Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • SSUK – how’s it going to work?
  • allankelly

Hi, after the fantastic SSUK08 @ Drumlanrig (coinciding with my 40th =) we’re all signed up for SSUK09. Really looking forward to it. But….

As I understand it, we’re turning up in Dalby Forest on the Sat, and there’s a bit of a party on the Sat night. Then the “race” on Sunday, obligatory beer will consumed. And then prize-giving and next year’s race location by some ridiculous competition or other…

And then we have to vacate the forest by 6pm. Ehhhhh… how? Knackered beered-up cyclists driving cars and vans is not likely to go down well.

In the interest of having a good time, should the race not be on Sat so we can have a damned good drink, a damned good party and enough time to sober up before 6pm Sunday? There could be non-race rides on Sun, I understand that Dalby has loads to ride.

Cheers, al.

ton

i am gonna get to the front on the singletrack and block it so all the racing snakes cant get past……. 😉

allankelly

Yes, but seriously….
    I’m more interested in the social than the “race”. And right now it’s looking more race than social. It’s a worry. It’s a rare weekend off!
    al.

funkynick

Ummm.. so is there no camping from Friday evening this time?

ton

there is a campsite very near the event hq for friday night…

rosqo
    Free Member

I like the idea of a Saturday afternoon race, I think last year it started about 1pm, and then drinking and dancing through the night with Sunday to recover and all head off at 6pm. Gives people plenty of time to get there by 1pm for the race and lets every one be legal for driving home. Do we know if there is a Beer stop this year?

SSUK09
    Free Member

Believe me by Sunday morning you won’t want to see any beer for quite sometime 🙂

Standard format as previous years, party the night before the race, wake up with hangover and try and race, that’s the way we roll…

allankelly

The party-proper at Drumlanrig was the night after the race. Also for SSWC Aviemore. Worked very well. Having to drive at 6pm is going to put a damper on things.
    al.

SSUK09
    Free Member

To be totally honest it’s more a case of people not being able to camp on the event field on the Sunday night, we will not push you out of the forest, but the toilets etc. have to be cleared away Sunday evening.

We have to pay the Forestry to allow you guys to camp on the event field and there is not enough left in the budget to pay for you to stay a second night on the field

There are serveral camp sites in the forest very near the event field, if you can’t control your desire for beer book some camping for the Sunday night nearby, hell you can even come and help us clear up!

Del

talking to my mate about this last night. don’t really fancy driving back to exeter after riding etc. so will be investigating the campsite i think. bit of a pita, but hey-ho.

uplink
    Free Member
    SSUK09
    Free Member

Nearest site is High Rigg, about 5 minute ride from event field

Here

jonathan
    Free Member

Yep – it’s really close.

Event: Event site

Nearest campsite: High Rigg Farm

stumpynya12
    Free Member

It will all work ok, trust us and lets all just play nicely together “ I can already feel the love beginning to flow” . You never know we may even get a suuny weekend.

Nick part of the SSUK09 crew.

Wiredchops
    Free Member

Aye,
    Have to say, every SSUK I’ve been to has been very well organised fantastic value and amazing fun. Give the guys a chance lads! They’ve sorted out a massive party on the Saturday night, does it really matter if you have to race the day after? As far as I know that’s the whole point. If you want to stay another night sort it out yourselves. Chuff me.

Did the Kielder Enduro a couple of weekends ago. £50 in entry fee + accomodation we had to arrange ourselves, not so much as a free chuffin’ burger. The ‘BBQ’ they put on served finest rat burgers at a price. Good event but my wallet cried all the way round.
    The SSUK has always been the most fun and best value for money event I’ve ever been to.

And it’s in Yorkshire this year. Huzzah!

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Thanks Wiredchops, Gil & his crew of most willing helpers have already put massive effort and time into trying to make sure “everbody” racer,fun rider,drinker, families, little lads & lasses etc etc have a brilliant time. They have covered everthing as best they can . It will be a good event for all, I promise you that.

Cheers, Nick just a little part of the SSUK09 team

allankelly

Sure, “If you think you can do it better then host it yourself” – obviously I’m really grateful for the organisation of the event and it’ll be a great hoot either way.

All I was suggesting is race Sat instead of Sun.

See you there! We’re planning a trip home via the lakes or maybe newcastleton on the Sun evening for monday riding. Yes we have Monday off too!

Cheers, al.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

No probs al, I will buy you a pint on the night on behalf of the team and put me on your dance card, I will be wearing a pink frock and a red rose !!!!! See you there, Nick SSUK09

postierich
    Free Member

Me thinks the event is losing its uniqueness!

Too much worring about keeping people happy and making sure they have a good time,
    1.Find a suitable route thats ridable/pushable
    2.Find a field, dig a hole for the lavs
    3.Everybody that turns up should be self sufficent water/beer/food
    4. Nick 4 shopping trolleys for the bbq source local wood / livestock to burn and eat.
    5. Compulsory derby at 12 last man riding is crowned king/queen and branded on the still smouldering shopping trolleys!

Might bid for the next one 😉

father
    Free Member

Alan,

Will you be ‘racing’ or will you be positioned at the first available hazard waiting to get incriminating pictures of the unwary or ill prepared?

allankelly

father: I got about 350 shots last year which are all here:

Al’s SSUK08 Slideshow

I’m being chivvied into actually riding, but I’m in 2 minds….

Cheers, al.

rosqo
    Free Member

lets hope you don’t get taped to your chair this year again!

sheldona
    Free Member

I do like PR thoughts, maybe just maybe we can talk about this Rich 🙂 I have some strong thoughts about the above but will keep them to myself :-I

allankelly

Ross you bastard!
    (Good SS blast round GT last night BTW. I still hate you though.)
    al.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘SSUK – how’s it going to work?’ is closed to new replies.