Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SS whats a good set up?
  • womble72
    Free Member

I’m looking to overhaul the Swift and want to know what cranks, chain, front and rear cogs to buy. What makes should I be looking for? Does anyone have a really tidy set up they could post a photo for Inspiration.

oxym0r0n

Just use the cranks you’ve got, then 3/32″ chain. Surly are long lasting rear cogs, Salsa, velosolo etc. for nice front cogs. Oh, and you’ll probably need a spacer kit too…

cynic-al
    Free Member

What he said.

oxym0r0n

What he said.

😯

muckytee
    Free Member

I use a Renthal sr4 chain ring, looks sweet. On one groove armada sprocket. KMC Z610 HX chain, Halo do a good spacer kit with different size spacers, to set up the chain line.

All underlined words are links to the product on Charlie the bike mongers site 🙂

bigblackshed

Sorry, but it’s a sprocket not a cog. A cog is slang for a gear, which meshes with another gear. As in gear box.

😉 😉

drofluf
    Free Member

As above, although I wouldn’t go for a Surly cog, nice as they are until you know what ratio you want. I started at 32:16, flirted with 32:18 before settling on 34:18. Then you can buy he nice cogs, or even stump for a bling freewheel.

baznav73
    Free Member

Or you could go for a good spread of gears and enjoy riding a much bigger spread of trails 😉

tazzymtb

rotor Q up front

with a nice WI sprocket on a bling hub

takisawa2

33t Goldtec Wobble ring up front (courtesy of that Tazzy bloke up there^^^)…

IMAG0335 by pten2106, on Flickr
    Surly hub & 16t WI freewheel out back…

IMAG0334 by pten2106, on Flickr

Keef
    Free Member

baznav73 – Member

Or you could go for a good spread of gears and enjoy riding a much bigger spread of trails

some peeps need multiple gears,some don’t……. 😉

womble72
    Free Member

Ooh thanks fellas. Some great Info and photos. Cranks and chain rings, are they all interchangable or specific cranks for specific rings?

tazzymtb

mostly interchangeable with exception of XTR, WI cranks and ring and middleburn Uno’s (give or take a smidge of tweaking)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SS whats a good set up?’ is closed to new replies.