Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SS road bike, am I mad (pompino content)
  • muckytee
    Free Member

I’m going over to the dark side:

I fancy building up a single speed (not a fixie) road bike for use on B roads. I’m hoping to be riding around the Pennines and into Leeds way. What mileage could I accomplish in one ride? Is an On One pompino any good for my purposes?

or will I need a proper aluminium geared road bike?

Cheers MT

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I had a langster and wasn’t concerned with the lack of gears on hills but there’s nothing more grim, and I mean nothing, than grinding into a headwind on a rainy day on a single speed roadbike.

matty456
    Free Member

I’ve got a SS pomper and I love it. Mostly for its simplicity. I’ve got 44 / 16 gearing and it’s good for road, don’t spin out much. Hills are a bit if a challenge sometimes, also use it cx got schwable cx tyres which are also good for road. Flip flop hub for fixed too. Bit of a multi use bike you might say!

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Why not go fixed? Makes much more sense on the road.

muckytee
    Free Member

Why not go fixed? Makes much more sense on the road.

I assume my legs will be torn off going downhill

oldnpastit

If you ever enter any kind of Sportive you’ll have to accept that on all the long draggy climbs or slogs into the wind you will have a little following of geary riders sucking on your wheel, but that as soon as the road points upwards, or there’s a gentle downhill with a following wind, they will all disappear leaving you once again on your own.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

You assume wrong. Lern 2 spin, it’s worth it for the uphills

edhornby

I have geared and SSFixed bikes – get gears for weekend rides, fixed for daily commuting

Keef
    Free Member

fixed.it’s the only way…

TiRed

Fixed. Anyone else is just pretending. I ride 100+ miles a week on mine, mainly commuting. Now riding 48:16 (or 48:15 on lighter wheels) but it’s not too hilly where I live. Geared for 19 mph (cadence = speed x 4.5). The standard 42:16 you will see recommended is better for hillier terrain (cadence = speed x 5), but I felt held back on the flat.

Depending on terrain, rides of 40 miles should be fine, even with downhills. My longest day is a 43 mile commute each way including the Col du Northolt. Which is a grind. With twin panniers.

Geared is for training, races and sportives when I want to keep up. But I still ride a 19 mph chain gang on fixed.

Oh and the pompino is heavy. I’d look for a Langster for lightness. Or a Kona Paddy Waggon for loveliness.

paul4stones

You’ll be fine but I think the compromises with SS are greater on the road. Riding alone is fine but in a group or with friends requires some application, or draughting 🙂

I got a pomp frame at Christmas in the sale and I’m v happy with it. Is not light or fast but comfortable and relaxed – perhaps a mountain bikers road bike.

velomanic
    Free Member

My single-speed roadie isn’t fixed as I don’t fancy pedal-strike while cornering on fast descents (some big hills around here).

epicyclo

paul4stones – Member
    …I got a pomp frame at Christmas in the sale … a mountain bikers road bike.

A perfect description of the Pompino. 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SS road bike, am I mad (pompino content)’ is closed to new replies.