Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • SSUK cancelled
  • tommid
    Free Member

Just got the email and I am gutted. The one event that I take part in each year.

Whose sorting next years? If I can help in any way let me know.

drofluf
    Free Member

Did they say why?

tommid
    Free Member

The email copied below

Bad news I’m afraid.

Thanks for your support and entry to the race, it means a lot to know people out there get what you’re trying to do. The postcard entries have been inventive, artistic and at times obscene; everything we hoped they would be.

And so it’s only fair you get this before the general mail out.

This week hasn’t been a good one.

First off the access track to Lee Quarry has sustained a lot of damage due to the amount of rain we’ve been getting all summer. We were hoping that either the track would be repaired in time or we’d be allowed to repair it. In it’s present condition I wouldn’t want to take my van up there, which means the upper car park area is out of bounds. This has the knock on effect of meaning we need security to cover the lower car park and with only one firm available for us to use would add £1000 to the race costs. This would be the largest single cost of the race.

Secondly I’ve just found out I’m being made redundant from my proper job, the one that pays the bills. This means I can’t afford to lose more than the money I’ve already put into the race so far.

I’m sure you can see where this is going.

At this point we’ve got three options.

1) Pay for security and plow on ahead.

2) Scale down the race, reduce entry fee and let people sort their own accomodation

3) Cancel SSUK2012

After a lot of soulsearching and taking advice from friends, we’ve had to choose 3

We wanted to organise a race where everyone camped, rode and raced together. Where everything happened in ashared space, we wanted it to feel inclusive. we wanted everyone to go away feeling good about the whole weekend. That was the original reason we moved the event from Gisburn where everything would have been spread out. That was the reason we invested time to organise the event.

We’re still a way off covering costs.
    Paying an extra £1000 to park cars feels inherently wrong.
    To reduce the race compromises what we set out to achieve.

To be fair to you guys we feel the only thing to do at this point is cancel.

But.

We’ve a weekend put aside to ride bikes and we fully intend to do so. If you’re committed to heading up/down still and want a weekend riding one speed bikes shout now.

Hebden and the best the South Pennines has to offer? http://www.hebdenbridge.co.uk/accommodation/index.html
    (Unfortunately the bunkhouse is booked, we’ve already checked)

Everyone will be getting refunded tonight.

tommid
    Free Member

I’m heart broken, I love SSUK. Its a proper git, but I understand it is a ball ache to arrange.

I would love to organise it if I had the time, I plan on doing it in the next few years in Thetford, once I have sorted all of the infrastructure and logistics with the different groups.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Real shame

What costs are SSUK out?
    I am happy to chip into the pot so they are not out of pocket as they have had soem rotten luck this year and it would seem a shame that those who oragnise fo rnothing should be punished like this

I entered via mate [ oooh er missus] so cannot e-mail directly

Would it not be a nice thing for all the beardy weirdies to cover the costs?

Brownbacks
    Free Member

We run a singlespeed sub category generously sponsored by Charlie the Bikemonger.

We have one race left 14th Oct.

We can run a full category and sort out other logistics to make it worth the extra effort for riders to race.

I’m sure the goodwill off STW will see informal ride outs and friendly pubs being sorted.

It won’t be SSUK in all it’s normal glory and chaos but it will be a chance to have a race and a bit of weekend with other SS’ers

Let me know

miketually
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear about the cancellation, and even more so about your redundancy; hope you get something sorted out.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i agree with this fella:

…I am happy to chip into the pot so they are not out of pocket as they have had soem rotten luck this year and it would seem a shame that those who oragnise fo rnothing should be punished like this…

towen
    Free Member

Man I’m gutted, can understand why though. Feeling for the guys who tried to organise this years. Hope he gets new job soon!

I’ve always want to have the event held at Swinley Forest, amazing single track there. only difficulty being the camping.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh cheesey bad luck there chaps..

Sounded like you lot had a whale of a time..

Muke
    Free Member

That’s a real shame for all involved.

I’ve always want to have the event held at Swinley Forest, amazing single track there. only difficulty being the camping.

Do Broadmoor not do B and B ? 😉

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

That’s really gutting 🙁
    I built a new bike and everything!
    Good luck to the organiser in getting a new and betterer job.
    I’m up for brownbacks though.. None of this Midland splitter malarkey..

D0NK

🙁

still interested in a weekend of unofficial riding, will stay tuned for that.

ski
    Free Member

Noooo!

Such a shame..

The SSUK events I have been to in the past have been some of the best bike events I have ever been to, mostly for the faces that turn up to make it such a amazing event.

Hope the organiser sorts a job out soon, hopefully you will be in a better place for SSUK2013.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

“Midland splitter malarkey” miaow!

postierich
    Free Member

“Yeah sod that Midland splitter malarky” 😆

I,m up for a Gisburn Forest ride out if any one else fancies it,pub and cheeky camping nearby

miketually
    Free Member

Anyone in the North East want to meet up somewhere?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Right – what can folk shove together at short notice so that the event goes ahead in some shape or form?

Harry_the_Spider

Why not book the National Trust Base Camp in High Wray?

Good riding and far enough away from normal people that you can do what you like with your women’s clothes, beer and postcards. 😉

tazzymtb

“Midland splitter malarkey”

got a beard and every thing!

singlespeedstu

what can folk shove together at short notice so that the event goes ahead in some shape or form?

There’s another event organised already. Or so I hear 😉

No stoopid postcard needed to enter either. 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

Yeah but you lot dont like hills and snort cheese it needs to be in the north for proper riding I,ve seen your speeded up vids 😉

Stopped at Low Wray @ the weekend fantastic campsite no groups though!

glupton1976
    Free Member

SSStu – do I have to read all of that ^ to find out when, where and what it is?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Ssstu……more info needed ???

ssjeff
    Free Member

You can’t say your doing ssuk then cancel it (well you can) shame I’m sure ‘Dave’ did what he could and should be thanked for trying and being man enough to stick his hand up cancel when it wasn’t going to happen.

It now looks like this years SSUK champs will be decided somewhere in the midlands or possibly on an Internet forum !

Any chance of a refund on me postcard and stamp 😉

tazzymtb

if only there was a place on a book of faces for users of one cog, where such things were discussed 😕

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Right i’m off onto the moors with a tent, cheese,biscuits beer and meself instead.

singlespeedstu

:lol:@ tazz.

Rich.
    I’ll not be there either.
    I’ll be up some French mountains.
    If I do any vids I’ll slow them down for you so they look more like your riding. 8)

postierich
    Free Member

High Wray looks good and does big groups (38)£14pppn with Low Wray campsite nearby.

Prepared to semi organise!

http://www.independenthostelguide.co.uk/selected-accommodation.php?hostel=42

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

got a beard and every thing!

I’m still not going, not unless I’m actually allowed to race… We still do that, don’t we?

tazzymtb

We still do that, don’t we?

some of us even do it against gearies on a regular basis 😉

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I thought that the primary purpose of singlespeed is to cause geared upset..

wwaswas

the primary purpose of singlespeed is to cause geared upset gurning on the steep bits

ftfy

charliedontsurf

Shame, but no worries, I’m gonna head way south and go saddle tramping in France for a while instead.

Previously on here I have offered to run SSUK, on a somewhat basic basis, Avoiding all the costs, hassles, and troubles… near the seaside and a really great pub. Striped back to campsite, pub instead of marquee, pub gig instead of roller racing, fish and chips instead of powerbars, off road sportive format rather than official race, no entry fees, no insurance, no medics, no marshalls. no gears, no fuss. (No moaning from northerners that the “Race” is nearer France than Macclesfield )

Offer still stands for 2013.
    Unless someone tells me to stop. It’s the last weekend of May 2013
    25/26/27th May 2013
    Bank holiday weekend
    Friday eve… Pub
    Saturday… Ride, beach party, ” special cycling event”. fish and chips.
    Sunday… The “race thing” and pastys and rural pub gig
    Monday… take it easy,

Race HQ and probably the finishing line…

dave360

in the dairy, er I mean diary chazzy baby

ski
    Free Member

charlie, any chance of some surf action locally too?

In the dairy here too 😉

southcoastsprints
    Free Member

we can always provide the roller racing for a south coast event if needed 🙂

somafunk

Sounds good charlie – i’ll be up for that. I’ve finally been getting back on the bikes this year after laying off it since i kind-off borked my Soulcraft up at SSWC/Aviemore in 2007, haven’t really rode at all since i lost interest in bikes after we put on SSUK2008 at Drumlanrig…..but i’ll be back next year – got a helluva lot of catching up wi folk to do and apologising for dropping off the scene completely.

tommid
    Free Member

Yes Charlie, do it… I’m in. Will there be a T shirt to comemerate the weekend? Will there be a Clunker Classic element included?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh Swanage way?? Just down the coast from me.. hmmmm..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘SSUK cancelled’ is closed to new replies.