii) to sack this off in favour of going in a car which will cost about a tenner each there and back. Should we be showing solidarity to the stag and join the rest on the train to get canned up regardless of expense (the canned up bit may or may not happen – I’ve never met the geezer’s mates so don’t know what may happen!)?

I know there’s an element of ‘tightness’ here on my part, but hey, times are tough and 55 quid’s 55 quid, and I’m also considering the other 4 guy’s financial positions which vary from quite skint to quite well off.

Thoughts please, and I’ll read em at work tomorrow instead of working.

boltonjon

Pre-order the tickets, get the train and get everyone lashed very early!!

john_drummer
    Free Member

a) how long are you going for?
    b) who’s driving?
    c) will the driver be happy not drinking for 12+ hours before setting off back?

Duggan

Absolutely nothing wrong with that imo. Just as long as you’re in the right place at the right time, that’s all that counts. Doesn’t really matter how you get there.

Once you’ve had a few beers in Edinburgh with the other lads you’ll get to know them fine, train journey won’t matter.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Where you travelling from?

As above train makes a lot more sense than driving home drunk

MussEd
    Free Member

I disagree. Got to travel en masse. They’ll be reeking when they get off the train, you lot won’t, therefore you lessen chance of meeting them never mind gelling as a group.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yep got to go on the train together! Once went on a stag, with 15 of them travelling from Sheffield to York and two of us travelling independently from derby. We never really clicked with the rest of the group as they’d been “on it” much earlier than us!

toys19
    Free Member

Also the train sounds like it’s part of the experience. It’s like saying, sod the paintball at 40 quid each we’ll go to the park and play armies with sticks and throw conkers at each other.

higgo
    Free Member

The train is part of the ‘do’. Stag weekend’s should not involve either the cheapest or most sensible option. You five will set yourselves apart from the group.

allthepies
    Free Member

Big faux par not to do the train thing. You might as well tell the others you’re going to get a load of supermarket lager in and stay in your hotel room rather than tour the local pubs/clubs.

😉

wait4me

Yeah gotta be the train. If i’d driven on an Edinburgh staggie I’d have missed out on a drunken game of Paedo Top Trumps with playing cards kindly supplied by the NOTW. Possibly the sickest yet funniest card games ever played. Chuckling studidly now and it was over 10 years ago.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The rational thing to do here, of course, is to say “**** that, we’re driving and saving ourselves money.” and I would understand if you did.

However, the fact that it’s a stag-do means that all rational behaviour is thrown out of the window in favour of the group dynamic.

A few years ago, I went to a stag do in Brighton with a bunch of lads, all of who were coming from North Wales/Chester area. Naturally, coming from Bristol, I got the train down and waited there for them. They all got a coach. I was already a bit of an outsider in the group as it was, but I regretted not just driving up there and getting the coach down with them as it would have inveigled me into the group a lot more quickly.

Much as it’ll piss you off, get the train matey. At least you won’t be worried about driving, parking etc and you won’t be the arseholes who insisted on doing things their own way at the stag-do.

simon_g

I agree with the others – get the train. Edinburgh parking charges will probably wipe out your saving anyway, plus you don’t have to worry about “morning after” alcohol levels for the trip back.

mrdestructo

This one is reading up on trail etiquette

sing1etrack

An almost unanimous verdict there I’d say – train it is (I was leaning more toward this tbh and shouldn’t have listened to other people’s ‘rational’ arguments for going by car at all!).

Thanks all!

Taff
    Free Member

It’s fine. We have just done Edinburgh with two groups from different airports. Doing New Quay with a bus but would have to drive to Bristol to meet them so driving straight there with a few others. It’s the destination thats important not how you get there.

sing1etrack

Thanks for that mrdestructo. What a foolish place to put that notice though – that stag and his no-doubt weekend warrior, armour-clad, 6″ full suss riding mates will be causing a right old blockage just before those drop offs. Bloody trail centres…..

cheers_drive

My stag do is also in Edinburgh in June and the journey up caused similar discussions because I’m going from Bristol, the other from various places in the Midlands and East Anglia. The cost of the train ruled it out but some wanted to drive until the time and being drunk the next morning thing was pointed out.
    It sounds like the one you are going to will have a shorter journey as our train option was 3x times that cost. Go on the train, the cost is minor compared to the rest of the weekend and it bonds the group.
    Unfortunately because being spread over the country my stag do will be flying in from 3 seperate airports 🙁

konabunny
    Free Member

I don’t know where you live or whether it’s too late because everyone has already bought tickets but at that price you might be able to get a minibus/coach for a cheaper/even more clubby experience.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Stag do travelling etiquette’ is closed to new replies.