Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Stag Do To Amsterdam – Do's and Don't Advice Please
  • utangvegas

Off to Amsterdam for a stag do and just wondered if anyone had been and what advice they would give to someone who has not been before.

We have a hotel booked but is the train good from the airport or shall we just taxi?

Any other good bars or tours to do?

Cheers,

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t kiss any girl with an adam’s apple.

jekkyl

there was a thread on here just last week with the very same question. I’ve been 3 times and would love to give you some tips but currently at work 😐 and I have signed our internet usage policy.

hels
    Free Member

(Don’t use the possessive apostrophe for a plural)

The Anne Frank House was the best thing I saw in Amsterdam. I thought the red light district was horrible and grim, junkies everywhere like Zombies Dawn of the Dead, having a good hard look at your handbag.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your planning to do anything that isn’t legal in the UK check your works random testing policy.

thomthumb
    Free Member

is the train good from the airport

quicker easier and much cheaper. Even the taxi driver told us to get the train!

BoardinBob

Don’t put your hand up in Casa Rosso when they ask for volunteers from the audience 😳

muddodger
    Free Member

is the train good from the airport

quicker easier and much cheaper. Even the taxi driver told us to get the train!

Trains are about every 10 mins, it’s about 6 minutes from Schipol. Not sure how much but will be very cheap, and clean, and reliable!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Trains are about every 10 mins, it’s about 6 minutes from Schipol. Not sure how much but will be very cheap, and clean, and reliable!

About 15 minutes when I was there with work last week. Definitely the way to go though, faster and cheaper than the taxi.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Second Anne Frank, likely to be busy though.

jekkyl

.look at the world out of the train window thinking ‘what a barren, hill free featurless urban sprawl’
    .get some lunch and sit in the square watching long blonde haired damsels in wooly hats cycle past.
    .get shouted at by a local for walking in the cycle lane.

The Anne Frank house is interesting and all that but not exactly appropriate for a stag do.

iolo
    Free Member

Just googled Casa Rosso. 40 euros to go into a strip joint. Really? that’s a bloody expensive night as the drinks will be crazy money in an establishment like that.

hot_fiat

The train is definitely the best way to get into town from Schiphol. As you leave the station check out the massive multi-story bike parking on the right hand side. Depending on where your hotel is you may then need to grab a taxi from there.

Water bus tours are quite good, as is the Anne Frank museum. Some of the private museums along the Damrak are really quite odd.

Red light area is properly grim.

The Dutch are pretty intolerant of misbehaving stag parties now so just be careful. They were talking about making you produce a form of local ID if you wanted to sample the shrubbery. Dunno what became of this.

Trams and bicycles have an absolute, unquestionable, anointed-by-God right of way.

Scamper
    Free Member

Is the sex museum still there?

DrJ

AAMOI what’s the big interest of the Anne Frank house?

federalski
    Free Member

Get a card with the address of your hotel on it if your a wee bit out the centre, Amsterdam is an absolute maze when sozzled once you go off the main streets.

terrahawk
    Free Member

no idea. Doesn’t sound like you can get stoned there.

easygirl

Anne frank house.
    Its just some house whee a small girl and her friend hid in a false attic from the germans a wrote a diary about her time there.
    Just walk on by and go to a coffee house for a joint, yiu will enjoy it more

Northwind

DrJ – Member

According to Jim Jefferies, it’ll help stop you from getting a vibrating egg stuck up your arse.

thomthumb
    Free Member

biebers been there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22146859

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Double post

hels
    Free Member

Anne Frank House

It is a really nicely done museum, in spite of the sad subject matter. I loved that book when I was a kid, so it had a lot of resonance for me.

There was a great bit at the end, a kind of film along the lines “so you think this won’t happen again in our modern society” where they showed a film about the Flemish far right groups, and people voted for their view. Was quite scary.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Hire some bikes and do a pub crawl, great fun. There’s a big building with lots of steps somewhere to the east of the city-no idea what the hell it was as we were guttered but see how the hire bikes cope with them.
    Oh and save your money on the strip clubs if that’s your thing, the 2 euro peep show is good value

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hels and easygirl I see your sentimens but I think your confusing what to do in Amsterdam with a Stag Do.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Yep, your advice is as useless as Anne Frank’s drum kit

dannyh
    Free Member

Don’t mix copious amounts of strong continental lager with, ahem, shrubbery.

The resulting hangover will redefine your definition of paranoia.

irelanst
    Free Member

Some of the windows have blue lights, Caveat emptor.

utangvegas

Thanks for the advice so far. I think we are doing one of those beer bike things which look like fun 😉

iolo
    Free Member

If your employer knows you’re going there’s a strong chance you will be chosen for a random drug check on your return. Just be careful or you might end up out of a job.

jon1973
    Free Member

Remember to double-bag it.

brodie
    Free Member

Try not to get stoned within the first hour of getting there then spend the rest of the day being paranoid about trams and staring at bicycles for hours.

Seriously though, enjoy the sights before you get smashed.

scruff
    Free Member

Nah, straight to the smoke & whore zone otherwise you could just be in Wolverhampton. Actually that is Wolverhampton…

iffoverload
    Free Member

don’t forget to take a pair of rollerskates and a neon coloured thong.

hels
    Free Member

You should see the sights ! Surely getting off your face and slavering over prostitutes can be done almost anywhere.

DrJ

Easygirl and hels – I’m familiar with the general holocaust thang, just curious about why that specific story is so enormously popular, enough to generate huge queues outside the house? IIRC, it doesn’t exactly shine a very nice light on Dutch society.

hora
    Free Member

Amsterdam is great, love it. DONT go to the seedy bit. Its very sad and disgusting for blokes to think its some sort of zoo/cliche to do.

iffoverload
    Free Member

Rijksmuseum, Vondelpark on a nice day, and a boat ride tour/cruise, Grey Area if you want something different..

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Anne frank house.
    Its just some house whee a small girl and her friend hid in a false attic from the germans a wrote a diary about her time there.

Extracts form the diary:

Monday, stayed in
    Tuesday, stayed in
    Wednesday, stayed in
    Thursday, played hide and seek inside
    Friday, stayed in

Marin
    Free Member

Ride a bike, sit on a bench at canal crossroads with coffee and bagel. Drink booze in the Dutchy half pint size glasses to last the night. Red light area is grim. Don’t start smoking till after lunch and take some sunglasses. Ride out the city to the nearest windmills and go for lunch.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Bostik. Foil sealed coffee.

What was the question?

Ah, yes, there’s two holidays you can have:

1: The Filth one.

2. The nice one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Stag Do To Amsterdam – Do's and Don't Advice Please’ is closed to new replies.