Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Staff Redundancy – Been asked to ‘represent’ a member of staff
  • TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I am relatively new to the company myself (6mths). I am doing well and have kept my head down.

The lady in question has asked me to go into the one on one meeting with her as she feels i will have a fresh look on everything. Trouble is i wont have any outlook on it. I dont really know her (Or what she does in the dept) and i have no experience of what i should be doing on her behalf. Regardless of what i do or dont think of her i wouldnt want to let her down so what should i be doing?

chakaping
    Free Member

Just take notes on her behalf really.

If things become heated, if she gets upset or if you suspect HR/management is trying to pull a fast one – call a quick time out and take her out of the room for a few minutes.

That’s all I had to do as a union rep, though I’d sometimes ask pertinent questions related to redundo process if my members didn’t remember to.

hora
    Free Member

Just take notes on her behalf really.

If things become heated, if she gets upset or if you suspect HR/management is trying to pull a fast one – call a quick time out and take her out of the room for a few minutes.

Personally? I’d just take notes. I wouldnt even feel comfortable being there (not knowing her etc etc) to get involved further than notes.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Thats just it. I dont know any pertinent questions….

The meeting is a prelim meeting with each member of staff in that dept. I think its so that they can put their respective points across about why the company is looking at making someone in that dept redundant and possibly for her to make a case for her job. I dont even know what it is she does.

I am not one for backing out of stuff but this isnt really my scence. I do happy jolly stuff.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had to sit in on diciplinary meetings in out halls, not quite the same thign as you generaly got thrown out without a big payoff and fined.

All I was there for was to act as a witness to any discusssion and ballance the numbers so that whoever was in trouble didn’t feel overly intimidated. didn’t realy work as invariably I voted with the staff as to get that far you had to be in propper trouble (farming, throwing TVs from windows, shooting people were three i can remember)

nickjb
    Free Member

Ask her. What does she expect you to do? If you aren’t happy doing it then don’t. These things can be a bit intimidating with her boss and HR ganging up so ay kind of morale support is probably a help.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I dont mind being a shoulder to cry on or taking a few notes. As chakaping said, maybe i could make sure they arent being overly aggresive but thats probably the end of my input.

The guy who will be doing it is also technically my boss (I get a lot of free reign here) so i dont want to be overly protective of her either.

Bloody hell, when she asked for a quiet word, i didnt expect that.

VanHalen

have a quiet chat at some point and go over what she wants you to do.

there is little you can do, just be there and dont say anything stupid.

perhaps promt a question you know she wants to ask (as discussed in yer little meet) but may have forgotton.

i had to do this recently and it sucked.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As said above – take notes, and offer support. Ask for a recess if the meeting is getting heated or she gets upset.

You are not representing her – merely acting as support and witness

rickmeister

TLH, you have an option to refuse, if your not happy but have your reasons. Like others, I reckon try to stick with the process, avoid emotional blackmail or attempts at constructive dismissal by either side. I am not HR/Employment law savvy myself but there are specific processes to follow and they are well defined. Take accurate notes, don’t get drawn into discussion or offering your opinion, your not the point of discussion. Observe and notes only to be able to replay the content of the meeting in case it goes to a tribunal…. Its a tough one…. especially with one party being your boss

(ps, are you Andrew, ex VW Carlisle? If so, my T5 is still going very well….!)

Trekster

he is

Junkyard
    Free Member

as above … feel free to explain why you are there at the start of the meeting and what you will be doing (I have said I will answer /ask all question or say nothing /observe depending on the person I am representing as a Union rep)
    Advise them to shut up if they are in the process of saying something daft or getting emotional … dont say this to mgment they are the enemey let them drop themselves in it …. not a joke really let them do this (they wont they know there stuff usually)
    Let the person have some realistic expectations of what you will will not do.
    She has probably picked you as you are not one of mgmnt and are neutral/objective as you are not her friend either

konabunny
    Free Member

You should feel free to politely refuse if you don’t feel comfortable doing it. Ideally, she needs someone independent (i.e. who doesn’t have to worry about recrimination from the boss) and well-informed about the various issues. With respect, you’re not either (and I wouldn’t be in your position either). But if you explain this to her, and she still just wants someone to sit with her, be a fresh pair of ears, and doesn’t have anyone else – you could try doing your best.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“I had to sit in on diciplinary meeting” – me too

You can refuse, but if you like the person or are just curious, you could do it.

The basic problem is that the person and the management will be emotional and not ask/answer the right questions or state/record the right information. Being there, you reassure the person and help ensure that the management behave themselves and don’t bully the employee.

If you are going to do it, gen-up properly on the relevant law and company rules. Prepare the questions and note if you think they are answered. When you ask questions or clarifications, be completely detached – don’t “defend” the person or take responsibility for their reactions.

Be aware that management hate doing this stuff, are inexperienced and can be right cr@p at it, getting stressed, stubborn and forgetting important bits. If you can be the calm voice of reason, you’ve helped everybody.

chakaping
    Free Member

The pertinent questions bit I mentioned was really relating to my knowledge of the redundancy process at my old company.

You don’t have this, so don’t worry about that bit. As somebody else said, you;re not representing her, more like making up the numbers.

Being a union rep did my career more good than anything else I can think of, so don’t worry about the boss siding against you. He should respect you more for supporting your colleague and being the person that she turned to.

Sandwich

I would suggest you are not the person for the job. You don’t feel part of her team or identify with her. (There should be no comeback from your line manager, that you think there might be is worrying).

bigyinn
    Free Member

<tongue in cheek mode engage>

Is she fit? If so could there be an oppertunity for some grateful sex??

<tongue in cheek mode disengage>

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Rick – Yes its me 🙂 Moved in November from VW to Merc. It was getting rediculous sitting at a desk all day (Its not my style). I run things over here now and cover a couple of branches and really enjoy it. If you are in carlisle give me a shout, i will give you a race in a 200bhp Brabus Vito, or maybe i can get my hands on a 230bhp one….

All the other posts, well i have been home and chatted to the wife and also spoken to the lady in question. I am there only to keep a clear head and take notes. Not to offer any input other than maybe if she gets upset. Gonna do it as i would hope for someone to say yes if i was in the same position.

I have also spoke to the manager involved and told him i will be there (Out of courtesy) and just offering support to the lady. He was fine with it if a little surprised.

Bigyinn, most definately not.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bigyinn, most definately not.

I would assume that’s why he’s a little surprised!!

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

you’re not her union rep so would not be expected to offer anything other than support.
    support been – taking notes on her behalf, if you feel up to it.

a union rep would be able to fully represent. they’d have access to the redundancy policies, should be aware of the selection process and should be able to advise on suitable redeployment etc.

Unions – if you’re not in one, join one. You will need them one day.

and it keeps me in work 😳

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Staff Redundancy – Been asked to ‘represent’ a member of staff’ is closed to new replies.