SS for the road ratio question?

Home Forum Bike Forum SS for the road ratio question?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • SS for the road ratio question?
  • Flashy

I run 40;16 around Bristol and that’s fine. Slightly lower if you take it down bridle paths, etc

prezet

48:17 fixed here

TiRed

42:16 is pretty normal for a fixed – about 68″. You are a little lower but this shouldn’t hold you back as you can coast downhill. Chain deflection should be less than half an inch vertically at the tightest point (chainrings aren’t round. Looks like you have a golden ratio.

don simon

48:17 fixed here

Norlfolk or Llanberis?

thomthumb

i run 42:16/17 the 17 is fine for solo rides/ commuting but need to have any chance of keeping pace with geared roadies.

don simon

Looks like you have a golden ratio.

My thought too, I’ll give it a go and see what happens.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

48:17 for me as well. Works fine over most stuff although I wouldn’t attempt to climb Winnats Pass on it!

Rorschach

39-16 here.I’m in no rush to get to work and it’s ok come Friday into a headwind.I’ll still cruise at 20mph.

jeffcapeshop

that’s pretty spinny for 20mph imo, i wouldn’t want to cruise like that for long

Elfinsafety

Pends dunnit. Higher gearing for high-pressure skinny tyres, lower for fatter tyred commuting and urban riding. I use a 38/16t combo here with 50-60psi 700/35c tyres in That London, and find it just spot on for riding in slow traffic, along towpaths and for when I’m laden with shopping, but it is a little bit low for longer road-riding. Spins out at about 18-20mph really, although most of the time I’m riding around at about 12-14 mph. Gets me up Highgate and Hampstead climbs easily enough though, and the acceleration’s good for getting out of the way of trouble in heavy traffic. If I take the rack and paraphernalia off, the bike’s a good bit lighter and could go to a 40 or 42/16t, but I also want to be able to ride home slowly from the pub when I’m knackered. 🙂

Find what’s comfortable for you, and your riding style, then stick with it.

don simon

It looks like I’m now going to have a SS road bike after destroying the rear mech, the chain and a bit of the cassette, basically making the bike an economic write off.
    A roadside bodge got the chain back on and at 39:16 seemed like a reasonable ratio. Thoughts on ratios? It currently runs a 39/53.
    I assume chain line is not an issue.
    No tensioner or means of tensioning as vertical dropouts and goosed hanger. The chain is quite tight so I assume not an issue.

39:16 good or not for North Shrops/Cheshire/(bit of)N. Wales?

prezet

Norlfolk or Llanberis?

Norfolk actually 😉
    But I’ve ridden the same gearing through south wales.

drofluf

48:16 here

ericemel

46:15 fixed here for a CX

Mush

48:17 here in Alpless London

partyboy1101

53:18 fixed in Yorkshire, can be hard graft on the steep hills

richpips

A question with no real answer, as it depends on where you ride, and how strong your legs are.

MrSalmon

45:16 in West Mids. Good on the whole but there are a few small hills where it feels like I’m doing about 15 rpm.

At the risk of stating the obvious though, it’s up to you to decide where you want to compromise. 45:18 was far to spinny for me on the flat. 42:16 was alright but any sort of downhill and you spin out very quickly.

Rorschach

39-16 gives 33kph (20mph) @ 100rpm.My average cadence over any distance on the geared road bike is always 96-98rpm.

_tom_

48-16 was a bit too easy for east midlands riding. 50 or 52 up front would probably be ideal.

don simon

A couple of hours out around Ellesmere, Whitchurch and Wem at an average of a dick hair over 17mph with 39:15. Happy, I think I’ve just found my winter bike. Now, which of the mtbs gets the singlespeed treatment. 😀

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

48:18 on my Pompino commuter and 52:18 on my winter training bike which just about keeps up with the geared boys on winter club runs.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

42/16 on this here charge plug fixed in rolling Warwickshire.

samuri

42:16 fixed for me, edge of the pennines, plenty of offroad.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘SS for the road ratio question?’ is closed to new replies.