Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 231 total)
  • SSUK 2013
  • DrP

It is the square, yes…

DrP

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Sounds interesting, although it really isn’t that hard to organise a proper event. Nothing wrong with paying for an entry fee so long as you get your moneys worth IMO.

Del

That’s in the diary, now where the flippin eck is this “South” of which you speak?

follow the signs for ‘the south west’, turn left a bit, but not much. HTH.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, stop when you hit the sea or you’ll get wet.

Napalm
    Free Member

Well done Charlie for seizing the initiative, you’re a good ‘un.

Keen as mustard me.

charliedontsurf

Various answers to various questions:
    Yes the square and compass at worth matravers. Best pub in the world
    Yes family and kiddy friendly, but watch the kids near the sea cliffs. And the pub chickens can be a bit beaky. if its ok for the famous five, it’s ok for your kids.
    Ssec… No clash, that’s in April, and will be very good. Those guys will put on an awesome event.
    Ringo can eff off. His hot mrs and hound are welcome in my tipi.
    WRT: that’s in Wales so it’s in the rain, where as this is in the sunshine in Dorset.
    Yes the route will involve dangerous cliff edge riding inc old Harry rocks
    Entry won’t be like “the gallery” from take hart, but I might nick their theme tune
    Yes it is too far away if you live in the oop north places of reasonable rent and sub thousand pound monthly mortgages… Fish and chips is about six quid down here. Guiness £3.85… Has that scared you orf?
    Clothes should be worn, but I can divert the race through a nudist beach… Sod it, let’s do that anyway. Seriously, the route now includes old men with “world of leather” wrinkles now. Blame Dr P, and pass the eye bleach.
    No entry fee. It makes folk look liable: nudists, cliffs, pubs, compulsory pasty stops… Dangerous litegous stuff. You will be paying for camping, t-shirts if you want them, but the “race thing” is free.

takisawa2

If I singlespeed it, can I bring the Ute…

Still going strong hauling kids, & occasional adults.

charliedontsurf

Ute is cool… You have room for a sound system and a few kegs

rOcKeTdOg

i’m in

singlespeedstu

Seems like singlespeeding is at last heading back in the right direction.
    Officials with clipboards can **** right off back where they came from. 😀

marty
    Free Member

Officials with clipboards can **** right off back where they came from.
    Have organised a couple. Countless hours and a fair bit of my own dough put in for other folks to enjoy a race and a bit of nonsense. You?

Both SSEC04 and SSWC07 were put on with the help of TLI who offered a lighter touch than other race insurers, but there was the same amount of form filling, risk assessments, first aid and marshalls in hi-viz.

Might be cool to think that you can put on races in a guerilla fashion, until it’s your arse hanging out or you **** chances of using a course for racing because you piss off a landowner…

Mal-ec
    Free Member
    qwerty
    Free Member

Charlie hatches a mighty fine plan.

tazzymtb

Marty, chill the …. out. You may find that the “gentleman” (I use the term loosely for Stu) was one of the organisers for the SSEC10 (still one of best events ever!) so knows all about red tape and the curse or bureaucracy that goes with things like this. 😆

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Yes it is too far away if you live in the oop north places of reasonable rent and sub thousand pound monthly mortgages… Fish and chips is about six quid down here. Guiness £3.85… Has that scared you orf?

Nah. it sounds just like Harrogate!

May have to sell the kids though (anyone?).

singlespeedstu

Have organised a couple. Countless hours and a fair bit of my own dough put in for other folks to enjoy a race and a bit of nonsense. You?

I helped to organise SSEC2010 as it goes so try getting down of that high horse. 😆

tazzymtb

so try getting down of that high horse

but only once a suitable and sufficient assessment of risk has been completed and a marshal in a high vis jacket is standing by with a radio link to St Johns ambulance. 😉

EDIT: sorry forgot this was singlespeeding

a marshal in a high vis jacket is standing by with a radio link to St Johns ambulance the beer tent

singlespeedstu

Do you know anyone that could perform such a risk assessement tazz? 😉

tazzymtb

not anyone I’d trust with my life Stu… 😆

singlespeedstu

A wise choice. 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

so try getting down of that high horse.

Glad the bitching has stopped and we’re back to talking about 29erz again.

charliedontsurf

Marty, I think SSS was referring to paperwork and red tape not the legends who organise the races for us.

One plan is to start an SSUK cycling club, membership would include the weekend event. We affiliate the club with another cycling organisation for a few quid and then we have liability insurance for our event. Throw in a risk assessment and we in.

This would allow us to run Reliability trials, and time trials for up to 200 people. This means we wont be tied to private land, and have access to rights of way. This is the format of the wiggle off road sportives, where 1,000 riders will be going down my local singletrack in November.

And here is a thought… If the ss community wants to get together in a field and compare themselves to each other (as I write this I know what the posts that follow will be like, but hey ho, let’s go) in a way the replicates or is typical of the riding most ss folk do, an XC race is not typical, a reliability trials over the hills and byways taking in cake shops and houses of refreshment is more typical.

Once I have sorted the SSUK cycling club out, it and all the insurance etc stuff is already in place. So if in 2014 and beyond, our xc race falls through like this year, there will be a structure in place that will allow folk to put on an event more easily than a full on XC. It might turn out that the sportive reliability trial format is more appreciated?

What do you guys think about this SSUK cycling club thing?

singlespeedstu

I think you’ve just about hit the nail on the head there Charlie.

Some of the most fun events I’ve ever done have been low key and cheap to enter reliability trials.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t join any club that would have someone like me as a member. 😀
    Apart from that, great idea 😀

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Sounds great Charlie- where do I send my postcard 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

When I grow up I want to be just like CtB

ronjeremy
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member
    not anyone I’d trust with my life wife Stu…

Erm that’ll be me then…..

marty
    Free Member

I helped to organise SSEC2010 as it goes so try getting down of that high horse.
    You get a great view of posturing from up here…

Charlie – sounds like an interesting plan.

Clink

Sounds a great idea Charlie.

rexated
    Free Member

I don’t know who Ringo is, but if his dog is going I’m well up for it.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Sounds great 🙂

tazzymtb

@ ron jeremy- hello chap, how the devil are you? haven’t seen you since the FoD singlespeed bimble!!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

afternoon Tazz old bean I’m just about to pop out for an afternoon at the local hostelery, I’m good thanks, how’s you?

Pencilled this event into the diary, so be good to see you for a shandy if you’re there, must pop back over to FoD at some point

tazzymtb

ron if you are on that facebooky thingy, get yourself onto one cog cycling….lots of beer, boobs and bikes….and a few ride organised things as well

tommid
    Free Member

In there like swim wear. Charlie and ssuk go hand in hand, bring it on.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Tazzy request sent on that there faceacheymebob

Tom83

If the SS club goes ahead, will there be stickers? 😉

aa
    Free Member

charlie, it’s a great idea. To register an unsponsored club will cost c£90. At £5 a head that will be 14 riders needed to cover costs. That should be easily reached. From that point, club members have the club through which to organise and have access to liability insurance (Although i think this is an extra cost). The marco polo team has previously worked on this informal level. You pays your subs, you can race for the team.

I would be happy to volunteer for secretary/membership secretary.

singlespeedstu

You get a great view of posturing from up here…

*Marty in an i’m more singlespeedy than yow shocker* 😆

Andy

Purbecks…Singlespeed….Camping in a field…..CtBM: Me and my dog are in!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 231 total)

The topic ‘SSUK 2013’ is closed to new replies.