Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • SS gear ratio for 700c commuter: what do you run?
  • Talkemada
    Free Member

Right, my current hack bike has actually finally died (frame snapped today). I have a tatty old Trek hybrid frame what Kevevs found dumped outside Barclays Bikes in Dalston a few years ago. Just needs a mech hanger, and it's good to go. I have a pair of 700c wheels, and will just swap most of the other bits over.

I was running 38/16 on the 26", but what's a good equivalent for a 700c hybrid? I need a gear low enough to give me good low-end torque in traffic and from lights, but not too low that I'm spinning like mad on the flats. London, so not too many hills. But reasonable enough so Im not struggling coming home late at night when I'm tired, or when I'm laden with shopping etc.

What do you lot ride? Any tips?

qwerty
    Free Member

depends how long the string is, 70" usually

tip

😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

depends on your tyre size a bit.

26×1.9 will size up similar to 700x25c

so gear ratios about the same…

i run 42:16/17 on a pompino. 25/32/35c tyres.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

have a play

RichPenny
    Free Member

42:16 at the moment, which isn't too bad. I'm considering going to 15 or 14 but there are a couple of steep subways which might be a grind on the commute, plus a big hill behind the house I might eventually get up in 42:16.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I'm now on 44:15 in London. 700cc 23 tyres.

Took a bit of getting used to as started on 42:16 which came with the bike but the legs have toughened up now!

MM

Talkemada
    Free Member

Hmm, was thinking of starting off with 42/16, then go from there.

I'm more of a 'spinner' than a 'grinder', so prefer a slightly lower gear than some people. I've seen some folk with 48t chainrings! that looks a bit high.

Oh, and I'll probably be on 700x38c tyres. Dunno if this makes a difference. Same width as I'm running on the 26".

billysan
    Free Member

I run 48/16 with 23mm tires. Needs a fair shove to get it going from the lights but can still get up all the hills I encounter. A gear this big also means you can stay with the traffic and not be spinning like a wild thing.

thomthumb
    Free Member

that sounds like it might be a tiny bit high to me. if you've got the rings go for it. if your buying a new chainring i'd try the old ring first.

with a bigger wheel you need a lower ratio not a higher one all things equal.

ourmaninthenorth

72" for me (44×16 on 25c). Works fine for flat central Manchester and perfect for riding over lumps, too.

Nice easy gear to get away from lights, and spins up nicely for rolling along with the traffic. Tend not to hammer riding to work, so don't need a big gear.

edhornby

it all depends on what is the worst hill you'll ride on it. London is pretty flat and you'll be able to get up to a big gear if you are feeling hardcore but if not then don't worry about it

I ride round manchester on 18/16 but I've been riding fixed since I was in school so I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point.

try 44/16 and then you can up the chainring size when you get the bug 🙂

oh yeah, same gear size rules apply to fixed and free but don't ride fixed without a brake like some of the eejits round here do, brakes are a good idea 🙂

crazy-legs

48:17 on my roadie SS (around Manchester), it gets me up to about 30mph but I can still do all the hills.

SeanOrange
    Free Member

44:16 for me, on 23 or 25c tyres can't remember which. Commuting in Teesside, fairly flat but last half mile on way home is uphill 🙄
    Going to fit bike comp next week to keep track of speed & distance. I think I'm doing about 18mph average, HTH.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘SS gear ratio for 700c commuter: what do you run?’ is closed to new replies.