• This topic has 39 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • SSUK update.
  • charliedontsurf

A few quick things.

It’s all sorted after a long evening of intensive planning at the finish line location.
    I have spent all the money
    A pig will be killed
    The event souvenir is not a t-shirt, but is very nice and worth almost £20. And I don’t have to dick around with “how medium is a medium shirt, I normally take medium, but I am very anxious that it might be a bit too big, or even a bit small, I lost some weight last year, but it’s been so wet this winter that I hardly ride…..”
    However shirts may become available to buy in advance.

There have been a few concerns raised, probably by people who are not attending, but I don’t want anyone to lose sleep or have to spend extra money with their therapist:

I have been making this up as I go along. Busking my pants off, and now everything important is in place.

What has been said earlier, may not be the case on the weekend. Many details have changed: the date, there is a fee, the Dorset rough riders MTB club are marshalling the iffy road crossing, the bit where it’s easy to get lost, and anywhere that the risk assessment rides showed as iffy. We are an actual affiliated proper club.

It’s not a race,It’s a reliability trial, at 25 miles per lap and the keen guys going for 2 laps, it won’t be flat out. There may well be a tattooist at the finish. There might be racing, but that is something else, not the main event, and it may involve a wall of death pursuit race or beach racing (not all details are nailed down) .

It’s on my local trails, all bridle paths and this is a small community, and people know who i am and where to find me, I don’t want to fight off angry farmers throwing dead burning sheep through my door., so everyone will be told not to be a dick, slow for walkers, don’t skid, be nice, only crash into yourself, stay classy. Break any one of those rules and I will wee in your helmet, break more than one rule and it will be whilst you are still wearing your helmet.

The format is no different to the 1000 people wiggle sportive, or the Sunday morning dual carriageway TT. On a local level our 150 ish riders is a drop in the pond. The sandbanks ferry will be conveying 50 cyclists, three times an hour, all day, everyday… out of Poole and into the neighbourhood.

I attended wiggles impressively organised event, and the 1000 people were so spread out it was barely noticeable. Just like any other Sunday really. I think they missed some excellent trails (shame) and went down a very fast wide descent (not challenging but risky), but we will be pushing our bikes up that one. Our route takes in the best bits, but where it can get busy, we are climbing, or avoiding in favour of the legal singletrack nearby.

What may appear as a cheeky thrown together drunken shambles is in fact a well planned cheeky thrown together drunken shambles (refering to the whole weekend). I’ve done the whole lot by myself, a team of one, testing a theory that we can have an event without debt and hassles, and the hurdles that have stopped events previously. What started out as an informal gathering has evolved into a cycling club doing an off road sportive( with a roasted pig ) . The money is all spent now, but I hope there is a legacy for 2014. Someone can pick up this model and do the same next year, and the year after. If we go back to full on closed circuit XC racing, that is ace, but we also have this option, so never again will the proud and honourable one speed gentlemen of Great Britain have to go without a good knees up.

richen987
    Free Member

can’t wait, have been training* lots in preperation!

*drinking

but well done, will be a great weekend! 😆

Cheezpleez

Hurrah! Nice one Charlie

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

We bow to your most awesomeness Sir Charlie.

Arise the singular speeders wiv mostest rad Skilz, flock togeva, enjoyz, rideoutz, eat meatz, drink beerz.

We will try not to let you down, nor our most awsomnez selves.

😆

dave360

keeping in the spirit of slackness I hasn’t entered yet, but will..er soon.

mattjg
    Free Member

A pig will be killed

I’m a vegetarian, so require sacrifice of a dandelion please.

mattjg
    Free Member

Brilliant we get to do Sandbanks ferry. I’ve always loved Sandbanks ferry, it feels like the gateway to another world if you start from the Poole end.

It’ll have the effect of spreading out the pack too, and making an enforced chill-out zone while waiting.

Thanks for the update and the graft Charlie.

Ringo
    Free Member

It sounds crap glad I’m not going 🙁

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m gutted I’ve had to drop out 🙁 Bloody family gatherings..

mattjg
    Free Member

DBW sack your family, question of priorities here …

aa
    Free Member

Good man charlie,

hope everything goes to plan and that all the attendees have a great time.

gil_

…will there be stickers 😉

psling
    Free Member

Looking forwards to it. Will you be there too Charlie or are you getting away somewhere for the weekend?

charliedontsurf

Mattjg… The event is not going on the ferry, I was illustrating that the area will already be packed with cyclists.

charliedontsurf

Gil, are you still alive?
    Yes I need to have a chat with you.

cardo

Thanks for the update Charlie.. looking forward to it.

Houns

Women not allowed?

Cheezpleez

Sacrifice of a dandelion

I seem to remember ordering a lake of fondue. Don’t worry Matt, I’ll take responsibility for providing cheese and dandelions 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

Mattjg… The event is not going on the ferry.

sniff

Keef
    Free Member

Ringo – Member
    It sounds crap glad I’m not going

so is everyone else 😆

ontor
    Free Member

Charlie – you’re a gentleman and a scholar. Bravo!

timbur
    Free Member

Trust me, the ferry is a gateway to a different world. A slow, chilled, way back in time kind of place.
    One side is full of rich “we hide behind walls” types and the other is not so full of people that are still amazed by electricity and the automobile.
    Tim “Dorset through and through” Burden :O)

(god I miss the place)

gil_

Gil, are you still alive?
    Yes I need to have a chat with you.

…in a few more bits than I used to be but yes, still here

fodmtbguides
    Free Member

Yeah, bring it on………(but only if there’s stickers lol!)

wwaswas

Sounds great 🙂

I suspect I can’t go 🙁

qwerty
    Free Member

😈

😈

miketually
    Free Member

I can’t make it because it’s too far away, but it sounds ace and I’m jealous.

Can that bloke’s dog go?

Ringo
    Free Member

thats my Dog and i cant go 🙁 **** working

singlecrack
    Free Member

Thanks for taking it on and organising it Charlie …..I’m sure it will all go to plan …..if not there is always cheese ,wine, and beer …….looking forward to it …see you all there 😀

Tom-B
    Free Member

Is your dog still gonna head down though gingo?

Muke
    Free Member

Thanks Charlie, looking forward to it 😀

How many entries all together then ?

Keef
    Free Member

Ringo’s dog can come down with me if she wants………

charliedontsurf

About 170 entries,

There are folk who are coming from the colonies: drunkcyclists.com from Arizona, and surly from Minneapolis.

I’m going to close the entry at the end of the month.

Hope it stops snowing before we start camping.

sp
    Free Member

Good work Charlie looking forward to it, hope you have quiet camping LOL

+1 for Keef to bring Ringos dog 😀

pop-larkin
    Free Member

If Keef brings ringo’s dog the pig may be saved 😉

sp
    Free Member

But pop you know a good spit-roast cant beaten

Keef
    Free Member

ah Pop, you wouldn’t do that to poor Willow, there’s more meat on a sparrow…. 😉

oh,and well done that chap (Charlie) good vibe going already !

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Well she did bark at me the other day!
    Spit roast- difficult to beat yessiree

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve just ridden a reccie of the course ( ok not THE course, but something like ) and I thought I read in the rules that Charlie was going to flatten Borden and Nine Barrows…
    It’s a bit lumpy and a bit gloopyest and a tad windy up top today.

I’m a bit knackered. 😆

Muke
    Free Member

Well looking on the bright side at least no rear mechs are going to be ripped off in the gloop 😀

Only 3 weeks to go 😯

Was there a plan for a ride out of some sort on Saturday as well as main reliability trail on Sunday ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘SSUK update.’ is closed to new replies.