Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • St Sunday
  • mattkkitch

Looking at a relatively short ride based on St Sunday Crag.

Would the best route be up to Grisedale Tarn, left to Hause Gap then up to Fairfield and follow the path to St Sunday and continue on? Or any other suggestions?

Pieface

Here’s a suggestion don’t go up St Sunday Crag?

mattkkitch

Reason being?

justinbieber

I’ve not done St Sunday from Fairfield, but there’s a track directly to St Sunday from Grisedale Tarn which is how I get there after climbing Grisedale Beck.

Alternatively do it in reverse and go up St Sunday, along the ridge heading west, then drop down to Grisedale Tarn and Grisedale Beck.

Both are equally good.

mattkkitch

@justinbieber yea know the one you mean. Only ever ridden up Grisedale Beck never particularly appealed as a descent.

Pieface

Becasue St Sunday Crag is popular with walkers and there’s no right of way there for cyclists, which doesn’t paint us in a great light when there’s legitimate trails just a stones throw away.

However if you insist on doing this riding, going up Fairfield first is not recommended as its incredibly steep, and the ridge descent down Cofa Pike will be unrideable. Instead take the track from Brother’s Parting stone up to Deepdale Hause.

mattkkitch

@pieface
    Yes fair point. The reason I’m looking at St Sunday is we have a rare opportunity to ride mid week, never ridden it as aware it would be better avoided at the weekend. I find giving way to walkers and being nice and saying Hi goes a long way.
    Appreciate the advice.

Pieface

I also think the route would be better done anti-clockwise, as the descent off the northern end is short and steep, whereas the other way is long and steady.

thekettle
    Free Member

If you don’t mind a longer loop, starting from the top of Dunmail Raise (on the A591) gives you a 30min walk/push to Grisedale tarn, and then once you’ve been up over St Sunday you can return via Helvellyn, descending via Birkside (classic rocky plummet) to the South end of Thirlmere. There’s a traffic free tarmac cycle path leading from Wythburn back up to Dunmail to the West side of the main road.
    EDIT: Just read ‘relatively short’ in your OP! Maybe return via Grisedale valley instead of Helvellyn..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘St Sunday’ is closed to new replies.