Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)
  • Staffordshire Bull Terriers… Great With Kids.
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

friend spent 3 days in hospital with an infected cat bite on their hand… nearly everyone i know… actually for the sake of the thread, lets change that to everyone in the world, especially kids and vulnerable adults (as vulnerable adults are the only people silly enough to welcome these evil creatures into their homes) has been scratched or bitten by a cat.

cats do nothing but use you then when you’re not attending to their every need, leave or daydream about ways to kill you.

of course the daily mail doesn’t report that, cos cats vote tory.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Dogs and kids. That’s the issue here. Not which dog but any dog.

I own a high energy patterdale terrier. He’s daft and thinks everyone wants to play. So many kids are fearful of dogs and get jumpy around them, Eddie thinks its play. So I keep him on a lead around kids and never leave him alone with them. He won’t bite but he could push them over easily. I think that makes me responsible. More dog owners should be.

Dogs will more often than not just mirror a humans behaviour. If you are calm, they are calm. If you run, they run. If you are aggressive…you know the rest. Why this fact is beyond some dog owners is beyond me.

hora
    Free Member

If you insist on having a staffie or other such mental killing machine in the house with your kids, could you not just keep a fresh supply of bunny rabbits lolloping around the living room, then when it decided to have a psychotic incident it could just rag those around, instead of your childs face?

I’ve known you since 1603 and that must be the funniest thing you’ve ever said.

franksinatra

Why do dogs need teeth? They no longer strip meat from the carcass of a recently killed wild antelope, they just eat mushy dog food.

Why not just genetically modify dogs so they no longer have teeth? Then, when they attack, you just get a mushy love bite*

* Obviously I am joking, this wouldn’t work for police dogs, they should be allowed to keep their teeth.

anagallis_arvensis

A dog’s only master is the male in the house. A very sad fact.

Complete and utter bullshite from somone whose dog had to be rehomed cause it bit his son.
    My dog can be left alone with my son for short periods and it will not bite him. I was left alone with dogs from a young age and was never biten. Flame away if you like those of you who think someone should not leave a dog alone with a young child. I’m more than hapy to nip upstair for a shower or whatever with both of them on the sofa watching Cbeebies 😀

dannybee
    Free Member

Just to add balance obviously i love my Staffie but the other week on a local trail i was met by a very angry Staf and a owner screaming for him to come back (he was quite a way away) the dog was very aggressive and i felt sure it was a close call whether it attacked or not the guys comment when he finally got it on the lead ” Glad she was not going for me she’s a vicious little bugger”

These are the ones that need shooting not the dog what made it a hundred times worse was a few days later i spotted it again off the lead 🙁 It makes me sad i own a popular dog which is popular with a lot of the population i would call scum 🙄

zippykona

The facts are that they are ugly dogs mostly owned by shell suit wearers.
    Why anyone would want one is beyond me.
    I used to love going to see the dogs at the rspca and dream of which one we would have. 95% of them now are Staffies. Shit dogs owned (should I say given away once it chewed the x box) by shit people.

failedengineer

I’m heartily sick of the pro-dog lobby in this country. They are dirty, smelly and downright dangerous (the dogs, not the people. Although …) and the sheer number of them these days is ridiculous. We care more for dogs in this country than people (Stafford hospitals?) Grrrrrrrrr.

dannybee
    Free Member

Also the Staffie is one of only two dogs from 190 the kennel club recommends as suitable with children !

franksinatra

used to love going to see the dogs at the rspca and dream of which one we would have. 95% of them now are Staffies

So true. I just looked at the Edinburgh Dogs home website. I reckon about 80% were staffie or staffie cross.

There was a collie cross called Clive!

dannybee
    Free Member

The facts are that they are ugly dogs mostly owned by shell suit wearers.
    Why anyone would want one is beyond me.
    I used to love going to see the dogs at the rspca and dream of which one we would have. 95% of them now are Staffies. Shit dogs owned (should I say given away once it chewed the x box) by shit people.

Well that’s your opinion but i don’t think I’m shit and i don’t own a xbox but since where giving opinions i think your a nob 😆

joeegg
    Free Member

Recently a friends dog was mauled to death by a Bull Terrier.A few weeks earlier the same dog had killed an old guys elderly Collie.
    The owners were seen in the local vets trying to get the microchip removed to stop indentification, but the dog was just wild and they had to leave.
    The police took no action as they said it was dog on dog attacks and not on people.My wife was really scared taking our King Charles out as she witnessed the second attack.
    Youths around here with Bull Terriers have been known to approach dog walkers in order to provoke fighting between the dogs.
    There is no place for these types of dogs and mindset of some of the owners and they should be banned.

anagallis_arvensis

I would bet large sums of money that most of the staffies doing the baby killing are heavily cross bred and owned by morons. So not actually really staffies at all.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

i own a popular dog which is popular with a lot of the population i would call scum

here’s the problem, scum breeding aggressive dogs and yielding more aggressive dogs. Breed is screwed now.

There needs to be tighter control over dog breeding.

And DNA registration of dogs so DNA testing of those little bags of sh1t hanging from trees can find the owner so they can be fined…

dannybee
    Free Member

This is a interesting read ,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7239464.stm

anagallis_arvensis

Youths around here with Bull Terriers have been known to approach dog walkers in order to provoke fighting between the dogs.

Some people tried that with my dog, was quite funny watching this thing try and catch a lurcher. In the end it gave up much to their disappointment. Police were completely unintrested when I reported it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Recently a friends dog was mauled to death by a Bull Terrier.A few weeks earlier the same dog had killed an old guys elderly Collie.

A friend of my father lived on the outskirts of the jungle in India a while back. Their baby was on the veranda and a tiger came out of the jungle and was about to take the baby. Their bull terrier (english) came round the corner and sacrificed itself fighting off the tiger and saving the baby.

My father had 3 english or proper breeding (Butch, Blossom and Belinda – pedigree dictates that they have to be named with a B, or something like that) and they were great.

Pure breed they are fantastic dogs, it is the pitbulls and cross breeding that is the problem, and the scum of society that breed them like this. It is them that need putting down…

anagallis_arvensis

Indomitably courageous
    Tenacious
    Highly intelligent
    Affectionate, especially with children
    Bold
    Fearless
    Totally reliable

shows how much shit the kennel club are full of.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I love all your informed intelligent comments concerning a dog you have never owned. I have had Staffords for over 15 years and have never had any issues apart from other dogs attacking mine and then the associate vet bills. To all those saying the dogs and owners are scum and the dogs should be shot please keep your asshole remarks to yourself and piss off.

epicyclo

I’ve never owned a Staffie, but all the Staffies I’ve known have been good dogs, hugely enthusiastic.

A Staffie from a good home is incredibly patient around kids who poke and pull on them, and the least likely dog to turn on a kid IMO.

But of course, then there’s dogs that have been brutalised by low life scum – any dog – and you can’t trust them.

Around other dogs properly trained Staffies rarely start a fight, but they often finish it, so they need to be kept in check there because once in action, they’re mini tyrannosauruses and impervious to pain.

Ugly little buggers with a happy smile. 🙂

dannybee
    Free Member

A more up to date article about them being good family dogs seems its not just the Kennel Club that are full of shit anagallis_,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22158107

hora
    Free Member

The other issue is as soon as you see an owner with one, could be a campsite, any setting at all you think ‘common’.

The owner could be the nicest looking bloke- its just perceived as a common-man’s dog now isn’t it?

Sad really as the Staff’s I’ve met are/were lovely.

dannybee
    Free Member

To be fair i am pretty common 😀

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Never heard so much crap on this forum, The Wiki is pretty much lifted from the Kennel Club site who know about dogs unlike the media were some of you do your research maybe try reading a book?

My knowledge of fighting dogs comes from my father. In the late 80’s, he was a Police Officer who spent several years under cover infiltrating dog fighting gangs, buying and selling pit bulls, staffies etc.

He advised the government at the time and was instrumental in the drafting of the Dangerous Dogs Act of 1991.

During that time, he had some of the most dangerous dogs in the UK kept in a stable block at our house, and had a large collection of videos of dog fights – both Pits and Staffies.

I’d post a link to a video of what these animals are capable, but I don’t think it would please the moderators of this forum.

So no, I don’t do my research in the mainstream media.

wrecker
    Free Member

I grew up with a variety of dogs and have owned an English bull for 11 years. The only dog who’s ever bitten me with an intent to hurt me was a collie. BAN COLLIES DANGEROUS BITEY BEASTS.

hora
    Free Member

My knowledge of fighting dogs comes from my father. In the late 80’s, he was a Police Officer who spent several years under cover infiltrating dog fighting gangs

Drac

I seem to recall that the most common breed associated with attacks are Labrador’s and the most common by percentage of dogs owned are collies.

Your memory must be from decades ago as Labs are constantly top of the list for most common dogs in the UK and Collies rarely appear.

klumpy
    Free Member

As for so many dogs apparently going against the nature of the breed, could be this is considered a good breed to put some pitbull into and get away with it…?

sam123
    Free Member

Some of the stuff written here is complete bull shit.

I had a Staffie from about the age of 6 or 7. He would never intentional bite anyone. You could even put your arm in his mouth and he would never bite to hurt it.

If they are properly trained, they are great dogs.

MSP

My knowledge of fighting dogs comes from my father. In the late 80’s, he was a Police Officer who spent several years under cover infiltrating dog fighting gangs, buying and selling pit bulls, staffies etc.

He advised the government at the time and was instrumental in the drafting of the Dangerous Dogs Act of 1991.

During that time, he had some of the most dangerous dogs in the UK kept in a stable block at our house, and had a large collection of videos of dog fights – both Pits and Staffies.

I’d post a link to a video of what these animals are capable, but I don’t think it would please the moderators of this forum.

So no, I don’t do my research in the mainstream media.

I don’t base my view of the people I meet in everyday life on the harrowing tales of the cruelty and barbarism that happens in war.

dannybee
    Free Member

I retract my media statement then it obviously does not apply to you but i was talking about the breed in general not the ones have been trained to fight and respect to your Dad it is not a job i could stomach.

Why was the Staffy never put on the Dangerous dogs act? I had a quick look on there and the only one i recognise is the pitbull.

Helios
    Free Member

One of the most ridiculous and ineffectual pieces of legislation passed in recent years – you must be so proud.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Why was the Staffy never put on the Dangerous dogs act? I had a quick look on there and the only one i recognise is the pitbull.

I suspect it was a populist decision – it was certainly against advice from the Police.

I had a Staffie from about the age of 6 or 7. He would never intentional bite anyone. You could even put your arm in his mouth and he would never bite to hurt it.

Sam, you are a complete and utter tool with no knowledge or understanding of dogs or their behaviour! Of course you can put your arm in its mouth! You were the ‘pack leader’! But if the dog ever felt that it – or you – was in some way threatened, whether it was directly, or a perceived threat to its rank in the pack hierarchy, it would undoubtedly have the potential to attack – just like ANY OTHER DOG.

The difference is that your dog would more than likely have inflicted horrific, potentially fatal injuries, whereas a non-fighting breed like a collie, Lab or shepherd would most likely inflict a single snap.

And let’s not forget, dogs have NO understanding of the society values that we possess, so whilst knobs and chavs like to keep Staffies to protect them from gangsters, dealers and thieves, no dog in the history of dogs can tell the difference between a villain and a child or a postman.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and in the empirical evidence crap that is the most important the missus as a vet had her worst bite/attack experiences with labs.

MSP

Sam, you are a complete and utter tool with no knowledge or understanding of dogs or their behaviour!

Oh the ironing!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

no dog in the history of dogs can tell the difference between a villain and a child or a postman.

Mine can.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

dogs have NO understanding of the society values (sic) that we possess

Yes they do.

dannybee
    Free Member

Not sure on the villain but our dog can tell the difference between the kids and the postman 😕

binners

The black and white cat’s the giveaway with the postman though, surely?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Staffordshire Bull Terriers… Great With Kids.’ is closed to new replies.